MacBook wait times rise as EDU season rolls in

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Estimated wait times for Apple Computer's white MacBook consumer notebooks rose sharply this week as the company began fielding large orders from educational customers while simultaneously attempting to root out some ongoing production issues.

On Thursday, wait times for the 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz white MacBooks models through the company's online store increased from 1 to 2 business days to 5 to 7 business days. The 2.0GHz black MacBook, however, still carries a lead time of 1 to 2 business days.

While some tipsters have suggested that Apple may have slowed production as it attempts to rectify some outstanding issues with the notebooks, this does not appear to be the case. Historically, July marks the core of Apple's educational buying season, in which the company handles a flurry of large orders for its consumer and educational computers.

In an attempt to fulfill its commitments to its educational buyers, Apple will often designate a significant percentage of its production to these customers, which restricts product flow to its own shops and authorized resellers. (Customers looking to pick up a MacBook in a hurry may still turn to Apple Authorized Reseller Amazon.com, which retains stock of all models and is offering a $100 rebate.)

In the meantime, Apple continues to battle some ongoing production issues with the new Intel notebooks, such as dysfunctional TrackPads and premature casing discoloration on the white-colored models. But these minor issues, which the company appears to be addressing on an individual basis, have done little to quell the outpour of rave MacBook reviews.

"Overall, the new MacBook is a well-priced laptop that could fit the needs of most consumers. After all, it comes with the simplicity and security of Mac OS X and has many features still in the works for Microsoft's next-generation OS, Windows Vista," Robert Weston wrote in his review of the notebook for the well-syndicated Associated Press.

"Combine the MacBook's ability to run Windows at native speed with Apple's renowned knack for elegant hardware and software, and it's a formula that should give other PC makers nightmares," Weston added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Apple did a great job with its ability to fulfill orders when the MacBook was released. Apple has also ramped up production because the MacBook has been so popular. Combine that with Apple's increasing popularity so delivery delays can be understood.

Hopefully Apple can work out the issues and can deliver the units that market demands.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This article speaks for itself.

"Apple ranks No. 2 on PC buyer survey"

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/07/...ers.want.macs/
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Looks like a good strong April-May-June financial quarter, with MacBook overflow and MacPro propping up the July-Aug-Sep financial quarter. Go Apple, refine those hardware design issues and keep em' rolling. And don't forget to have those take-back/ recycle programs in place and improving...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gramscigramsci Posts: 35member
    I'm not sure if it is just because of the number of orders. Are they checking the plastics too? We ordered a Macbook on the 5th July and we are told that the delivery date should now be around the 26th July.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Hmm... AppleStore US is showing 5-7 business days for white MacBook. Which probably means resellers are having to wait around 2 weeks (10-14 business days?) for arrival. Wow, the MacBook is hot. Yeah, maybe they're refining some things (thermal paste, plastic discoloration, heat, otherstuff)?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    well, i just purchased my first mac (with free nano).. got the macbook 2ghz. with 2gig ram and 100gig hd (bought separately for $400 cheaper!)...Mine is targeted to ship on July 24th, order it yesterday (13th)... then the shipping should be atleast another week. Guess i have to wait until Aug to get it. or so it seems.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    rafarafa Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soonToBeMac

well, i just purchased my first mac (with free nano).. got the macbook 2ghz. with 2gig ram and 100gig hd (bought separately for $400 cheaper!)...Mine is targeted to ship on July 24th, order it yesterday (13th)... then the shipping should be atleast another week. Guess i have to wait until Aug to get it. or so it seems.

Hey, let me know if it ships before the 24th like Apple said it would. Just curious, thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    preeblepreeble Posts: 1member
    FYI - I ordered my customized macbook on july 3 - at this point, the estimated shipping time was 1-2 days. It was originally supposed to ship on july 7, and I received an email on july 8 stating that the new ship date was July 14. The MB ended up shipping on July 15th from China and I received it in NJ on July 17th.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Mine is now shipped, said originally it was going to ship on the 24th, but i got an email on the evening of the 21st...