iBook keyboard issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The keyboard on my iBook has a rather annoying problem. The ribbon that connects the keyboard to the computer has some extra slack in it, and pushes up on that white plastic sheet under the keys where it meets the keyboard. This causes the plastic shee to impede the movement of the right Apple key and Enter button. They still work, but require extra force and don't "click" quite like the other keys do. This different feel makes it rather difficult to use these keys without remembering they need a little extra finger love.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have a possible fix? I know you are thinking I'm crazy for being picky about something like this, and you are right - I am crazy.

Thanks for any feedback.

-acr4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    If you haven't done anything with the machine, and it's still in warranty, take it to an Apple store/ service provider.

If that's not the case, then I'll assume that someone at some point in time has opened the machine. Trying to reassemble it might help. Go to www.ifixit.com/Guide, and have a look at the detailed disassembly pics.

David
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Try popping the keyboard (look at the manual under the ram replacement instructions). I used to have an iBook and had that problem the first time I reassembled it, I just adjusted the cable under the ram panel and it was fixed.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

Try popping the keyboard (look at the manual under the ram replacement instructions). I used to have an iBook and had that problem the first time I reassembled it, I just adjusted the cable under the ram panel and it was fixed.

Cool, I'll give that a try. I added more ram right when I got the computer, so I bet taking that panel off and feeding some of the slack into that cavity might work.

Thanks everyone!