Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 141 of 180
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Repairing Permission is not, I repeat, NOT, necessary in 99.999% of all installs....It is, however, something that should be done periodically just to check... so why not just do it before an install? Do it not because it's necessary to do it *at that time*, but just because it's a reminder to do it *at all*....And for the 0.001% of people who might be affected by an improper permission borking an install.. hey, they're covered.

This is the most sensible of posts in the whole Permissions Debate (tm). Along with the seat-belt analogy.

I'm just a regular ol' user, so I'll repair permissions, then update, repair permissions every now and then, and hell, I feel like repairing permissions later today, because it makes me feel good. Most important to me is Peace of Mind. Some suggest meditation and yoga, well, sometimes repairing permissions, like defragging your hard disk in Windows, has the same effect for me. Hell, just had breakfast, I'm gonna brush my teeth now and defrag my Windows hard disks in the meantime.

In any case, if not for Kickaha's post above, I would have ended up even more confused after two pages of this thread on the Permissions Debate (tm). But teh snappy is a smooth, warm feeling (like peeing in your pants*) and seeing 10.4.7 in About this Mac rounds off the warm and fuzzy experience that is the Mac. And I feel good that I have the latest *free* goodness of all the hard work of Apple engineering, some of the best minds on the planet. Plus I can stride about in confidence that my iBook is one of the most secure computing platforms in the world, and I can laugh at all the Antivirus/ Firewall/ Norton/ McAffee/ Anti-Spyware blah blah blah nonsense that chews up resources and severely interferes with the user experience on a Windows PC.

*This is strictly a joke, do not attempt in public.

PS. Franksargent: What the f0xk is your problem now still?

Being sardonic!

• Reply 142 of 180
    Just installed 10.4.7 on my Blakbook and it purrs like a kitten.
  • Reply 143 of 180
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    mmmm.... meow..... .... I just spilled some tea (dripped from the bottom of the cup) on my iBook keyboard. Had to quickly whip out my hankerchief and wipe off some of it. Keyboard looks okay for now...
  • Reply 144 of 180
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Repairing Permission is not, I repeat, NOT, necessary in 99.999% of all installs.

With exception of the Flash player. You need to repair permissions each time you install it. Even now, with the new Flash player 9, you get a shitload of repairs. And it's like this for years. When is Macrodobe going to fix this ?
  • Reply 145 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

(edit) I just had to find a way to use the word "pussy" in one of my posts today. [/B]

• Reply 146 of 180
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tonton

Hopefully, it was tea with some milk in it for the poor little pussy cat...(edit) I just had to find a way to use the word "pussy" in one of my posts today.

It was iced tea with milk... for me

But one of my USB ports on my iBook fully died today. Not related to the spillage, my USB ports are on the way out. My USB Scanner stopped working with them a few months ago. My USB Scanner still works on the PC.

One of my USB ports still works okay with external mice and thumb drives, but both USB ports do not work with the scanner.

Again this was before the spillage and before 10.4.7.

iBook is covered by AppleCare extended warranty for another 6 months, but I don't think I can get a free logic board replacement since I modded in a hard drive myself which I think they'll know. Plus hard to be without the iBook even for a few days.
  • Reply 147 of 180
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Just did the 10.4.7 jump last night with SU. Had to hard restart when it was done (well maybe I didn't HAVE to, but I'm an impatient sort ). Anyway everything is working beautifully now. There is a marked quickening in Dashboard's starting (about 18 widgets i think) which is very nice.
  • Reply 148 of 180
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I just wanted to pop in to share with everyone, my 5th upgrade for "Tiger," to 10.4.7, went just as smoothly as the last 4 . Maybe I have the luck of the Irish, or possibly an inordinate amount of patience, but I had no adverse "issues" to report what so ever . As in the past, and being a former M$ constituent, I did hold my breath - old habits and all of that .

In the spirit of propagating the "repair permissions" topic. I'm not bragging or complaining, but would just like to share that I started last September (2005) with 10.4.2, am now at 10.4.7 and have never repaired permissions . I do however, have complete system backups - using SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Oh! I recall with one of the upgrades, I had an application that failed to work following the upgrade. The author, or developer, of the application - can't recall exactly which app it was now, jumped on it and had a fix in a very short period of time. I do recall being amazed at how quickly the fix for the app was posted .

For what it's worth - there you have it...
  • Reply 149 of 180
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Well, have all of you who were so adamantly defending Apple read the other thread on AI? Apple "forgot" to include some files in the 10.4.7 install! These were probably not the cause of my problems, but they certainly do seem to be slipping in the QA department.

Whoa, duuuude.....we forgot the files...duuuuude....the files.

So, I guess Ill be rolling the dice again, once the update is posted. Get your shit together Apple.
  • Reply 150 of 180
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    (Sits back and waits)
  • Reply 151 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

IF you are installing or reinstalling to CORRECT an ISSUE

A definition of exact: Marked by strict and particular and complete accordance with fact.

A definition of ambigious: Equivocal: open to two or more interpretations; or of uncertain nature or significance; or (often) intended to mislead.

