any mac experts here?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've been asking this question here but i wanted to see what my fellow AI's have to say

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....47191&tstart=0

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i've been asking this question here but i wanted to see what my fellow AI's have to say

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....47191&tstart=0

Swapping around the ram as described is a good idea. Try running the machine till it crashes, then remove the warmest dimm. Also, make sure all/any pci/agp cards are firmly seated. That can mess things up too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tag Me Back

Swapping around the ram as described is a good idea. Try running the machine till it crashes, then remove the warmest dimm. Also, make sure all/any pci/agp cards are firmly seated. That can mess things up too.

i removed 2 dimms, it crashed before i was able to login. then i tried the others and i can't get it to power up...i may have been trying to put the dimms in wrong, would this screw them up?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have never put the dimms in wrong so I don't know if that could damage the machine. Instead if putting both dimms in try one at a time. If one of them is bad it will cause a failure no matter what slot it is in.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 4
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I have never put the dimms in wrong so I don't know if that could damage the machine. Instead if putting both dimms in try one at a time. If one of them is bad it will cause a failure no matter what slot it is in.

reg

thanks for the responses

i took it into the apple store and they now suspect the power supply or logic board are bad

i refuse to put more money into and plan on getting a new machine