MTV adds slew of content to iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AeronPrometheus

ANY Richard Dean Anderson on iTunes would be step in the right direction.

And am I the only one that wants to see Adult Swim programming on the Music Store?

[edit] ANY Amanda Tapping would be a step in the right direction as well. ^_^

Robot Chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That whole thing is strange.

I don't know how they could sell music content on iTunes, as they own almost none of it, and if they continue to put their Tv content, which they do own, onto iTunes, it seems that they are giving Apple the chance to make those extra few cents that they could have been making themselves by putting it on their own service instead.

Even more strange, the message this sends to MTV's suppliers is that MTV acknowledges iTMS has the traffic and the industry influence to move product much more effectively than MTV's URGE does. Now from our seats one would say "duh," but in the context of MTV's executives selling the "brand power of MTV" to potential licensers, it's one more argument against them.

Not a lovely position to put themselves in, but really I think MTV has long since lost sight of the marketing power they had with music videos, and focuses mostly on their TV productions.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

....but really I think MTV has long since lost sight of the marketing power they had with music videos, and focuses mostly on their TV productions.

Yeah that's what I was so puzzled about when I went to the US around 2000. I was like, where the fux0rs are the music videos on MTV? What the hell is all these TV shows? Then my friend told me about MTV2, which is where all the music videos went.

Anyway, back here in AsiaPacific we get MTV (the TV shows like Punk'd and stuff) ... there is MTV but no MTV2 in my country... but instead luckily for Australia and AsiaPacific there is Channel[V] which shows music videos mainly.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AeronPrometheus

ANY Richard Dean Anderson on iTunes would be step in the right direction.

And am I the only one that wants to see Adult Swim programming on the Music Store?

[edit] ANY Amanda Tapping would be a step in the right direction as well. ^_^

Home Movies, Dr. Katz, come on - we want back catalogue action! You content providers know you want our cash!

Of course, being in Europe means I can't even buy what's available at the moment. All this stuff about slicing the world into regions just reeks of people who'd rather protect their golden goose and make nothing from it than take the (supposed) risk and make a fortune.

Insert all the usual DRM arguments here. We here are locked out and can't remember what we did to deserve it. \

Oh yes - BBC shows for the global masses too!
  • Reply 25 of 45
    How difficult is it for someone outside of the US to get an American credit card? I'm sure there are some legit ways to do this, and having established it, you could circumvent the regions. The other option of course would be to import the American prepaid cards.

The upside to that means that local content producers then have to compete on a fairly even footing with foreign content quality (or lack therein). I think a lot of the rationale behind walled gardens is aimed at just that; preventing competition from without so that they can produce to a lower standard.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

The upside to that means that local content producers then have to compete on a fairly even footing with foreign content quality (or lack therein). I think a lot of the rationale behind walled gardens is aimed at just that; preventing competition from without so that they can produce to a lower standard.

But given terrestial and satellite TV programming available in countries outside the USA, clearly the demand for the US programming is phenomenal.

The problem I think is not that those outside the US don't want the content, the US providers for some reason don't want to sell to those outside the US...?!!

Like you said, maybe they are worried that if they have to sell to those outside the US then by trade laws (?) the iTMS would have to start carrying non-US material - like BBC, Japanese,.... others?

Clearly, so bloody obviously, things are in favour of the US content owners to open up digital sales to the rest of the world. They could double their sales easily - opening up to Europe, Australia, Singapore, Japan, other Asia Pacific -- you know, the other 50%* of where iPod sales go.

*okay this may be lower.

Endnote: Conversely though, certain countries may implement their own DRM nonsense laws that will prevent iTMS operating sensibly in those countries. Also, eg. where I am living, all terrestial and cable operators MUST carry a certain percentage of LOCAL programming. Local lawmakers will need to load up iTunes, get an iPod and figure out this DRM cross-selling stuff. Trade barriers being lowered has generally led to increased sales in most cases on both sides of the traders. Then again, there's always issues with subsidies and taxes and so on, so globally there's a lot of DRM nonsense that needs to be sorted out.

Because, guess what, do you know how much everyone outside the US gets Battlestar Galactica, Lost, etc...? A HELL OF A LOT of downloads via BitTorrent. Revenue that could have otherwise gone to Apple, Content Producers, even Governments (via taxes). While the latter two elements continue to drag their feet and/or keep their head in the toilet bowl, guess what, I'll be enjoying Lost Season 3 and BSG Season 3 courtesy of the brilliant folk that invented BitTorrent. Oh, and I have 24 Season 4 and 5, House Season 2 to watch. Thanks again to iTMS (NOT..!!!!).
  • Reply 27 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

How difficult is it for someone outside of the US to get an American credit card? I'm sure there are some legit ways to do this, and having established it, you could circumvent the regions. The other option of course would be to import the American prepaid cards.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the IP address of where the order is taking place is also checked. So, if you are someone on vacation out of your buying region, and want to purchase a song, or video, you won't be able to.

If someone is sure about that, one way or the other, please let us know.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

I'm not sure about this, but I think the IP address of where the order is taking place is also checked. So, if you are someone on vacation out of your buying region, and want to purchase a song, or video, you won't be able to.

