Some web pages will connect, some don't on my new (to me!) Mac...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there - I got a Dual 450 Powermac G4, 256Mb (shoulda been 512MB, person selling made a slight error, I've another stick of RAM to put in, if that makes a difference here) a few days ago - I have two PC's in the house alongside the Mac - have file sharing working between three machines, and a Linksys BEFSR41 V4 Cable Router for sharing an NTL 10Mb cable connection.

On the PC's, all web pages work, but some simple pages like youtube.com won't load (probably other), giving the error messages below... I simply can't work this out. Tried refreshing.

"Safari can't connect to the server"

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.youtube.com."

I've all three computers set up on static IP.

It makes little odds whether I've Dynamic IP set up or not. Port forwarding is setup on a high value port for a mac application, and another similar port is setup to the IP of one of the PC.s Both applications using these ports work a treat.

Anyone better than me able to give a hand? I'm truly flummoxed.

(EDITED: Sorted.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Cheers anyhow, turned out to be peerguardian blocking, despite the fact that it wasn't running - two processes using it's icon WERE running... App trashed now....
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Hi there. Welcome to AppleInsider! Glad you got those issues sorted out.

Just a tip... for any technical issues you may have try Genius Bar. Some of the Mods here can get pretty pissed with posts in the wrong forum and may smite thee with their wrath.

Enjoy your stay
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Hi there. Welcome to AppleInsider! Glad you got those issues sorted out.

Just a tip... for any technical issues you may have try Genius Bar. Some of the Mods here can get pretty pissed with posts in the wrong forum and may smite thee with their wrath.

Enjoy your stay

Apologies, I thought I may be in the wrong forum, but it seemed the best of a bad range of choices.... my eyes glossed over that genius forum and missed it completely! Thanks...

(Course if this was a PC forum, I'd have had my head stomped on there...cheers fer the patience!)

• Reply 4 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    No worries! Happens a lot round here Oh, If you want to protect your anonymity and computer you should edit your post and delete your IP address

Hope you like the (new) Mac.