After Effects is so expensive...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why? Why is After Effects so expensive??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Chizen likes money?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Get Shake instead unless you do vector graphics.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Because folks pay for it...I wouldnt...

Check out Conduit , a plugin for Motion that gives you most of the features of Shake using Motions REAL TIME engine...reallly friggen cool, check out the latest Macbreak vidcast for a demo.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I guess the market for After Effects is small and relatively price elastic.

All these years and I still don't even know what After Effects does. "Video effects" is about all I know. Back when I used to dabble with video, I did my own effects by separately rendering animated layers and then compositing them in an old version of Avid/Strata Videoshop. This was on an 8500, so the version of Videoshop was current at the time.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

All these years and I still don't even know what After Effects does. "Video effects" is about all I know. Back when I used to dabble with video, I did my own effects by separately rendering animated layers and then compositing them in an old version of Avid/Strata Videoshop. This was on an 8500, so the version of Videoshop was current at the time.

aftereffects is a professional grade video animation and fx package. most video production houses use it extensively ? hence the price. motion, on the other hand, is easy to use and can do some pretty cool shit, but it doesn't come close to aftereffects in terms of what it can do and how it integrates into a production work flow.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

aftereffects is a professional grade video animation and fx package. most video production houses use it extensively ? hence the price. motion, on the other hand, is easy to use and can do some pretty cool shit, but it doesn't come close to aftereffects in terms of what it can do and how it integrates into a production work flow.

That is true, but Motion realllly has some potential...check this out, I mentioned it earlier, but it basicly integrates about ~50% of the toolset of Shake into the realtime workflow of Motion with full on nodal compositing...here it is I wish I had Motion to try it out; if someone else is curious, too please DL the trial and tell me if it is worth looking at when I get a video workflow rig (hopefully 6-12 months from now) or should I just stick with good ole' shake?

As a noob, I would like and respect the oppinions of those who have compositing experiance.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Because specialized software, like specialized skills, is expensive. This is how things work, (un)fortunately.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

No, it's relatively price inelastic. The market is small, hence a change in price doesn't create a rise or fall in general consumption.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

please DL the trial and tell me if it is worth looking at when I get a video workflow rig (hopefully 6-12 months from now) or should I just stick with good ole' shake?

You'd use them together. Shake is for film and Motion is for vector graphics. Maybe if you go that Motion plugin mentioned above, you'd get some of the functionality of Shake but it won't do it as well and it will do it differently. I personally don't like Motion. I tried to use it on its own for a project that dealt mostly with vector images and I got so annoyed by some of the stupid ways it does things like transforms that I gave up and did the whole thing in Shake. I guess it just takes getting used to but I didn't feel comfortable with it.

Plus it was more unstable when pushed. It hung up quite a lot for me.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    anyone know if the student version of After Effects is up-datable to retail? My student version of CS1 was updatable to CS2.. Also what training would you recomenend for After Effects? I was going to get total training and also join lynda.com
  • Reply 11 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

No, it's relatively price inelastic. The market is small, hence a change in price doesn't create a rise or fall in general consumption.

Correct. botched inversion.