Apple introduces $899 education iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday introduced a new $899 configuration of the 17-inch iMac designed specifically for education customers.

The computer features a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, a built-in iSight video camera and iLife '06, the next generation of Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications.

Apple said the 17-inch iMac for education is available immediately and will replace the eMac, its last CRT based computer, providing students and teachers everything they need to learn and create in today's digital classroom, all in the ultra-efficient iMac design.

"The iMac is ideal for the space saving needs of both the classroom and the dorm room with the entire computer built right into a two-inch thin display," Apple said. "The iMac design has continuously improved generation after generation, resulting in increased material efficiency, decreased packaging mass and volume, and decreased energy consumption -- all of which lead to a smaller environmental footprint."

Featuring a 17-inch widescreen LCD display, the iMac for education includes a Combo drive for burning CDs and reading DVDs, 512MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable up to 2GB and hard drive storage capacity up to 160GB.

Every iMac also includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing out-of-the-box using Apple's iChat AV, or recording a video podcast or iMovie using iLife '06.

Providing the latest in high-performance connectivity options, the 17-inch iMac for education includes built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11g WiFi for up to 54 Mbps fast wireless networking, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire 400 ports.

Designed with today's digital classroom in mind, every iMac comes with iLife '06, the next generation of Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications featuring iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb, a new iLife application that makes it super-easy to create amazing websites with photos, blogs and Podcasts and publish them on .Mac for viewing by anyone on the Internet with just a single click. Every iMac also comes with the latest release of the world's most advanced operating system, Mac OS X version 10.4.6 "Tiger" including Safari, Mail, iCal, iChat AV, Front Row and Photo Booth, running natively on the Intel-based desktop.

Pricing & Availability

The 17-inch iMac for education is available immediately for education customers through the Apple Store for Education or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL.

The eMac will no longer be in production and is available for purchase while supplies last through the Apple Store for Education or by calling an Apple education sales representative at 800-800-APPL.

Apple will showcase the 17-inch iMac and its complete line of products and solutions for education at the National Educational Computing Conference in San Diego, California from July 5-7, 2006.

The 17-inch 1.83 GHz iMac, for a suggested education price of $899 (US), includes:

17-inch widescreen LCD display;

1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;

512MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2GB;

24x Combo drive;

Intel GMA 950 graphics;

built-in iSight video camera;

built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking;

80GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately);

built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and

Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA hard drive, iWork '06 (pre-installed), Apple Remote and Apple USB Modem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    zedraczedrac Posts: 42member
    Oh God, the entire article is an email link!

But that iMac looks pretty bang for your buck. I like.

Edit: Didn't see the intergrated graphics...Not for me then.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    jaydfwtxjaydfwtx Posts: 3member
    This makes the price of the mac mini look horribly overpriced! Hopefully this system will eventually be available to everyone, as it is a great value.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    abrooksabrooks Posts: 66member
    Good to see you can copy and paste, effective journalism.

Apple Press Release
  • Reply 4 of 93
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaydfwtx

This makes the price of the mac mini look horribly overpriced! Hopefully this system will eventually be available to everyone, as it is a great value.

It is available to almost anyone.

If you have kids in school or college then you can purchase from the education store.

If you take 1 class at your local community college, you can purchase from the education store.

This is a great value and making a similar configuration available to the general public would be a great move.

I agree, I think we are going to see the mini drop in price.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Indeed - that's a lot of bang for buck. I wonder why there no Superdrive BTO, though.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Important to remember that if they sold this to the general public, it would probably be priced at $999 - the $899 is the edu price, and the existing imac models are $100 cheaper for edu buyers.

Still, even at $999 it seems like it would get a few sales. They would definitely need to bump the specs/decrease the price on the mini though.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    If this isn't an indication that the Mac Pros will be quad across the line (or at the very least the mid and top config), I don't know what is.

I mean, who the heck would pay 2000 for a 2.3 or 2.6 Conroe without a monitor when you can get a very respectable 1.8 Yonah for 900 *with* monitor. Sure...integrated graphics, no expandability, etc. but still...there's a limit to the bullcrap Apple can feed pros.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not on Europe yet.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Why would anyone (with edu access) buy a freaking mini with prices like this for the much better outfitted eMac?

Will they actually lower the mini price too?
  • Reply 10 of 93
    halo1982halo1982 Posts: 42member
    Top of the line Mini is $779...or you can get this very similarly equipped eMac for $899...hrm....

Thats a little over the price you'd pay for a keyboard and mouse, and all you lose is the Superdrive...
  • Reply 11 of 93
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by halo1982

Top of the line Mini is $779...or you can get this very similarly equipped eMac for $899...hrm....

Thats a little over the price you'd pay for a keyboard and mouse, and all you lose is the Superdrive...

And you gain a monitor.

Mini price has got to come down.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    WOW. This is a really, really nice deal. I've been waiting for a new config to come out at WWDC to buy for my mum that's not too expensive but now I think I might buy this instead. The only thing that's holding me back is the possibility of a new Nano before the free nano education deal expires in September.

I think that it's more likely the mini specs will go up than that the price will come down. IMO the mini was overpriced even compared to the regular iMac when you factor in the cost of monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The edu mini price is irrelevant IMO #1 it's a much newer product, and design than this iMac. It is also a discounted price for an actual product. This product is specifically designed for education, and is priced within the parameters of Apple's entire scholastic plan. Which would include mass sales into the pricing equation. The Mini was not intended for this nor was it priced in such a manner. Also, this iMac design is almost EOL IMO and the parts, manufacturing costs, etc. etc. etc.... have probably become far less expensive than they were when it was originally introduced. Now take out the graphics card, integrate it, and viola. The new eMac. Priced accordingly.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

Why would anyone (with edu access) buy a freaking mini with prices like this for the much better outfitted eMac?

Will they actually lower the mini price too?

mini for the living room, mini for the car, mini for a server that hides away without a head (monitor). lots of uses.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    So what's the big difference from a normal iMac here..?

Is it the Intel GMA 950 graphics that makes it cheap and somewhat dull?

I guess it's good enough for schools, and that's great.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think that unless a school was doing a lot of video editing this would be an excellent machine. I'm sure there are some teachers who visit the forum who can comment on typical usage of computers in class.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You newbies need to show a wee bit more respect. Add a bit more "content" yourselves before chiding AI. 8)

Nice unit but I'm thinking that next years iMac Edu is going to be nice if it has Conroe and a 20" version for $1299. I'll accept GMA X3000 integrated graphics but me personally I'm not buying another GMA 950 based unit. Nice price though and ready for the BtS buying frenzy
  • Reply 18 of 93
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

So what's the big difference from a normal iMac here..?

Is it the Intel GMA 950 graphics that makes it cheap and somewhat dull?

I guess it's good enough for schools, and that's great.

Just looking at the simple specs under the pricing at the store...

17" 1.83 GHz Duo and 17" 1.83 GHz Duo (same)

$899 edu vs. $1199 edu/$1299 standard

80 GB HDD vs. 160 GB HDD

Combo Drive vs. Dual-Layer Super Drive

Intel GMA Graphics (64 MB shared) vs. ATI x1600 (128 MB dedicated)

No Bluetooth vs. Bluetooth

No Remote vs. Apple Remote

Does that account for $300?
  • Reply 19 of 93
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Looks nice. May actually pick one up with my student loan. But I don't start school till the end of September. Hopefully the free nano deal is still going by then. But I doubt it.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macbear01

Does that account for $300?

Yes it does!