High-res photos of Apple's Nike+iPod Sport Kit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    The Air Zoom Plus sneaks in silver/black stripe/red logo aren't so very ugly, although I still wouldn't buy them -- specially for a hundred bucks. Is it possible to just put these things in regular sneakers?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Good question josa- I was waiting for my account to be approved to post the same question.

It seems to me they wouldn't be so dumb as to make this thing work with other shoes.....but maybe they did. Two options come to mind- I use New Balance shoes (I find them a million times more comfortable than any Nike shoe)- could I hollow out a hole under the foot pad and stick the puck in there- or even stick it under the laces- and wear it on top of the shoe? Depending on how the mechanism that counts steps is activated- either way could work- unless Nike designed some type of special metal piece that activates the puck in the well of the specially designed shoe.

Anyone who has one of these- I would love to know what you discover if you experiment.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Now here is the really big question - has anyone tried the Nike+Sport Kit with a video iPod? Is there any reason to believe it not work on it?

Regards,

Andrew
  • Reply 24 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Space Traveler

Is there any reason to believe it not work on it?

Yes - Apple haven't released a firmware update for video iPods to enable them to work with this device. It will only work with suitably updated iPod Nanos.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

They are pretty typical looking for running shoes.

Runners will enjoy this product and its uses with the iPod.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Good illustration of why reading your post before hitting submit is a good idea.

This is unnecessary - posts correcting people's obvious grammar/spelling errors are really not warranted.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Do you have to use a nike shoe? Does the transmitter need to be in the base of the shoe like that? Would it work say if you had it in a band around your ankle or otherwise attached to your shoe/foot? Could another company make an attachment to say put it on the laces or something?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

This is unnecessary - posts correcting people's obvious grammar/spelling errors are really not warranted.

Whilst meelash could have been considerably more polite, there was some need for clarification.

25% of shoes means they only stock 1/4 the range.

25% off shoes means they have a 1/4 discount.

Whilst one can deduce the most likely intention was the second meaning, there'd have been no harm in asking politely which was intended, just to be sure.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    wackybitwackybit Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I especially love the gausian blur on the S/N that doesnt even come close to making it illegible...try a block pixelate then g-blur next time...or even maybe a good ole' black paintbrush...

You probably don't know anything about photography at all for sure. Since these devices are so small, a macro lens is probably used, resulting in shallow depth of field....the blur is not from gaussian blur, but from lens blur

But the other pictures I think were photoshopped (ones with a line drawn over the S/N)
  • Reply 30 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Whilst meelash could have been considerably more polite, there was some need for clarification.

25% of shoes means they only stock 1/4 the range.

25% off shoes means they have a 1/4 discount.

Whilst one can deduce the most likely intention was the second meaning, there'd have been no harm in asking politely which was intended, just to be sure.

No I agree - it wasn't what he said but they way that he said it.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

No I agree - it wasn't what he said but they way that he said it.

Sorry all...didn't realize my lecturing came across as snooty as it did. Guess I should have reread it before hitting submit.

8) 8)
  • Reply 32 of 38
    siphersipher Posts: 1member
    With regard to the Nike+ kit working with a video iPod, I don't think so. The latest iPod update included an update specifically for the Nano to enable it to work with the kit, but the update was only for the Nano.

What I'm most curious about is whether anyone knows if the sensor will work if you just, say, duct-tape it to your shoe (essentially, will it work without the special Nike shoe)?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Go read the Macrumors site- apparently- the question that has now been asked by at least 4 of us- has been answered there.

Yes- you can use the little puck-like accelerometer with any shoe- and Flowbee in the Rumors forum shows exactly how he did it in less than 10 minutes.

Sorry- I didn't have anything to say about anyone's use of grammar or percentages- just some news about the Nike+ product. Go figure!
  • Reply 34 of 38
    wlauwlau Posts: 5member
    Can you switch between miles and kilometres?
  • Reply 35 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wlau

Can you switch between miles and kilometres?

Yes
  • Reply 36 of 38
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    I am a little frustrated with the sensor's calibration. I calibrated it on over a 400m distance, which helped things, but anything above my "normal" pace, the thing gets to be about 10% long every mile! This adds up especially after 5 miles. Pretty discouraging. I am going to calibrate again today with a longer distance.

How does it compute distance based on your stride length /frequency. For example- Longer strides vs. shorter strides but at the same frequency?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWAL

I am a little frustrated with the sensor's calibration. I calibrated it on over a 400m distance, which helped things, but anything above my "normal" pace, the thing gets to be about 10% long every mile! This adds up especially after 5 miles. Pretty discouraging. I am going to calibrate again today with a longer distance.

How does it compute distance based on your stride length /frequency. For example- Longer strides vs. shorter strides but at the same frequency?

Does this thing really even try to measure strides length based on frequency/acceleration, or is it just a normal pedometer, that just counts steps and then multiplies them with the average stride length?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Does this thing really even try to measure strides length based on frequency/acceleration, or is it just a normal pedometer, that just counts steps and then multiplies them with the average stride length?

"average stride length" is a bit of a generic term. If I am running 5 miles at a slower than "average pace" or running 1 mile at a faster than average pace how can it be accurate? I mean, I know the price fits its functionality, but the faster/slower you run the longer/shorter your stride is.