Intel reportedly delays 'Conroe'... by four days

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm guessing it's gonna be an iMac revision.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

I can't find the news item I saw but Wikipedia now reflects the new release date.

Uh, someone must have edited it, as now it reads:

"The first Intel Core 2 Duo processor core, codenamed Conroe, is scheduled to be released on 27 July 2006 for desktops, replacing the Pentium 4 and Pentium D. "
  • Reply 23 of 37
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by acidapples

Uh, someone must have edited it, as now it reads:

"The first Intel Core 2 Duo processor core, codenamed Conroe, is scheduled to be released on 27 July 2006 for desktops, replacing the Pentium 4 and Pentium D. "

Yup! Looks like it was a false rumor ...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    The 27th June is confirmed.

Date set for phase 2 of Intel's Core launch
  • Reply 25 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mwswami

The 27th June is confirmed.

Date set for phase 2 of Intel's Core launch

June?????
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

June?????

Sorry, Its July.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Ignorant question, sorry, but does conroe support 64 bit? I'm assuming it's not and that just woodcrest is. Anyone?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest all support EM64T.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Good news. But am I right in assuming this will not be that relevant until leopard is released?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dunebug38

Good news. But am I right in assuming this will not be that relevant until leopard is released?

Tiger supports 64 bit Apps, but is not itself 64-bit. So there would be some benefit, but only for a program optimized for not just an Intel Mac, but a 64-bit one.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Tiger has no support for EM64T/AMD64/X64 executables at all.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Ignorant question, sorry, but does conroe support 64 bit? I'm assuming it's not and that just woodcrest is. Anyone?

Why would it matter? Honestly.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Apparently it doesn't matter. That's why I posted saying "ignorant question"
  • Reply 34 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Apparently it doesn't matter. That's why I posted saying "ignorant question"

That's not an ignorant question at all. 64-bit has very tangible benefits. Extra registers and the ability of apps to utilize more than 4GB of RAM. All things considered I'd like a 64-bit capable cpu if I could get one.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Tiger has no support for EM64T/AMD64/X64 executables at all.

But leopard should support EM64T at the least.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

That's not an ignorant question at all. 64-bit has very tangible benefits. Extra registers and the ability of apps to utilize more than 4GB of RAM. All things considered I'd like a 64-bit capable cpu if I could get one.

A better question would be if Leopard is 64 bit, will it support our 32 bit processors without having a 32 bit OS and a 64 bit OS version like MS does with Win 32 and Win 64?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

A better question would be if Leopard is 64 bit, will it support our 32 bit processors without having a 32 bit OS and a 64 bit OS version like MS does with Win 32 and Win 64?

Yes, because the bundle and lipo/fat binary techniques allow Apple to combine as many different types of binaries into one bundle as they feel like.

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib, for example, currently holds three architectures all in one file: ppc64 (64-bit PowerPC 970), i386 (Intel) and ppc (32-bit generic PowerPC).