Broadwater/faster Xeons: the real reasons for WWDC Mac Pros?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been wondering a while why Apple has chosen, apparently, to release their Powermacs at WWDC in mid-August, while other workstation manufacturers have already announced configurable Xeon 5100-based workstations.

First, I'm unclear on whether the Broadwater/965 Express chipset is shipping in quantity yet. Are there chipsets currently capable of supporting the Xeon 5100 other than Broadwater? If so, perhaps Apple is waiting for this chipset before announcing a Mac Pro built around it.

A second possible reason could be that Apple is waiting for the high-clock Xeons (2.93 and then 3.2) to come out so that they can be offered right off the bat instead of being quietly added a month after launch.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I don't think Woodcrest is going to be shipping in volume until early august. Right now I'm placing pre-orders for clients that can wait and informing others that Dempsey (Xeon 50xx) are available now and Woodcrest (Xeon 51xx) won't be shipping until Aug.

Thus I'd have to revise my statement about Apple waiting until WWDC. I don't mind them waiting but they have to start shipping Mac Pro's right after the announcement if not slightly earlier.

Dempsey and Woodcrest both share the Broadwater platform and are LG771 socket CPU so they are interchangable.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I personally think it would be a good idea just to let people preorder, so professionals looking for their next workstation don't jump to the Boxx or Dell...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    I believe Broadwater is the 965 chipset for desktop Core 2 and below, while Blackford is for Xeon 5000/5100.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kukito

I believe Broadwater is the 965 chipset for desktop Core 2 and below, while Blackford is for Xeon 5000/5100.

D'uh they sound so close. You're correct it's Blackford that is the Workstation/Server platform.

Thanks for the catch.