Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As a Switcher, when 10.5 "Leopard" comes out - is it just a normal update as usual or do I have to pay extra to get it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Oh and finally, people officially need ONE (legal) copy of OS X for each computer they install it on. If you own 3 then you really should buy 3 copies of the OS even if (at present) you're not blocked from doing more than one install (like you are with Windows).

Add $70 and get family pack ($199), able to be installed on up to 5 Apple computers. The limit is household, but those lines can be blurred. But before that I would call Apple, and ask if I could upgrade multiple computers, or ask at the store when I buy it. I can take several "NO"s for occasional "yes".

PS due to me being new to Parallels I had to reinstall Windows a few times, like three. Each time I had to go through the online register to activate XP. I don't know how they do it, maybe it is a machine name that gets passed to them, but they never stopped me from reinstalling and registering. Unless they track a machine name they would have no idea that these installs were not on different computers. From what I have heard, MS is all about stopping businesses from pirating copies of Windows, but are much more lax when it comes to home users. Where I work there are about 40,000 employees and the MS rep has said that unless they do an audit they have no idea how many copies of Windows there are in use. The MS reps used to tell the IT group if there would be any audits. MS usually, for us, said this is new software and the cost is $xx.xx per license but (wink, wink, nod, nod) there won't be any reason to audit its use. So people can feel free to use it free and feedback to us what they would like us to change and when it is something that lots of people like and think that they cannot live without, then we will charge you, and later we will audit you to see that you did pay what you should have.

Ty
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Surely you could just "break" your Mac when 10.5 is released and then bring it to the Apple store a week or so later - at which point if they reformat it surely they won't stick 10.4 on and just GIVE you 10.5?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:

I guess but then you could do any of the following:

Method #3

1 - Wait till machines are known to be shipping with 10.5

2 - Buy Mac mini

3 - Bring home, open, obtain 10.5 DVD

4 - Instal 10.5 on other machine

5 - Return mini

Dave

Aren't the OS Install discs that come with a computer machine specific, i.e. you could only install one from a Mac Mini on another Mac Mini?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Aren't the OS Install discs that come with a computer machine specific, i.e. you could only install one from a Mac Mini on another Mac Mini?

Nope OSX is OSX, best to jsut buy the family pack for more than one computer.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well, the bundled discs have some machine-specific stuff, but the retail OS X is completely machine-agnostic.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    one might also mention that if you are a EDU user... you get about a 50% discount on OS upgrades.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

Surely you could just "break" your Mac when 10.5 is released and then bring it to the Apple store a week or so later - at which point if they reformat it surely they won't stick 10.4 on and just GIVE you 10.5?

From my past experience, they will restore the computer to the factory OS, in this case 10.4. So, don't bet on it.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    amodaamoda Posts: 17member
    So umm....what are the coupons that you get when you buy a new mac for?

I'm talking about the ones that say "Software Coupon, ilife '06 + Mac OS X v10.4". It says on it "To get software updates and other special offers from Apple, you'll need to use the coupons below as proof of your purchase".
  • Reply 9 of 27
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    One time I sent my powerbook in with a broken DVD player and Apple sent it back with a CD-RW/DVD combo drive totally free
  • Reply 10 of 27
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Buying a "family pack" to install OS X on multiple home computers is just stupid. A single copy of OS X will install on multiple computers, and there is no way Apple will find out. There is no reason to feel guilty since you already purchased multiple Macs at insanely high Apple prices.

For a business, I'd be sure that every Mac had a legitimate copy of OS X. But home use is another matter.

As for getting OS X for free, here's another method:

1. Buy OS X on eBay.

2. Install on your Mac(s). Make a copy in case you need to reinstall or install on another Mac at a later time.

3. Sell OS X on eBay for the same or greater price.

This eBay method works for any software. Don't be an ass - only pirate commercial software from mega-corporations. There is no excuse for stealing software from starving shareware developers.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

No, they will run the restore image that came with that model.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I bet you most "Switchers" such as my self do not know that when the 10.5 update comes out that we would theortically have to pay up to get it - as far as I knew I just thought 10.5 was just an equivalent to a Service Pack and that I would only have to pay up again for 11.0

So at least now I am getting to grips with Apples business model which is a profitable one for them but not expensive for the consumer!

