Can't post to discussions.apple.com with firefox, safari, omniweb. Just explorer.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can sign in, look at posts, write up responses and new threads, preview them, but the browsers stall when I hit Post Message! Safari says the site's unreachable.

I have the latest Java from software update.

But, after a considerable pause, I'm able to post using Explorer. WTF?

I've also recently become unable to view daily show clips from the official site, something I've never had any problem doing with or without flip4mac.

This second problem might be the most severe of the two, since at least I've got explorer for the 1st.

Help, please.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    do the problems persist if you create a new user (open "Users" pane in system preferences and press the "+" button near the bottom left of the pane) and log in as that user?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Same problems when logged in as another user.

I have no other internet problems. Just apple and the daily show. Two biggies.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Same problems when logged in as another user.

I have no other internet problems. Just apple and the daily show. Two biggies.

--B

OK. That probably means it's to do with your internet/network settings (rather than borked application preferences or the like).

Just thought, have you tried the usual repair permissions and disk check?

If those don't reveal any problems, do you know it your ISP has changed anything recently? Do they have a "network status" or equivalent webpage?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I am having some system problems. I cannot, for instance, verify my disk using disk utility. It crashes my machine consistently after 5 seconds. Apart from the mouse, which I can move around but not use to select, the screen becomes frozen, as well as the keyboard, although the PB light sensor dims the screen if I cover the speaker holes.

Permissions, however were repaired recently.

I haven't found any network status webpages, but am looking, nor have I found any announcement about ISP changes.

Weird, huh? I think I'm going to have to reinstall. Ideally, I would like to go back to 10.3.9. Know anything about downgrading from Tiger?

--B
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I am having some system problems. I cannot, for instance, verify my disk using disk utility. It crashes my machine consistently after 5 seconds.

Try rebooting with your System Install disks and running Disk Utility from there (you can launch Disk Utility from the menubar).

Why do you want to downgrade to 10.3? Have you had other problems with 10.4?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Try rebooting with your System Install disks and running Disk Utility from there (you can launch Disk Utility from the menubar).

Why do you want to downgrade to 10.3? Have you had other problems with 10.4?

Basic usage problems with individual programs. My Mail is totally jacked up (see also here). Other than that, stuff that's annoying, mostly. Can't use the arrow keys in amule. Quicksilver is not as stable nor fast. Tiger was a big performance hit, and I have no use for Dashboard or Spotlight. I spend a lot of time troubleshooting Tiger troubles when 10.3.9 "just worked."

I imagine that to downgrade will be a big pain in the ass, as I won't be able to archive / install.

I'll let you know what happens with the install disk repair....

--B
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Couldn't do it. Got almost all the way through the repair when I get a:

"The underlying task reported failure on exit"

I'll try Disk Warrior tomorrow. Too tired now. This doesn't bode well.

--B
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I have tried to repair using a bootable DiskWarrior CD. However, after 22 hours of running, and almost coming to the end of the rebuilding stage, I got the following error, about which Google and Alsoft.com can tell me nothing:

"DiskWarrior encountered an unexpected error while attempting to repair overlapped files on the disc "X". Restart from the DiskWarrior CD and try rebuilding again (2175, -1)"

It had found around 6500 overlapped files, many in a "Previous System" folder I have sitting around. I also rebuilt without freeing the 100 MB of contiguous free space that it needed to do a "fail safe" rebuild.

It hasn't fixed the Mail.app problems, but I can now post on discussions.apple.com using Safari.

One down.

--B
  • Reply 9 of 9
    In case you hadn't guessed it already, you have serious problems with your Mac. You need to back-up, reformat your HD and re-install the OS now.