Funny thing is, both your links fully support my opinion! Thanks. 8)

But, this IS the "OFFICIAL" Apple document on updating HeX;

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303602

Follow those steps EXACTLY, especially number 7, otherwise you are DOOMED!

PS - "12 steps" and "AA" might be a facetious comment aimed at all this HeX exorcism/voodoo/meth lab cooks BS!

Actually, they don't. But your opinion on this is shortsighted, at best. While I haven't the time to look further, as I haven't been around much, I will find something soon, because Apple has given us advisement on this, no matter what you want to think. Even if THEY didn't, many other knowledgable writers in the business have, over the years, and most experienced people do know that it makes sense, even if you can get away with not doing it most of the time.

Remember that Apple does say that the installer for the upgrades do this checking by itself. They know it should be done, so they do it there.

It should be done for updates as well, even if they don't want to put most people through the process.
  • Reply 152 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Actually, they don't. But your opinion on this is shortsighted, at best. While I haven't the time to look further, as I haven't been around much, I will find something soon, because Apple has given us advisement on this, no matter what you want to think. Even if THEY didn't, many other knowledgable writers in the business have, over the years, and most experienced people do know that it makes sense, even if you can get away with not doing it most of the time.

Remember that Apple does say that the installer for the upgrades do this checking by itself. They know it should be done, so they do it there.

It should be done for updates as well, even if they don't want to put most people through the process.

More ambigious verbage, now that IS funny, VERY funny indeed!

One word. KISS!

Or more simply;

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

And if this works for 99.999+% of the user base (and I think it does as of 10.4.3 and above), then what strategy should most people attempt? KISS!

So how many people-years are wasted following your (or others (i. e. ambiguious)) strategy (strategies)? IMHO, not a very productive use of one's time!

It's all about risk management/mitigation and contingencies, and you should ALWAYS have a contingency (i. e. backup ) IF shit happens!

What's the PDF, or CDF. Google "Rayleigh PDF" and "wave forces" or "joint PDF" and "wave forces" and then maybe you would begin to grasp my field of expertise! Do you want a 3 sigma design or a 6 sigma design? Apple may not quantify it in such terms, their's may be a more organic assestment, nontheless the dev cycle get's them into the range of a 6 sigma design (I imagine).

CLI, sudo, chown, ch***, WTF, been there, done that, like 20 YEARS AGO!

From my observations it's a dynamic universe, not a static universe, and as such, things CHANGE!

For me it's all about risk, the warfighter, and mother nature (which I think is just SLIGHTLY more ambigious than the human condition), which I think is just SLIGHTLY more important than the entire HeX user base! Thank you very much!

• Reply 153 of 180
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    franksargent, your TimeCube is calling. Ah well, that's what the ignore list is for.
  • Reply 154 of 180
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

The most flawed computer-related statement to ever repeatedly come out of people's tongues.
  • Reply 155 of 180
    Quote:

TimeCube

That all seems quite reasonable, to me.

Free your brain, from the "word world" and "assumed math".

I love the internet.
  • Reply 156 of 180
    Quote:

franksargent, your TimeCube is calling. Ah well, that's what the ignore list is for.

I'm hoping for a 6 sigma design on the AI user's ignore lists, or haven't you figured that one out already?

• Reply 157 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The most flawed computer-related statement to ever repeatedly come out of people's tongues.

Obviously! I did dwell on including it for a while, but WTF, I thought I'd just leave it in for others to ponder the implications!

• Reply 158 of 180
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Kickaha

franksargent, your TimeCube is calling.

Whoa. There's probably some wisdom in there that's reconcilable with major thoughts on existence and spirituality.

But my main issue is, WTF, and then, did they have to use SUCH GIGANTIC FONTS?

Anyway, singularity is not bad, once you accept duality of existence, then once they cancel out, what do you have left? Nothing? Nothing could still be something -- so cancelling out of two dual natures leads to okay, nothing emptyness, perfect Peace? Then that is God, the *Third* aspect beyond our current dual-nature dual-perspective (good,evil) (yin,yang) etc. Didn't read the whole thing (see above on fonts too big and the rambling too intense) so anyways.... Singularity is only "evil" as it is because it is taught and accepted and reinforces non-duality. Accepting duality is the first stage for the next step.

Okay now I can start my own website. Hopefully with better use of fonts and layout.
  • Reply 159 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

franksargent, your TimeCube is calling.

Whoa. There's probably some wisdom in there that's reconcilable with major thoughts on existence and spirituality.

But my main issue is, WTF, and then, did they have to use SUCH GIGANTIC FONTS?

Multiplying two negative numbers yeilds a positive number (-1 x -1 = 1). He seems to try to draw deep conclusions by claiming it is -1. Even Newtonian physics cannot be properly described if it weren't the case and calculus becomes useless. If one is trying to "fix" math to better describe the universe, then it would be best to not break what works in doing so.

The alleged reasoning also involves trying to fight against something. I figure generally people that go font barfing to make a point just need to be disregarded.

I think that page can be used to ward off web designers, if not cause cardiac arrest.
  • Reply 160 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

That all seems quite reasonable, to me.

Free your brain, from the "word world" and "assumed math".

I love the internet.

No, it's just more silliness. Incorrect math doesn't help incoherent philosophy.