How often do these big number jumps come around? Annually? I was going to plunge some money into Apple stock but I really don't know anymore - Boot Camp gave it an unusually high boost then now it's leveling out - I just don't see that many more WoW tricks up it's sleeve - they did great with the iPod but the sales of just that one item surely can't really sustain a whole company...

I still find it hard to believe that ever update will cost money... perhaps this is another reason why Windows "Rules"?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I still find it hard to believe that ever update will cost money... perhaps this is another reason why Windows "Rules"?

OS X is a platform, the point is the release number, no differant than goiung from Windows NT 3.5->4->2000->xp/2003...Apple just calls it 10.1, 10.2, 10.3... And honestly, comparing 10.1 to 10.4 is like going from NT 4 to XP...

the third digit represents service patches, the 7th service patch just came out, hence the current version is 10.4.7
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Coming full circle with this thread;

★ Leopard will not be free.

★ If you want it - PAY for it.

★ Rush Limbaugh has left the building.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    10.5 is much closer to the step between 98 and ME, 2000 and XP, XP and Vista, etc. than it is to the step between one service pack release and another.

For rough service pack equivalents, you want to look at the third version number byte, e.g. 10.4.3 to 10.4.4.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

10.1 = 1st major update

301 days later 10.2 = 2nd major update

458 days later 10.3 = 3rd major update

553 days later 10.4 = 4th major update

619 days later 10.5 = 5th major update (assuming Jan 07 as the release date)

And if Leopard takes the ten months with the developers like Tiger did we won't see the release until Jun 07.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I bet you most "Switchers" such as my self do not know that when the 10.5 update comes out that we would theortically have to pay up to get it - as far as I knew I just thought 10.5 was just an equivalent to a Service Pack and that I would only have to pay up again for 11.0

No, going from e.g. 10.3 to 10.4 is more like going Win 2000 -> XP than getting a service pack. Second-dot increases, e.g. 10.4.6 -> 10.4.7 are the closest Apple equivalents of service packs, and they are free.

Quote:

So at least now I am getting to grips with Apples business model which is a profitable one for them but not expensive for the consumer!

It's more that with OS X, Apple started with a very solid foundation that they have been able to develop quickly (much quicker than Microsoft are able to develop Windows).

Quote:

How often do these big number jumps come around? Annually?

In the early days of OS X, yes. But recently the gaps have been getting longer and longer. I'd expect that trend to continue.

Quote:

I was going to plunge some money into Apple stock but I really don't know anymore - Boot Camp gave it an unusually high boost then now it's leveling out - I just don't see that many more WoW tricks up it's sleeve

Well, 10.4 already has pretty much all the features that Windows Vista will have, so let's see where 10.5 takes us.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Well, 10.4 already has pretty much all the features that Windows Vista will have, so let's see where 10.5 takes us.

Watch for where the Open Source crowd is going, allot of those things will tend to be added to the kernel on one cycle and made into apps on the next cycle. For example the API (malloc) that was in question during a recent hardware bake off where the guy originally had to compile the Windows version to take advantage of a better scheme. Later it was reported that OSX was slow by design, discussed here: http://ridiculousfish.com/blog/ Things like that are ripe for improvement, as well as many UNIX commands that are constantly being rewritten and improved or just plain added to, to keep up with more current hardware configurations. But I usually can see where on one cycle Apple will improve these things, but because they are low level and are being worked on constantly until close to ship time, no one of the apps groups can take advantage of it. I usually can see Apple building the scaffolding and then building the app, cycle over and over.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jpenningtonjpennington Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Nope OSX is OSX, best to jsut buy the family pack for more than one computer.

OSX is OSX but you cannot use machine bundled discs on an machine. I have accidently tried to format a computer with bundled discs for a newer mac, and it didn't work.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The topic is "Will 10.5 cost money". Thank you all.