The next iMac

Comments

• Reply 61 of 176
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    20" monitor is a good size for the consumer space. I could see Apple nixing the 17" but selling a 23" version in the high end space ($1800-2000, which may be possible with the reduced prices of LCD panels) could erode Mac Pro sales as Graphic Designers and Ad agencies consider them for their "Main" computers instead of the bottom end Mac Pro's which at todays prices are very expensive for a "Production" computer. They will probably still buy MacPro's for some of their computers but the economics of the cheaper iMac 23" screens would probably work fine for 50-75% of their computer's with the added benefit of replacing aging monitors at the same time.
  • Reply 62 of 176
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

20" monitor is a good size for the consumer space. I could see Apple nixing the 17" but selling a 23" version in the high end space ($1800-2000, which may be possible with the reduced prices of LCD panels) could erode Mac Pro sales as Graphic Designers and Ad agencies consider them for their "Main" computers instead of the bottom end Mac Pro's which at todays prices are very expensive for a "Production" computer. They will probably still buy MacPro's for some of their computers but the economics of the cheaper iMac 23" screens would probably work fine for 50-75% of their computer's with the added benefit of replacing aging monitors at the same time.

That would work well for the businesses you describe but how would that sell to consumers? I doubt at that price you would see very brisk sales. That is too much for a consumer product especially when you factor in RAM upgrades and Applecare.
  • Reply 63 of 176
    If they try to stuff a Conroe in there at expense of the noise, I'm sticking with a discounted 20" CD. One of the reasons I'm making the switch is for ready-built silencing. If they get away from this again in the consumer space, that will be a sad thing.
  • Reply 64 of 176
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by acidapples

Also, perhaps Leopard arriving with it? Or is it yet too unfinished to retail this year?

Leopard is scheduled for next year. It has not even been previewed and this is going to happen next month. After the conference give it at least six months before it shows up in stores.
  • Reply 65 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by KamiNoYadoru

If they try to stuff a Conroe in there at expense of the noise, I'm sticking with a discounted 20" CD.

I doubt that Apple would use a Conroe in the iMac. A 23" model could easily handle the heat without compromising silence, but for the 17" and 20" it is more difficult. A 17" Conroe iMac would probably have the heat and noise issues that the older 17" G5 models had.
  • Reply 66 of 176
    I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release. And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate. I really hope they do go for a 23" iMac with i965 chipset, decent graphics (nvidia 7600gs) and eSATA port, then I would never need a tower again. FW800 would be nice too. if that appears in august/sept it will be my next mac.
  • Reply 67 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release.

That's an interesting point.

Quote:

And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate.

Not without a (perhaps very) noticeable increase in fan noise for the 17" model, probably the 20" one too. I don't remember the exact numbers, someone here could enlighten us, but I remember that Conroe is substantially more hot than Merom. I believe though that a 23" model would handle the heat without raising the noise levels. Today's Intel iMacs are almost silent and it would be nice to see them remain so.
  • Reply 68 of 176
    amackamack Posts: 19member
    I've noticed that the UK, French, German and other European stores are showing delivery times of 5-7 days for the 20" iMac. It has had 24hr delivery time for the last year, I wonder if we can expect an update before WWDC as Conroe and Merom are offically launched tomorrow.
  • Reply 69 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by amack

I've noticed that the UK, French, German and other European stores are showing delivery times of 5-7 days for the 20" iMac. It has had 24hr delivery time for the last year, I wonder if we can expect an update before WWDC as Conroe and Merom are offically launched tomorrow.

I would hope so... but "officially launched tomorrow"? I thought it wasn't going to be till the 27th which would be Thursday.
  • Reply 70 of 176
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

I think now the Edu only iMac is out the iMac will go 20" and 23" next release. And Conroe is 65w TDP yes? This should be easy for the iMac to disapate. I really hope they do go for a 23" iMac with i965 chipset, decent graphics (nvidia 7600gs) and eSATA port, then I would never need a tower again. FW800 would be nice too. if that appears in august/sept it will be my next mac.

Now that the 17" iMac has replaced the eMac, I think it makes sense for Apple to manufacture 19" & 22" iMacs.

Saw a whole bunch of 19" widescreen LCDs at NewEgg for around $200,

while this link shows the 22" size will be upon us soon:

http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20060720VL202.html
  • Reply 71 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

I would hope so... but "officially launched tomorrow"? I thought it wasn't going to be till the 27th which would be Thursday.

Sorry you're right, it's already shipping but is officially launched on the 27th.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531
  • Reply 72 of 176
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Sorry you're right, it's already shipping but is officially launched on the 27th.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531

I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips. Apple had a great market share increase in the last 12 months, and Intel needs that to continue to keep their chip volume up in a period of "weak demand" that they have been experiencing lately. Of course part of my "Hoping" is due to the fact that my 450 Cube is getting really slow and I want to replace it with a new iMac, but would prefer to do so after they release the next update. It would be even better if they put the 20" screen on the entry level iMac.
  • Reply 73 of 176
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

It would be even better if they put the 20" screen on the entry level iMac.

No no no.

Ad an 23" iMac.
  • Reply 74 of 176
    Quote:

I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips.

I like you're idea. It'd be a win for Intel and a win for Apple all in the same day. Though, while I'm like you and ready to purchase when they're announced, something tells me that the iMac might have to wait until Mac Expo. I hope it doesn't and just get's a speical announcement like the one you propose, but if it has to wait for an "event" then the September Expo is the one we'll be waiting for. Here's to hoping though.
  • Reply 75 of 176
    Quote:

I think that it would be a great win for Intel if they brought Steve out to launch an updated iMac with the official launch of the new chips.

Somehow I think a move like this would infuriate quite a lot of other intel customers.....

Like the idea though! 8)
  • Reply 76 of 176
    I've noticed on the UK Apple store that 20" iMacs have a delivery time of 5-7 days and when you customise the order (e.g. add a USB modem) it jumps to 9-11 days.

Are Apple cannibalising the parts to meet demands for the Macbook or do you think we will see a quiet upgrade to Core2Duo on Tuesday?
  • Reply 77 of 176
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

do you think we will see a quiet upgrade to Core2Duo on Tuesday?

It won't be quiet.
  • Reply 78 of 176
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

It won't be quiet.

I believe that too. Even if the iMac gets a Merom, this is a 64-bit processor and Apple would like to be a little more explicit about what the machine gets as CPU. Of course, the iMac had previously the also 64-bit G5, and I am not sure how Apple would handle this from a marketing point of view.

That's why I believe that the new iMac will show up in Apple Expo. Plenty of time to built a healthy CPU stock for an event announcement.
  • Reply 79 of 176
    When Intel released their Core Duo on the 5th January the Intel iMac was released the following week at MWSF. I really don't think they'll want to preview what is essntially a home computer at a developers conference. Surely they want the MacPro and Leopard to share the spotlight. So I think (hope!) 20" iMacs with e6600 2.40ghz next Tuesday.
  • Reply 80 of 176
    According to the MacWorld posting about the Core 2 Duo chips this morning, Intel expects most systems carrying the Core 2 Duo chips to be available next week. The article focused on HP systems, but it would be nice if Apple followed suit.