Safari for Windows?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apparently there is some indication that Apple has considered releasing Safari on Windows.

I've wondered about this. If you extrapolate widgets out, a Windows release could be interesting. Apple could deliver all sorts of very cool (Web 3.0?) web apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Apparently there is some indication that Apple has considered releasing Safari on Windows.

I've wondered about this. If you extrapolate widgets out, a Windows release could be interesting. Apple could deliver all sorts of very cool (Web 3.0?) web apps.

Those are propably something that came with webkit and are related to KHTML project, I just can't see any reason for apple to make windows version of safari. Unless Dworak was right and they are making the platform jump this time. Also I don't think world is ready for web3.0 applications , whatever they are, let's see where 2.0 takes us first.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's Dvorak by the way. Do yourself a favor and block your ears when he speculates.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

You would have done well to read the comments following the post that you linked. The second commentator explained that there are 407 references to win32 in MacOS X. Long story short: Move along--there is nothing to see here.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

It's Dvorak by the way. Do yourself a favor and block your ears when he speculates.

First off its not Dvorak, and secondly I didn't read all of the comments

Don't know about all of the WIN32 references, but for some reason the idea of Safari on Windows doesn't seem totally far fetched to me.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well I guess people may be a little too quick to dismiss around here after all...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/12/windo...akes/#comments

Quote:

"Safari has been available on Windows for less than 24 hours, and already the hacker community is apparently tearing it to shreds. The Errata Security blog has been keeping track of a few announcements across the web, including a fully disclosed 0-day exploit that Thor Larholm apparently found yesterday within two hours of the software's release. And just to be clear on the use of 0-day exploit: it means Larholm found a way to execute any piece of code on a Windows box when Safari visits a properly crafted site.

What will this mean for Safari's reputation and traction in the Windows market? I'm not really sure yet. There are any number of reasons behind Apple's decision to develop Safari for Windows, and even though a healthy pool of tech-savvy users are already tinkering with it (for better and for worse), the real results will be seen once it reaches much more of the mainstream market. One of the primary reasons (besides making it easy for Windows-based web developers to write web apps for the iPhone, of course) for SafariWin, as some are calling it, is because that tiny little search box in the upper right of a browser has become quite a revenue generator if the browser does decently in the market. When users search through that box, the browser manufacturer makes some money off the resulting ads that are displayed along with that search. Firefox reportedly made around $50-75 million last year for Mozilla because of that little search box (not bad for an open source product, eh?). You don't have to be Internet Explorer to bring home at least some bacon for your company; heck, I would bet that Opera is still in business largely due to their search box as well.

But none of these reasons will mean anything, and Safari won't generate nearly as much revenue for Apple, if it doesn't gain at least a respectable share of Windows users who are actually firing up Safari to search, browse the web, view and click on ads. But If Safari keeps getting torn apart like this within 24 hours of a release, it could gain a terrible reputation before it ever hits the radar of a crucial portion of the general public. In this new web browsing and computing world where security is everything when you talk about a browser, Safari needs to plug these exploit holes ASAP if it plans to get any farther than the fleeting front page of digg."

I think part of the reason for the release must be the iPhone.

This demonstrates the potential vulnerabilities the iPhone could face.

While the exploits are Win/Safari related the browser itself is getting a thorough pounding this way.

Hopefully this was an intent by Apple or at least they are prepared adequately to address these exploits as they rapidly arise.

I assume also that Apple values the flexibility an versatility of Web 2.0 technologies and plans on incorporating more technology into the iPhone and Mac OS X. The only way to really make this a success is to make absolutely sure that your browser technology of choice is adequately supported i.e Market share.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Any chance webclip will make gadgets for windows vista?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    playing with safari on Win XP and so far so good except for what , i assume, is java related.

i do some trading online through TDAmeritrade which uses a java based system for level II and stock streaming updated. i cant even get the java console to load. this has never been as good as on windows systems even on my macs at home .

anyone have any ideas about why?