"NEW MIGHTY MOUSE" Someone has to do it??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok here's the deal. I don't have photoshop, or anything of the sort. So someone needs need to do the dirty work. I have the design in my head, it's pretty simple. Just one change to the current Mighty Mouse design. And when we're finished we leave a declaration at the bottom saying: "we pass on all rights of this idea and design to apple", and we then eMail apple the results. So then hopefully, Apple can just get on with making the damn thing. If Apple doesn't then at least we can say we tried. Any takers?

Here's the current one:

All you need to do in your mock-up is replace the scroll-ball on the top of the mighty mouse with an oval gray trackpad (same color as the white iPod's click wheel) about three times the diameter of the scroll ball in lenght, and twice the width. I hope it's already obvious how to scroll on this new mouse. That's right, you simply rub the oval trackpad with your finger in your own desired direction, and scrolling just happens. It's that SIMPLE!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    They should do that! I think there is a kensington mouse that has something similar.

They should also fix the lift to right click.

And make a BT one.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

All you need to do in your mock-up is replace the scroll-ball on the top of the mighty mouse with an oval gray trackpad (same color as the white iPod's click wheel) about three times the diameter of the scroll ball in lenght, and twice the width. I hope it's already obvious how to scroll on this new mouse. That's right, you simply rub the oval trackpad with your finger in your own desired direction, and scrolling just happens. It's that SIMPLE!

You realize, of course, that such a wheel would be one-dimensional, whereas the scroll ball is two-dimensional.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You realize, of course, that such a wheel would be one-dimensional, whereas the scroll ball is two-dimensional.

Please elaborate. (don't you mean 2D and 3D, no?)
  • Reply 4 of 130
    Quote:

Please elaborate. (don't you mean 2D and 3D, no?)

We're talking about replacing the scroll ball with a circular wheel like on the iPods, right? (Since you said "oval".)

Or are we talking about a rectangular one?

In the former case, you'd only be able to scroll vertically; in the latter, you'd be able to scroll vertically, horizontally and diagonally, just like right now.

Please clarify.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 6 of 130
    what part of //replace the scroll-ball on the top of the mighty mouse with an oval gray TRACKPAD // didnt you understand?

oh yeah and get apple to call it iphone... so Ireland buys one RIGHT!!!!111!!! away!!!!!111!1!!!1!!!!

oh yeah and call it the ireland mighty mouse or something..

:P

hey ireland... this is free

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../gimpshop.html

why not try it and do these mock ups yourself
  • Reply 7 of 130
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

We're talking about replacing the scroll ball with a circular wheel like on the iPods, right? (Since you said "oval".)

Or are we talking about a rectangular one?

In the former case, you'd only be able to scroll vertically; in the latter, you'd be able to scroll vertically, horizontally and diagonally, just like right now.

Please clarify.

He means just what he said: an oval trackpad, not a thin oval trackpad with a white button in the middle.

Oh, and they totally need to fix the left and right click. Leave it to Apple to pioneer a ridiculously complex and faulty solution to a nonexistent problem.
  • Reply 8 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

He means just what he said: an oval trackpad, not a thin oval trackpad with a white button in the middle.

Oval as in "rectangular with border radius", then?

(I'm just trying to understand what he's suggesting.)

Quote:

Oh, and they totally need to fix the left and right click. Leave it to Apple to pioneer a ridiculously complex and faulty solution to a nonexistent problem.

Agreed.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Oval as in "rectangular with border radius", then?

(I'm just trying to understand what he's suggesting.)

Imagine a circular trackpad about an inch in diameter. It's a trackpad that is circular in shape. (perhaps it's actually a rectangular trackpad masked by plastic to make it circular, but that's besides the point) It is located where the scroll ball is currently, and is operated with the middle (or index) finger to scroll around a document, either through spacial correlation (move your finger half an inch and it scrolls 200 pixels), or exponential movement (the closer you move your finger to the edge of the trackpad, the faster it continuously scrolls in that direction).

Perhaps there could also be a configurable option to have moving your finger around the perimeter of the trackpad act like an iPod scrollwheel, and scroll downwards.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I just want:

1. Bluetooth mighty mouse

2. Fix all the quality probs with the scroll nipple. Don't replace it with something else, just make it stop randomly dying.

Other than that, I think the mighty mouse is perfect.
  • Reply 11 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Imagine a circular trackpad about an inch in diameter. It's a trackpad that is circular in shape. (perhaps it's actually a rectangular trackpad masked by plastic to make it circular, but that's besides the point) It is located where the scroll ball is currently, and is operated with the middle (or index) finger to scroll around a document, either through spacial correlation (move your finger half an inch and it scrolls 200 pixels), or exponential movement (the closer you move your finger to the edge of the trackpad, the faster it continuously scrolls in that direction).

Perhaps there could also be a configurable option to have moving your finger around the perimeter of the trackpad act like an iPod scrollwheel, and scroll downwards.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense to me now.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    Chucker, here this is oval. Imagine that oval slightly smaller and on the mouse
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Notice that Apple's laptop trackpads were recently changed from 4:3 to 16:10, to match the aspect ratio of the screen.

So, at the least, your oval should be turned 90 degrees so it somewhat reflects the screen.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    Quote:

Notice that Apple's laptop trackpads were recently changed from 4:3 to 16:10, to match the aspect ratio of the screen.

So, at the least, your oval should be turned 90 degrees so it somewhat reflects the screen.

Scrolling doesn't not work like that. People scroll up and down, way more than they scroll right and left. Anyway the trackpad on the MacBook was designed that way because it mostly moves the cursor
  • Reply 15 of 130
    Look here's an upright version:

• Reply 16 of 130
    Quote:

Look here's an upright version:

But that's just the point, Ireland. It should reflect the aspect ratio of the screen.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Quote:

But that's just the point, Ireland. It should reflect the aspect ratio of the screen.

no, it shouldnt!

the trackpad on the proposed mouse is for scrolling scroll bars and the like, the MOUSE itself is for moving the pointer.

the same as the track pad on a laptop is for moving the pointer on the laptop screen.

horizontal oval is an un-ergonomic way of looking at the problem.

hey Ireland, did you try out gimp?
  • Reply 18 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

no, it shouldnt!

the trackpad on the proposed mouse is for scrolling scroll bars and the like, the MOUSE itself is for moving the pointer.

the same as the track pad on a laptop is for moving the pointer on the laptop screen.

horizontal oval is an un-ergonomic way of looking at the problem.

hey Ireland, did you try out gimp?

Thank you! FINALLY someone makes sense.

(I tried to download it, but the Gimp servers are down)
  • Reply 19 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Why not have the Apple logo as the trackpad. That way people can caress it. It's a pity it has a bite out of it.

I don't think that the trackpad is the only issue with the MM. I actually get more frustrated by the inconsistent clicks. Independent rocking directions are needed.

Anyway, why did we need another thread about this? I don't imagine Apple employees are going to be listening.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    sorry you cant get that downloaded mate

heres this... 2 second jobby