Ubuntu Linux on PPC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well.. recently for some unknown reason, I have been extremely interested in Linux and is about to try out Ubuntu. But before i do, has any one installed Ubuntu on a PPC? (I'm trying to get in running in my G4 ibook) how's the performance? Is slower or the same as the x86 version? I am abit paranoid about the support for the old mac's PPC processor.

EDIT: also, will WINE run under PPC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    No, WINE won't run of PPC versions of Linux.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mike555mike555 Posts: 10member
    === I have run Ubuntu live on my ppc mini, it runs good , but when I tried to install it to my firewire external drive the installer kept crashing ........ I didn't try installing it to my main HD (scared) ===
  • Reply 3 of 22
    well.. i installed it on my ibook and I am quite impressed. My initial impression of the Gui was a OSX+Windows mix which is quite nice

I was 'wow-ed' about the speed compared to OSX. My ibook with 512 ram lags every now and then while running tiger. But with linux...this thing is damn smooth Now if only I can get the graphics drivers and XGL/Compiz working... then, it might even make me migrate 8)
  • Reply 4 of 22
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    XGL/Compiz will require 3D drivers, and open source drivers are not going to work. You need proprietary drivers. And ATI and NVIDIA are not making their available on PPC, but x86 only. Pity, because I would like to run that on my PPC machines too.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wait so you're saying I can't run ubuntu on my PBG4 867mhz with graphics acceleration? I too have been curious about trying Ubuntu sometime on my PowerBook...before saying goodbye to it some time this summer when I scoop up a MacBook. Just for kicks. I've never really even used Linux and I kind of want to see what all the cool kids are talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    No 3D Graphics acceleration, no. 2D is fine though.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Exactly right. No 3D graphics acceleration. It's a 2D world for PPC Linux

But Linux isn't about lickable eye-candy only, you know
  • Reply 8 of 22
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sure it is. I want to use a GUI not bash. Guess I'll wait until I get a MacBook to check out this whole "Linux" thing.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Sure it is. I want to use a GUI not bash.

Because all GUI are 3D right?

Quote:

Guess I'll wait until I get a MacBook to check out this whole "Linux" thing.

You can try the whole "Linux" thing right now - there are good drivers for any PPC machine you have. They will provide you with a GUI, and you will not see the command line unless you want to.

3D graphics requires specialized drivers which are available only in binary format for x86-based Linux computers (and sometimes AMD64). PPC Linux is not a big enough market to warrant nVidia and ATi 3D drivers.

For everything else, there are substitutes that work perfectly fine.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Basically, it means that XGL is out. Otherwise, you're fine.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike555

=== I have run Ubuntu live on my ppc mini, it runs good , but when I tried to install it to my firewire external drive the installer kept crashing ........ I didn't try installing it to my main HD (scared) ===

Because it's unable to create the bootstrap partition on the external HD. You have to do it manually but I can't help you on this. If you install it on an internal HD it will work fine. It happened the same to me. 1GHz Titanium.... was nice.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Do I have to reformat/re-partition to install?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Do I have to reformat/re-partition to install?

Ubuntu has a partitioner of its own, and it should be able to partition your drive, including a swap drive (for when apps have to swap to the HD - if you have 1GB+ RAM skip this) without any damage to your OS X installation whatsoever.

In fact, you can download the LiveCD and there will be a simple installer on your desktop, which, when run, will provide you with a nice, simple GUI to do everything you need. And while it installs, you can run the LiveCD as if nothing was happening.

It will install, yet you will be able to use the computer to browse, chat, whatever.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Ubuntu has a partitioner of its own, and it should be able to partition your drive, including a swap drive (for when apps have to swap to the HD - if you have 1GB+ RAM skip this) without any damage to your OS X installation whatsoever.

In fact, you can download the LiveCD and there will be a simple installer on your desktop, which, when run, will provide you with a nice, simple GUI to do everything you need. And while it installs, you can run the LiveCD as if nothing was happening.

It will install, yet you will be able to use the computer to browse, chat, whatever.

GC: Unless I'm missing something, the partitioner in the installer wants to erase the disk. The problem is that I have no space to give on my internal drives (both are almost full) and my only other external drive that's available is USB2, which seems to be a bitch to boot to.

Right now, the installer keeps hanging at about 8%. No idea why, although I suspect a problem with my CDRW (I used Toast's "quick erase" on it).
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

[B]GC: Unless I'm missing something, the partitioner in the installer wants to erase the disk.

There's an "advanced" (or expert, can't quite recall) option. Choose that one. It will let you create new partitions. It will simply move the data to other parts of the HD and create room for itself (if you don't trust it, make a backup).

You could probably install Ubuntu in a 2GB partition. Do you have that much room to spare?

Quote:

The problem is that I have no space to give on my internal drives (both are almost full) and my only other external drive that's available is USB2, which seems to be a bitch to boot to.

I never tried booting using USB, but I would think that GRUB (Grand Unified Booter) would be smart enough to autoconfigure booting options.

Quote:

Right now, the installer keeps hanging at about 8%. No idea why, although I suspect a problem with my CDRW (I used Toast's "quick erase" on it).

It's possible. Check the .iso file too. It might be corrupt.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

There's an "advanced" (or expert, can't quite recall) option. Choose that one. It will let you create new partitions. It will simply move the data to other parts of the HD and create room for itself (if you don't trust it, make a backup).

You could probably install Ubuntu in a 2GB partition. Do you have that much room to spare?

I never tried booting using USB, but I would think that GRUB (Grand Unified Booter) would be smart enough to autoconfigure booting options.

It's possible. Check the .iso file too. It might be corrupt.

Groovy. I'm in the middle of erasing the RW media right now, so I'll reburn and try to reinstall when that's done.

Is there a rule that no Linux installations may be attempted before 3 jack and cokes OR before 10:00 pm?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Is there a rule that no Linux installations may be attempted before 3 jack and cokes OR before 10:00 pm?

Oh, believe me, the only x86 computer I have at home (standard PC) is a, now 3-year old- Sony VAIO with a malfunctioning CD-RW drive. It works, but only with XP!

It will boot off of a Linux disc, install disc 1 (of SuSE Linux Enteprise 10) and then reboot, ask for disc 2, and complain that it can't find any media on disc 2! Of course, disc 2 is just fine, as Parallels can read it and install from it.

This way, you'll get the hang of it. And once you install Ubuntu, you won't have to use a CD-based Installer ever again. You will simply upgrade to the next release by using a simple command

Quote:

apt-get dist-upgrade

That's it.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    GC: Tried to install SEVERAL times last night, all with the same "cannot create file system" error at 15% of the install procedure.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    GC: I think I've got it figured out. Here's what I did to get it installed:

How To Install Ubuntu Linux On An External USB2 Drive Attached To A Powermac G4

July 2nd, 2006

1) Download the Ubuntu disc image (use the torrent; it?s faster)

2) Burn the image to a disc

3) Place the disc in the drive and reboot, holding down ?c? to force the computer to boot to the disc

4) at the command prompt that comes up, hit enter

5) Watch as installer hangs

6) Repeat steps 3-4

7) Watch as installer hangs

8) Repeat step 6

9) Repeat step 5 and 7

10) Repeat step 8

11) Reformat drive

12) Repeat steps 1-12
  • Reply 20 of 22
    That's odd. Did you use the actuall installation CD, or did you boot off the LiveCD and use the automatic installer?