why does the finder do this?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Whenever I put a file into a folder or something gets downloaded into a folder, it ends up at the way bottom far away from anything else. Does anyone know what I am describing or am i alone? Ive put up with it for quite a while now but its really starting to get annoying. I would really like to know how to fix this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    feraliferali Posts: 175member

its all the way at the bottom for some reason

• Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    The Finder is broken and needs a fixin'. Another thing the Finder sometimes does is if you remove objects near the bottom of the page in icon view, the scroll bars disappear even though there are items above. Resizing the window a bit makes the scrollbars appear again.

In your case, does keeping icons arranged by name solve the issue? I used to get the problem you describe in OS 9 but I now keeep my icons arranged and I've never experienced that issue under OS X.

Another thing to try is deleting Finder prefs. I was baffled by the Finder doing something stupid - it would hang up for a while when listing items by kind in list view. Only by kind though, nothing else. I eventually removed the kind category. By chance I deleted the prefs and the problem went away.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

Whenever I put a file into a folder or something gets downloaded into a folder, it ends up at the way bottom far away from anything else. Does anyone know what I am describing or am i alone? Ive put up with it for quite a while now but its really starting to get annoying. I would really like to know how to fix this.

You might begin by removing your haxies.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Start by never using icon view. That's why Apple doesn't realize it is a problem, because no one in the company probably even uses the icon view. Column view is 13 zillion times more efficient.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You might begin by removing your haxies.

Where do you see the haxies?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Where do you see the haxies?

It's not brushed metal.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    only 4 icons are presented in ur finder?