Let's re-name iTunes...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I think it's about time to decease the iTunes name. Video clips aren't "tunes", and it would be better to just have a place where all media was together. Kind of like a "mother" application from Apple.

But, it would be hard to find a name to keep the same feel to the brand.

I have been thinking, as well as just a rename, what about a complete restructure of the framework? A place where all music, movies, tv shows, photos are stored on servers. (But that would be way in the future because we would need to rely on wi-fi clouds.) No need for hard drives, then. Just flash memory for streaming, and online playlists etc.

Post your names, everyone!

Mine:

"Eve" - too feminine?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    We can't
  • Reply 2 of 78
    mambo06mambo06 Posts: 23member
    Why not?

iTunes is way to corny, anyway
  • Reply 3 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mambo06

Why not?

iTunes is way to corny, anyway

That's like saying let's rename the Eiffel Tower, it wont work. However if you said: Why doesn't apple rename iTunes? Or: Will apple rename iTunes? Now that would be different matter. Still don't think it will happen any time soon though.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    iPodMediaPlayer???

• Reply 5 of 78
    iTunes is fine, they really need to change it from "music store" to "media store". That way itms would still apply .
  • Reply 6 of 78
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    iTunes is a strong brand name. They're not going to touch it.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mambo06

Mine:

"Eve" - too feminine?

What the christ is wrong with you for thinking that.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    No no, it would be iEve. That just sounds a bit dodgy imo.

Maybe iMedia?

It really doesn't need to be changed. Maybe if and when movies are offered. Even then they could make another store called the iMovie Store
  • Reply 9 of 78
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    WHAT THE CHRIST MADE YOU PEOPLE THINK OF EVE
  • Reply 10 of 78
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Call it Adam just to piss off Placebo even more!

Just playin'.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    iTunes is perfect, that way in 20years when the next generation ask "why is it iTunes" I can say "well you see a long time ago Apple only sold music through iTunes. And then the kids go "wow, I can't believe that, they sell food through iTunes now..."
  • Reply 12 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Basic marketing for beginners:

If you build a brand that is recognized all over the world, you don't change the name of that brand.

If your brand is dominant in its market you definitely don't change the name.

You can alter the name to distinguish product lines, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod video. But you don't change the name.

If you have a great product but a bad brand name, then you can change the name to give the product a new marketing life.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Okay then what about "iTunes Adam" for movies, and "iTunes Eve" for photos?

MWUAHAHHA
  • Reply 14 of 78
    NO NO NO. You need to leave room for Apple to breathe. What if they come up with even more innovative products related to iTunes? iEve? or iAdam? are up at the top of the product line naming scheme.

Son I propose we start somewhat further down the ladder. Introducing:

iMoses? - You heard it here first.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:

iMoses? - You heard it here first.

pmsl!
  • Reply 16 of 78
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    When "Tower Records" stopped selling records and started selling CD's, they never changed the name to "Tower CD's."
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Uh huh. Well Records is a generic term for a music track, it's not specifically related to vinyl. Vinyl is vinyl, CDs are CDs, but records can be both. If you want to get picky...
  • Reply 18 of 78
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    i also think they should rename iTunes. do it now while its popularity is not too great. iPod is the more important and recognized brand anyway. but even more important is increasing the quality of the content. the videos look like shit and the audio could be better.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

i also think they should rename iTunes. do it now while its popularity is not too great.

You're joking right? iTunes Music Store is second only to amazon.com as the most visited internet shopping site in the world.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Uh huh. Well Records is a generic term for a music track, it's not specifically related to vinyl. Vinyl is vinyl, CDs are CDs, but records can be both. If you want to get picky...

Records has only become a generic term since the introduction of Cd's. Before Cd's existed, records meant physical vinyl records. The definition has morphed over time.