getting the spinning beachball of death a lot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Slowing things up while browsing the web. What should I try - empty the cache? Zap the pram?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

Slowing things up while browsing the web. What should I try - empty the cache? Zap the pram?

Can you be a bit more specific? What kind of computer do you have, how fast is it, how much RAM do you have, what version os OS X are you running? Do you get the beachball when you're not browsing the web? What web browser are you using? Get back to us and mayb e we can give you some help
  • Reply 2 of 6
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Yeah sorry - specs are in my signature, have 512 MB of RAM, 1.33 GHz, using Safari 2.0.3, only getting the color wheel while online.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

Yeah sorry - specs are in my signature, have 512 MB of RAM, 1.33 GHz, using Safari 2.0.3, only getting the color wheel while online.

Hmmm ... okay, well your computer should certainly be able to handle Safari. Is there a reason you haven't updated to OS X 10.4.7 yet? You may want to try updating.

It could be a website you're trying to access is locking up the app. Try downloading FireFox and see if you still get the beachball. You can also try dumping the .plist for Safari and see if that helps. (It'll be loacted in Users/YOURNAME/Library/Preferences and labeled com.apple.safari.plist) Drag the file to your desktop, restart your computer and try using Safari.

Try dumping the .plist first and see if that helps, if not then you can try the other things I suggested. Let us know what happens...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    What other apps are you running whilst you're online?

I have found that Microsoft apps do tend to slow things down.

Open up your Activity Monitor app (found in Utilities) and have a look whats happening.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Porkspeare

I have found that Microsoft apps do tend to slow things down.

I took this as a general statement covering any microsoft application, operating system, or operating enviroment on any machine, ever. Did anyone else take it that way to?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Repairing permissions and clearing caches tends to speed things up, as does doing the "reset safari" every month or two.