Folder Options

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an iMac G5 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) and I want to ask if I can attach to a folder a short note?

10x

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yep, select the file and do File>Get Info (or right click on the folder and select Get Info, or press Command-I), and in the Get Info window, there's a small text field called Notes that you can use to make notes about that folder.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

I have an iMac G5 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) and I want to ask if I can attach to a folder a short note?

10x

That depends on what you mean, if you mean you want to attach the note as extra textual data that is included with the folder you can listen to the previous suggestion and add it to the info of that folder. Alternatively, if you want a message displayed when a user opens the folder you can use folder actions and a one line AppleScript to make a dialog box pop up when the user opens the folder. Also, you could always make a custom icon with whatever info you need or append it to the title.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

That depends on what you mean, if you mean you want to attach the note as extra textual data that is included with the folder you can listen to the previous suggestion and add it to the info of that folder. Alternatively, if you want a message displayed when a user opens the folder you can use folder actions and a one line AppleScript to make a dialog box pop up when the user opens the folder. Also, you could always make a custom icon with whatever info you need or append it to the title.

Akheron 10x alot man this was exaclty what I was looking for. To display the comments note when I open the window.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Just to add to Placebo's advice.

After adding your comments to a file or files. Then go to your "View Options" for that folder and turn on show "Comments". Then set your view to "List View" and your comments will show up in your folder window. You could then also move the "Comments" column over so it is more easily visible.

I used to do this a lot before Labels came back to help me tag things. Now with Labels back I don't use it as much but it is a helpful feature.