Browser big problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a problem with one of the powerbook at my office (G4 Powerbook OS Tiger). When I try to navigate to a webpage from Poland (no matter if I use Safari or Firefox) it directs me to the CNN.com webpage and in the adress bar it remains written the polish webpage I have entered.

This is happening with all the polish webpages I try to visit, even if I type something like tourism.pl in the adress bar it still goes to CNN.com while "tourism.pl" is written all the time in the adress bar.

Do you guys know what could be causing this? Could it be a setting from system preferences or something from the browsers? This is happening only to this Mac at my office, all the other 12 work fine and are in the same network.

Also if I create a new user on my Mac it does the same thing.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm not sure if something like this be done with a hosts file, or if it's something that can be done at the Firewall/router level. Is there anyone at your office who might want to prevent you from visiting Polish sites? Or play a practical joke on you by doing this?

Absolutely not, this computer is used by our polish department guy and visits beside the world webpages, polish webpages of banks, newspapers or news and stuff like that. We don't have that kind of jokes.

I think it is the host file stuff. Can you or somebody else tell me how I get rid of it?

Thank you
  • Reply 2 of 8
    What about it could work badly? The thing is that this happens only to the polish websites and it redirects only to the CNN.com. The other www adresses work just fine.

But if there are some host files, where can I find them on Tiger?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What does /etc/hosts contain?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What does /etc/hosts contain?

When I type what u said in the terminal it says "Permission denied". I don't know why, it is my powerbook.

If I type only "/etc" it says the "it is a directory".

Is there a particular manner in wich I have to write those or is there something wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Ok, sorry for the double post. It works.

The problem was like u guys stated the hosts. I used "Go to folder" to go to "etc" and after that (the etc is hidden but I managed to open it without tinker tools and stuff) there I deleted all the hosts files. Now it works fine.

Thanks alot guys
  • Reply 6 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I see that you solved your problem, but for future reference:

Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

When I type what u said in the terminal it says "Permission denied".

I didn't want you to execute that file, which is what you did; I wanted to know what the file (being a text file, and not executable) contains

You could have, for example, opened the file in TextEdit like this: "open -a TextEdit /etc/hosts".

Quote:

Is there a particular manner in wich I have to write those or is there something wrong?

No, nothing wrong.