Who owns a 20" iMac (Core Duo)?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

I bought mine about a month since it came out. It was the best thing I have ever bought (with Oblivion for the 360 coming in at a close second lol)

I havn't pushed it at all yet...I think the highest I have gotten my CPU working is about 50%. The only time I have heard the fans is when there is no noise (and it is barely audible then) and during the update (which sounded like a car...wow those fans can really get going).

I usually use Safari, Adium (IM app), iTunes, and Quicksilver. When working on a project or something I have used Pages and Keynote along with the other four applications mentioned above, and it still has no lag or slow down.

On Warcraft 3 (about the only game I have for Mac, unfortunatly) the only lag I get is from my Internet Connection, and if I have a few thousands troops on the field. I have 1 gig of RAM and the 256 mb upgrade on the graphics card. If you were trying to decide between RAM and the graphics card, choose the graphics. The RAM you can always update later, but in a few years you might be sorry you didn't upgrade the graphics card.

This is the first Mac I have had since the first revision Bondi-blue iMac. OS X is a great OS (of course) and it allows you to do more than you ever could do with Windows. IT is also great being able to download any file (well there is that one trojan...) without worry. Dashboard was a stroke of genius and I use it all the time.

As for the iLife apps they are very fun to use. I still havn't quite gotten the hang of GarageBand (I think I could get the techical part down, but I am not very musically inclined). iPhoto and iCal are very helpful at any time. iPhoto stores all your pictures in an iTunes like way, and it is easy to find everything. iCal is just about the most helpful calander I have ever seen. It organizes everything in 3 different, great views.

Keynote and Pages (IMO) are far greater then Word and PowerPoint. Keynote has a slew of effects and features that make creating a slideshow as easy as it can be. If you want to do something it is almost like you can just think it and it will happen.

While Pages may not have as many features as Word, it's use of ease makes up for anything you lose. It can do everything most people WANT to do (where Word seems to be able to do everything you don't want to do...) and displays it in a way where it doesn't seem like your at your office, but rather in a comfortable place.

Oh by far though the most helpful tool has been the built-in dictionary.

I have once tried to hook my iMac up to a projector at school using the mini-DVI to S-Video. It worked pretty well, though for some reason the text seemed to get smaller through the process. I am thinking about buying a mini-dvi to VGA connector as well to get duel-screens. If I do that anytime soon I will tell you how that works out.

So far my iMac has had no problems and it does just about anything. I havn't tried booting Windows on it (don't have all to much spending money right now and don't want to blow it on a crappy OS) but from what I have heard, it works pretty well.

Shadow

P.S. If you are thinking of getting a new iMac you may want to wait until after the WWDC (or w/e it is called lol) to see when and what new things are coming.

Once again, hope that was helpful, if you have any questions just ask.

Im thinking about switching to a Mac (hense the user name, planning on getting a iMac and a Macbook. I was just wondering if you (or anybody else) knew when WWDC is? Thanks.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by win2mac524

I was just wondering if you (or anybody else) knew when WWDC is? Thanks.

It's easy enough to find out by yourself.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    My brand new 20" iMac was delivered last Friday (4 days ago) and collect by TNT today for its return.

2 hours after the initial switch on, I got terrible screen flickering it was like a strobe light. 1 hour on the phone to Apple support, screen was fine for 30 mins, then again the strobe like effect and now vertical white lines.

My 2nd new one should arrive tomorrow, hopefully this will be better.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Porkspeare

My brand new 20" iMac was delivered last Friday (4 days ago) and collect by TNT today for its return.

2 hours after the initial switch on, I got terrible screen flickering it was like a strobe light. 1 hour on the phone to Apple support, screen was fine for 30 mins, then again the strobe like effect and now vertical white lines.

My 2nd new one should arrive tomorrow, hopefully this will be better.

Sorry to hear that. Obviously you got a lemon. Good luck with the new machine.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Cheers matey....gotta say though it really is a beautiful looking machine.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    I have never had any problem with a screen flicker or dead pixels. The only thing with the screen I notice (when looking closely) is that there are dots that look exactly like pixels and probablyl are the pixels, but they look to be closer to me then the image on the screen...doesn't bug me at all, just a curiousity really.

Also for some reason Diablo 2 doesn't want to work smoothly. I can't join or create a game with an assassin and when I make it with my necromancer character after about 3-4 people join the game freezes and i get an enlarged mouse, and a loud sound that is like the sound when you try to switch to a window from the same application but you can't because of a different window. This problem also happens when I try to join a game with too many people and when I try to make games with my assassin. Anyone have any ideas of whats wrong?