Jobs seeks no compensation at Disney

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs has requested that Walt Disney Co. not compensate him for his new role as a member of Disney's board of directors.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission last week, the entertainment conglomerate said it approved a modification to the Board?s compensation policy for non-employee Directors of the Company to exclude Jobs from compensation under the policy.

Jobs joined the board earlier this year following Disney's $7.4 billion acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios, at which Jobs had served as chairman and chief executive.

The request by Jobs not to be paid for his leadership services is not surprising. He also receives no more than $1 per year for his role as Apple's chief executive. (The $1 salary is paid to Jobs to make him eligible for health insurance for his family.)

Last week, Apple disclosed that an internal investigation turned up irregularities with stock option grants issued between 1997 to 2001, including one to Jobs.

The grant was subsequently canceled and Jobs received no financial benefit, the company said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There should be more board members and CEOs like Jobs.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

There should be more board members and CEOs like Jobs.

Well, I think CEOs should be paid but not the outlandish amount many of them make. Jobs is an exception on salary due to his huge fortune. A salary of a couple hundred thousand per year to a CEO with some benefits given for high levels of performance would be fine and better than the presently out of control execuive salaries.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

Well, I think CEOs should be paid but not the outlandish amount many of them make. Jobs is an exception on salary due to his huge fortune. A salary of a couple hundred thousand per year to a CEO with some benefits given for high levels of performance would be fine and better than the presently out of control execuive salaries.

Dude, where d'ya think Steve made his "huge fortune?" He's been on the one dollar salary since way back when. The idea is that he only makes money off of the stock. Therefore what he earns is proportional to the company's performance. It's not like he's working for free or something...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Dude, where d'ya think Steve made his "huge fortune?" He's been on the one dollar salary since way back when. The idea is that he only makes money off of the stock. Therefore what he earns is proportional to the company's performance. It's not like he's working for free or something...

That may be the best way to ensure good performance. Carly Fiorina basically took a dump on HP and she still walked away with a huge severance package.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Does anybody know if Jobs gets the $1 spread out over 26 pay periods (with taxes taken out) or if it's a "lump sum" check once a year?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Does anybody know if Jobs gets the $1 spread out over 26 pay periods (with taxes taken out) or if it's a "lump sum" check once a year?

Hahaha...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    You should call him and ask.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Further proof that the probe into the Apple options will show no wrongdoing on Jobs part. He is simply not as motivated by money as many are. He would much rather change the world. People who would do shady things for financial gain would not give up compensation which is legimately owed to them.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Once a year, on a check.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    I have to say that I think this is one of the coolest things Jobs does and sets him apart as a CEO.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by lakingsfn

I have to say that I think this is one of the coolest things Jobs does and sets him apart as a CEO.

ditto
  • Reply 12 of 21
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    if i'm not mistaken, Jobs' role at Apple made him a millionaire. His role at Pixar made him a billionaire (even more so since its acquisition by disney).
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I don't know if Jobs was the first, but others have adopted this salary amount:

Quote:

Yahoo Chief Executive Terry Semel, the highest compensated executive in the San Francisco Bay Area last year at more than $56.8 million, will receive an annual salary of $1 through 2008, according to documents made public Friday by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The $1 salary follows moves by other tech executives, including Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs. Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt, and co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, have also voluntarily agreed to cut their annual salaries down to that token sum. Their salary loss is more than offset by the millions the Google executives have made off stock sales.

• Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by lakingsfn

Cool for us low-lifes yes, probably nothing for him.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    What is Steve Jobs actaully worth, financially speaking?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ApplePi

What is Steve Jobs actaully worth, financially speaking?

Wikipedia says his net worth is $4.4 billion US this year, up from last year, from Forbes.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I don't know if Jobs was the first, but others have adopted this salary amount:

Yep, he was the first, like in so many other things.

Quote:

Cool for us low-lifes yes, probably nothing for him.

It's probably a fairly big deal for CEO's too. Basically it gets rid of your safety net and says, if your company loses, you lose.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

Well, I think CEOs should be paid but not the outlandish amount many of them make. . . .

Most CEOs these days are paid via a lot of bonuses, including Jobs. A good CEO can be a very valuable asset, and I don't think that CEO pay-grade is too distanced to what I'd expect the equilibrium price to be.

Now lawyers. . . they are overpayed. The american law profession has become self-sustaining, and in some respects a monopoly. The only way that CEOs can make more work for themselves is by starting more companies, which tends to be a generally productive affair for everyone involved, as well as society as a whole.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Most CEOs these days are paid via a lot of bonuses, including Jobs. A good CEO can be a very valuable asset, and I don't think that CEO pay-grade is too distanced to what I'd expect the equilibrium price to be.

The real problem is that some are unfortunately paid millions just to leave, after they've turned the company into a crater.

Quote:

The only way that CEOs can make more work for themselves is by starting more companies,

That's not a task that is hard to do.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

That's not a task that is hard to do.

Have you ever tried?

Depending on how it's done, it usually takes 2-5 years for a new company to become profitable, and something like 90% of companies don't make it past 1 year. There's a risk-reward relationship. You build it, you reap the reward.

As far as CEOs who are paid to leave, that's just part of the contract, which is dictated by the market. Just FYI, you can't get a contract like that unless you've had a multitude of successes in the past. Furthermore, I don't think you have a great idea of just how hard it is to be a good CEO.