G3 Macs - still going strong?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After reading this story over at TUAW, I was inspired to start a discussion about G3 Macs. Is yours still going strong? Do you use it every day? Are you using it right now?

I have a 450Mhz Indigo iMac G3 and still use it almost daily (it's not connected to the net so I have to use my PC). OS X runs surprisingly well, obviously with a compromise on some of the visual effects, but that doesn't really bother me. I plan to by a MacBook for sixth form in September to run alongside it, but only cause it's a portable . I think it's great that five year old Macs can run Apple's latest operating system, year Leopard's probably gonna be out of the question but I'll have my MacBook by then. My PC, bought in 2001 (same age as my iMac) is slowing right to a halt, and there's not a cat in hell's chance that it'll run Vista smoothly. Just goes to show...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I bought a 600mhz snow iMac for $135 from some guy who shipped it to my in-laws house. I couldn't pass up the deal and i'm sure it'll work great when I get back to the states this fall. Too bad older airport cards cost a fortune.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by max_naylor

gonna be out of the question but I'll have my MacBook by then. My PC, bought in 2001 (same age as my iMac) is slowing right to a halt, and there's not a cat in hell's chance that it'll run Vista smoothly. Just goes to show...

Did you add tons of crapware like Real and Quicktime to startup? do you have or have you had lots of spyware? have you run system cleanup? and lastly; have you reinstalled?

and you got it in 2001; is it running ME or XP? computers do not get slower: they just get bogged down with crap; it is just as fast as the day you got it.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

...computers do not get slower: they just get bogged down with crap; it is just as fast as the day you got it.

I agree... however...

I don't spend NEARLY as much time "cleaning" OSX as I do XP... XP is just targeted by spam/bloatware to such a degree that it is impossible to maintain a "clean" system.

I kinda dread the day that OSX's market share gets any larger.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Computers can get slower as components and transitors are not perfect and will degrade over time... albeit slowly...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I used my iBook G3 up until my MacBook Pro arrived, around early May.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've still got a 700MHz G3 iBook that gets used regularly (every day) running OS X 10.4.

On the subject of PC's gettig slower vs. Macs getting slower. I'd say the PC's in my experience get more clogged with crap much more easily. Add to that my experience (YMMV) that OS upgrades are much smoother on the Mac side and usually do not bog down the machine the way Windows upgrades do.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    My little blue (iMac G3, 350 Slot-in, without FW , is

sitting on my desk and loves me from day one (about

6 years ago, well time is fading away.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

My missus is using our old imac G3 350mhz 7GB HD (!) - no firewire, no dvd. Ben running continually for years barring system updates.

It's running 10.3.5 and with the Shadowkiller haxie is not too bad just for surfing and emails.

Hey just upgrade the HD (as I did), say, put in a modern 80 Gig HD 7200

and the same computer will feel much much faster like an exchange.

Trust me.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    I'd second the motion for non-CPU upgrades. Major improvements in HD space and speed, as well as RAM can now be had for pocket money prices. (e.g. 80Gb and 512Mb)

David
  • Reply 10 of 26
    wait is the g3 imac the first revision or it? If so mine is going good...ish. There are 100+ icons on it so it tends to slow down. I plan on reformating it soon to get it working well again. Bugdom here i come!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Computers can get slower as components and transitors are not perfect and will degrade over time... albeit slowly...

THe only case I can think of where a computer slows down over time is if conductor drift is allowed to occur in the clock or PLL, subsequently slowing down the clock. The synchronous logic that makes up the rest of the computational parts of a computer is edge-triggered, and hence impervious to gradual physical changes so long as the clock period remains the same.

Fortunately, conductor drift, gate depletion, etc, take a long, long, time on any silicon, and especially on the relatively large silicon of the G3 class machines. Furthermore, it's just as likely for physical degradation to speed up the clock or PLL.

Back on topic: I have an old 350MHz Yosemite that I am tempted to beef up with a faster G3. If I find a good deal, I'll probably bite. 800MHz or faster, ideally. A 500+MHz G4 might also be an option.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

THe only case I can think of where a computer slows down over time is if conductor drift is allowed to occur in the clock or PLL, subsequently slowing down the clock. The synchronous logic that makes up the rest of the computational parts of a computer is edge-triggered, and hence impervious to gradual physical changes so long as the clock period remains the same.

Fortunately, conductor drift, gate depletion, etc, take a long, long, time on any silicon, and especially on the relatively large silicon of the G3 class machines. Furthermore, it's just as likely for physical degradation to speed up the clock or PLL.

Way to take all the humor out of his joke.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Way to take all the humor out of his joke.

Apolgies for being an engineer. If I made a subtle reference to relief efforts in the balkans, I'm sure you would take in a different stride than the rest of us would.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I agree... however...

I don't spend NEARLY as much time "cleaning" OSX as I do XP

I usally have to clean the cookie crumbs out of my keyboard once a week.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Apolgies for being an engineer. If I made a subtle reference to relief efforts in the balkans, I'm sure you would take in a different stride than the rest of us would.

Hah, you made me laugh out loud. Point taken
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    B&W G3/350 from 1999 still going strong here. I've had it shut down for the past week or so, though. The Intel iMac is _SOO_ much quieter. *sniff*

- Jasen.

p.s. Old Blue has been upgraded to a G4/800, so maybe it doesn't really qualify?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Still running my 2000 G3/400 pismo, recently upgraded to a G4/500 but running all of the same software/OS (10.4.7). Also has an upgraded HD done a few years back when iTunes came out, but still a surprisingly svelte and capable 'book, just a bit slow...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Did you add tons of crapware like Real and Quicktime to startup? do you have or have you had lots of spyware? have you run system cleanup? and lastly; have you reinstalled?

and you got it in 2001; is it running ME or XP? computers do not get slower: they just get bogged down with crap; it is just as fast as the day you got it.

I reformat about every six months, and I have streamlined the startup process as much as possible, and have tried to optimise performance as much as I can. I don't think it's reasonable to have to erase the contents of my hard drive and start from scratch in order to get tolerable performance. It's a downfall of XP and all of its predecessors. I've had OS X on my G3 iMac since 2003 and it still runs as fast as the day I installed it. What's up with that?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I have a Power Mac 9600 which I rescued, it had a Sonnet G3 card in it so it runs at about 450 with OS 9.2.2.

It is also on a Network and where as sometimes my Quicksilver and Powerbook dont wont to talk to one another the 9600 is always ready to connect to the Network!