Think Secret - iWork getting Charts

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well better late than never...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0607charts.html

I'm looking forward to this addition hoping that some basic charting functions will be available. But not as basic as what we have now. I've done a tremendous amount of charting using cricket graph and MacDraw (stuf from teh 80's and 90's). You would think they can throw something simple like that together with a little bit of new millennium polish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple just renewed the trademark "Numbers" so I'm not sure if it's going to be called Charts or not. Charts really isn't all that descriptive of a name. I'm thinking of pie charts and the like when I read that.

Numbers isn't much better but Spreadsheets usually deal with them so I believe it's superior to "Charts"

I'll gladly pay the $79 for a decent spreadsheet. Please don't strip it down that much. Liteweight is fine but it should still be pretty damn functional.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I think Apple is overdue in replacing AppleWorks with an enhanced iWork & iLife. That means a spreadsheet & database mini for iWorks, with the balance of the apps going to iLife. The 07 versions is the time for the change.

An iWork spreadsheet doesn't have to be near as over bloated as Excel, but it does need to address basic small business needs as well as have a lot of templates for home use.

My money is on Apple finally delivering, with an EOL for AppleWorks.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, this further reinforces my belief/hope that Apple splits the usual spreadsheet app into two: Numbers for the spreadsheet / table / calculation, Charts for the graphics presentation. The naming makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Actually, this further reinforces my belief/hope that Apple splits the usual spreadsheet app into two: Numbers for the spreadsheet / table / calculation, Charts for the graphics presentation. The naming makes perfect sense.

I would love this setup as well. Let me seperate the two task into something a bit more than the sum. Sometimes I just want to see number but other times I want to be able to convey those numbers into something that is a visual masterpiece. If Apple could make it as easy as

click a button.

choose appropriate template

choose relevant data and

Presto! Nice charts that can be switched at will.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Well better late than never...

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0607charts.html

I'm looking forward to this addition hoping that some basic charting functions will be available. But not as basic as what we have now. I've done a tremendous amount of charting using cricket graph and MacDraw (stuf from teh 80's and 90's). You would think they can throw something simple like that together with a little bit of new millennium polish.

Excel is a very blunt instrument for generating presentation charts. If you like Cricket Graph, you should feel right at home in KaleidaGraph. Possibly even more powerful is DeltaGraph, which specializes in the production of drop dead gorgeous charts based on data from Excel and other sources.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Excel is a very blunt instrument for generating presentation charts. If you like Cricket Graph, you should feel right at home in KaleidaGraph. Possibly even more powerful is DeltaGraph, which specializes in the production of drop dead gorgeous charts based on data from Excel and other sources.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have used Aable and I recently purchasd DeltaGraph, but haven't really had a chance to dive into it yet. In addition to Cricket Graph, I was also a big user of Statview, which I still run (limp?) under OS9.

I like the idea of numbers & charts, if it give charts greater flexability with various drawing tools etc.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The only way iWork will take off properly is if they bundle it for free. Sure it will sell o.k. for $79, but a lot of switchers might not try it out. If it was bundled for free with all new Mac's, it would seal the deal. It might even push a few switchers to switch. It would make for the perfect home computer for anyone then. That and a reduced price for .Mac. Then you could do most anything out of the box.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I frankly think the only reason they're not bundling it yet is that they don't consider it quite complete.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

I frankly think the only reason they're not bundling it yet is that they don't consider it quite complete.

hmmm, I hope your right.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    Quote:

Kind of odd logic, although it makes sense since Appleworks comes free with some computers. Still, charge us for the parital products and then give it away for free when all the pieces come together would make me feel a bit used.

Then again, I think Keynote alone has been worth the price of admission.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I could see them bundling it for free. Seems they don't make much off of it the way it is now.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    They bundle iLife, and they used to bundle AppleWorks (with consumer Macs). There's no reason for them not to bundle iWork.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I agree with Chucker. There's no sense bundling iWork with Macs in it's present state. It's an incomplete suite and bundling it could just expose Apple to criticism or high volume of support. Pages takes a bit of digging around to get used to.

I think they can basically just smooth out some stuff Keynote as most of the heavy lifting is done. Pages still needs a good infusion of some UI features. It still feels a bit clunky from the onset. I hope Charts/Numbers hits the ground with a surprising amount of maturity.

I'm ready to upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I like the name Numbers better, but I can handle Charts. Now, we need database and drawing apps.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I want the mac spreadsheet to be called simple "FE."

I'll let your imaginations run wild with that one.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I like the name Numbers better, but I can handle Charts. Now, we need database and drawing apps.

I love the name "numbers", seems like the choice for logical folk.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I love the name "numbers", seem like the choice for logical folk.

Indeed.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I like "FE".

How about FWork? FWorks?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

So we'd have a whole load of "F" apps? An FOffice if you will...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Doing finite element analysis, are we?