System Restore?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've clearly gone overboard playing with things, I finally got an error message from Onyx

nsreceiverevaluationscripterror

reinstalled and uninstalled, still no progress.

So basically, is there any kind of equivlent of "system restore" on OS x?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No. Create backups before you tinker.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Apple should return the favor and implement a similar feature in Leopard. One thing Windows gets right is system restore. A very handy feature that gets used a lot.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Unless you do a full system backup on a separate partition or disk, you're still not safe.

Window's System Restore works only in cases where a critical system file is changed, damaged. It does not work in many other cases - such as the damage to master boot record, a paracitic protected process (non system spawned)is screwing things up, non-system configuration file is damaged, patition setting/ type have changed, or a physical damage occured to the hard drive. It is also not very efficient space wise.

A good OS backup utility that is capable of doing incremental backups is the key with an external drive. I'm surprised that Apple doesn't include such a system as standard on their PCs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Shut up, Windows System Restore is like friggin' magic and you know it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Orionetheus

I've clearly gone overboard playing with things, I finally got an error message from Onyx

nsreceiverevaluationscripterror

reinstalled and uninstalled, still no progress.

So basically, is there any kind of equivlent of "system restore" on OS x?

OS X/Macs do not have "System Restore" but they do have "Live and Learn" which, in addition to tinkering, can be applied to purchases (for Xmas vs. after MWSF or day of purchase/delivery vs. the next day).

Being a Mac newbie is very similar to a teenager getting their first paycheck when they see their gross pay, which they have already calculated and believe that is going into their pocket, but finding out all they are getting is net.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I can't believe they didn't add the ability to uninstall updates in to 10.1. And I also am surprised they don't include a backup utility. Those things are critical to OS operation, not extras. I hope they make Leopard.