I've successfully logged on to iTMS from Jamaica with an American account. It was about a year ago, and we're at least superficially very friendly with Jamaica, but it is a foreign country.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

I've successfully logged on to iTMS from Jamaica with an American account. It was about a year ago, and we're at least superficially very friendly with Jamaica, but it is a foreign country.

What do you mean by "logged on"? I see no reason why you couldn't log on. Were you able to buy something?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

What do you mean by "logged on"? I see no reason why you couldn't log on. Were you able to buy something?

By "log on" I mean authenticated to Apple's servers so I could buy something. I got a gift certificate for christmas or something and bought/downloaded several albums.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

You can browse any store from anywhere and yes, my UK credit card works in New Zealand so presumably there's no IP address check

Miquet, hang onto that Japanese credit card! I think the Aussies just got in a cheap shot with NZ though some trans-tasman bank issued cards were rumoured to work. There's no commercial justification to opening an NZ store but it should have been annexed to th Australian one. Let's face it, they stole/repatriated all of NZs bands anyway and there's only so much crowded house a man can buy.

Technically of course the act of copying your downloads onto an iPod or ripping your own CDs is also illegal here & in Aus but let's not forget why they're there in the first place.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    While my US credit card was still valid when I was in Australia I was able to make some purchases. So no IP check as far as I remember. With a US credit card that's still valid I think wherever you are in the world you can continue to log on to iTMS USA and make purchases. Your music store account of course still has to have full US address details and billing address and what not.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by McDave

Let's face it, they stole/repatriated all of NZs bands anyway and there's only so much crowded house a man can buy.

Crowded House is fine, but are you kiwis going to take responsibility for Russell Crowe and his band ???
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by McDave

You can browse any store from anywhere and yes, my UK credit card works in New Zealand so presumably there's no IP address check

Well, that's good to know.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Let's face it, they stole/repatriated all of NZs bands anyway and there's only so much crowded house a man can buy.

Crowded House is fine, but are you kiwis going to take responsibility for Russell Crowe and his band ???

I'm from the Motherland myself so I can't talk for these antipodeans but I think the brawling & rowdy/extrovert behaviour is all part of Russell's Ausification (& possibly some latent homosexuality). It's a necessary rite-of-passage in Australia as they try to live down Trevor Chappell's under-arm bowl incident of 1981 (US guys, Wiki the details, all very tragic).

No excuses - where's the non-US TV shows? The World's a bad place & deserves Shortland Street, Neighbours, Home & Away with Coro & East Enders following shortly before Armageddon (& Doctor Who shortly after)

McD
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

I'm from the Motherland myself so I can't talk for these antipodeans but I think the brawling & rowdy/extrovert behaviour is all part of Russell's Ausification (& possibly some latent homosexuality). It's a necessary rite-of-passage in Australia as they try to live down Trevor Chappell's under-arm bowl incident of 1981 (US guys, Wiki the details, all very tragic).

No excuses - where's the non-US TV shows? The World's a bad place & deserves Shortland Street, Neighbours, Home & Away with Coro & East Enders following shortly before Armageddon (& Doctor Who shortly after)

McD

Some of those are my faviorite shows! You'd be surprised at just how much foreign programming makes it over here. We don't have restrictions at all. If someone wants to broadcast it, fine.

I am happy the Doctor is back, even if his accent was a bit strong. I'm only a moderate fan though. Aside from watching all of the shows going way back, I only have a few hundred of the books.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Melgross, Dr.Who is fine but God help us all if Home&Away and Neighbours makes it onto the US iTMS. Say it ain't so Melgross, please confirm to me you haven't seen Neighbours or Home&Away and that this is nowhere near your favourites...!
  • Reply 38 of 45

Ouch. Blaming the Aussies for what happened to Russell Crowe. Not a cricket fan myself and I'm a wannabe-Australian anyway so I wiki'ed the underarm bowl incident. I thought it was sheer bloody brilliance. Screw the kiwis

No excuses - where's the non-US TV shows? The World's a bad place & deserves Shortland Street, Neighbours, Home & Away with Coro & East Enders following shortly before Armageddon (& Doctor Who shortly after) McD

No country outside Australia deserves to be assaulted with Neighbours and Home&Away But you Brits (I assume you are referring to the Motherland as England/Britain) lapp up that stuff like a pussy on warm milk.

(Yay! Got to use the word "pussy" in at least one of my posts today...)
  • Reply 39 of 45
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

[i]Originally posted by McDave

No country outside Australia deserves to be assaulted with Neighbours and Home&Away But you Brits (I assume you are referring to the Motherland as England/Britain) lapp up that stuff like a pussy on warm milk.

(Yay! Got to use the word "pussy" in at least one of my posts today...)

Nicely done!

For the record I'm not a fan of soaps (or Football) I chose life instead, I think that's why I'm here, but there's a huge international market for countries with TV networks who aren't buying the shows already even within the existing iTMS global network. Even NZ TV has The Simpsons & others on several channels at once (in between livestock treatment & fertiliser adverts) it's just gutting to see iTMS not being used yet.

Come-on Apple!!

(Sunilraman, does that count?)
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Well said McD, but umm... Does what count?