G4 MDD Dual 1.25 died today.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me diagnose a problem that has reared it's head today.

I was up working late last night on my G5, writing some emails etc. when the power in my apt. went off. It's hot and humid here, so occasionally it happens. I reset the breaker and went to bed, thinking no more about it.

This morning I went to start up my Pro Tools audio mac (a G4 MDD Dual 1.25GHz model) and nothing happened. I use a 20" Apple Studio flatscreen and usually power up the computer from the monitor, but it was all dead. I checked all the cabling - there's power in the cable to the Mac, but the Mac won't respond and won't start up, so I'm assuming it might/must be the power supply. Is there a way to check this? Can I buy a new one if it's blown? Are they easy to replace..as in, could I do it myself etc. or does it need to go in for repair?

Any assistance very much appreciated.!

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Not to worry.

Reset the CUDA chip - (search for Apple CUDA for more details)

Power off. Unplug from power.

Open the door. Look for the battery on the motherboard.

Near the battery there will be a circular silver flat button about 0.5 mm in diameter, mounted on a tiny (1 mm) square base. Press this ONCE with the tip of a pencil or similar item and release.

Close door, plug in, press power button.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Not to worry.

Reset the CUDA chip - (search for Apple CUDA for more details)

Power off. Unplug from power.

Open the door. Look for the battery on the motherboard.

Near the battery there will be a circular silver flat button about 0.5 mm in diameter, mounted on a tiny (1 mm) square base. Press this ONCE with the tip of a pencil or similar item and release.

Close door, plug in, press power button.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it yet, but I did do a search for "Apple CUDA". All I found was help on how to reset a PCI G4, but I believe mine is an AGP version (MDD)

Was this something that also applied to the last range of G4s, which this is?

Thanks

Neil
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it yet, but I did do a search for "Apple CUDA". All I found was help on how to reset a PCI G4, but I believe mine is an AGP version (MDD)

Was this something that also applied to the last range of G4s, which this is?

Thanks

Neil

Yes. I have a MDD and it works for mine.

That is very common for the CUDA/PMU chip to crash if the power is interrupted. Happens to me all the time.

If for some reason resetting the PMU does not resolve the issue, take the motherboard battery out for 30 minutes and then put it back in. That will reset the logic board.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thanks for the tips Lundy. I tried the PMU button, but that didn't do anything - then removed the battery..waited 40 or so minutes and replaced it...still nothing.

Do you have any other suggestions? This is as dead as a doornail.

Thanks...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Well ... once I had one that would not start and it turned out to be the video card was torqued up.

So,

1) Can you check the battery to make sure it isn't dead?

2) Disconnect all USB and FireWire devices except the Apple keyboard and mouse.

3) Remove the video card.

And before doing that, let's try step one, which I forgot:

1) Is the wall outlet alive? Does something else plugged into it work? Maybe a circuit breaker got tripped by a surge. Is the computer plugged into a power strip? Try directly to the wall or check another device on the power strip.

Quote:

Thanks for the tips Lundy. I tried the PMU button, but that didn't do anything - then removed the battery..waited 40 or so minutes and replaced it...still nothing.

Do you have any other suggestions? This is as dead as a doornail.

Thanks...

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Well ... once I had one that would not start and it turned out to be the video card was torqued up.

So,

1) Can you check the battery to make sure it isn't dead?

2) Disconnect all USB and FireWire devices except the Apple keyboard and mouse.

3) Remove the video card.

And before doing that, let's try step one, which I forgot:

1) Is the wall outlet alive? Does something else plugged into it work? Maybe a circuit breaker got tripped by a surge. Is the computer plugged into a power strip? Try directly to the wall or check another device on the power strip.

OK.. First thing I did was check the outlet and strip..it works fine. I even moved the computer to a different wall outlet that works fine with lamps etc. ..no good.

Fortunately, I do have another MDD G4, which I moved my Pro Tools PCI cards into, as it's my work machine that died, so I had to get back up and running fast.

I could certainly try using the video card from that one, which IS working, and is also the identical model of vid card too.

Not sure if I can check the battery..don't have a meter.

All devices, USB, FW, have been removed. I'll try removing the video card next, and/or swapping it out.

Thanks for your patience..
  • Reply 7 of 10
    And it's probably worth a second try on the PMU button as a last resort. I've had my Dual G5 need a second reset a couple of times. IT's OK as long as you don't do it in immediate succession, as that can interrupt the chip while it is trying to reset and hang it permanently.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I've now tried everything. Removed the video card, replaced it with the vidcard from my working G4, tried the PMU twice...

It's still dead. Do you think this might be a PS issue now?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    Quote:

I've now tried everything. Removed the video card, replaced it with the vidcard from my working G4, tried the PMU twice...

It's still dead. Do you think this might be a PS issue now?

in the words of Master Shake, "it's probably something you did to anger god"
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

in the words of Master Shake, "it's probably something you did to anger god"

Yeah, you're probably right...

<shrug>