Macbook Pro + Hands = Greasy!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I notice if I am typing for a long period of time, and my hands are resting on flat surface around the trackpad that my dead skin/grease/dirt starts to come off from the heat. When it is cool it won't do that, I thought maybe my hands were REALLY dirty, but I scrubed them! still I got some on there.

But once I remove my hand the grease sticks to and becomes a real pain to come off.

My question, is what would be a good cleaning soloution for the MBP surface, and the keyboard, because even the keys get the skin from my fingers..it's sad really. I put papertowels on there now, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Wash your hands better :-)

To clean the aluminium, use methanol on a cloth.

To clean the screen, use a spray-can of TFT-cleaner which u can get at a computer shop.

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    eeew, what's wrong with you man?? go see a doctor!

• Reply 3 of 11
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    ya ya ya. Thanks guys.... (ass's! hehe)

I've got screen cleaner. But methanol wont eat away the paint? or anything of the nature?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    I work at a design light-shop and i use methanol to clean stainless steel and anodized aluminium.

The macbook pro is mostly made out of anodized alu, there's no paint on the alu, so i'm pretty sure it won't harm your computer.

Try the bottom first to see what it does, methanol vapourises very quickly.

The macbook pro keys are made out of plastic so don't use it on those, although it could work, methanol isn't that agressive. To be sure U should try it...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I will. But I thought this casing was plastic, with like a brushed type of aluminum paint job.

But I will try it.

But lets say it doesn't work? Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, the casing is almost entirely anodized aluminum, with a few exceptions; for example, there is a plastic bar on the hinge.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Well that makes me happy. Now I won't have to worry about damaging (paint).
  • Reply 8 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    And no more eating buttery popcorn while you use your macbook!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Uh... The keys are plastic, but methanol should be ok as long as you don't leave it on there permanently... I use methanol to clean my plastic desktop keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Klawz

ya ya ya. Thanks guys.... (ass's! hehe)

I've got screen cleaner. But methanol wont eat away the paint? or anything of the nature?

Awwwww, who's worried about what methanol does to paint when you've got a great big CNS (central nervous system) for it to destroy?

http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm

try not to breathe too hard when cleaning with it
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I wouldn't even know where to find it.

But I just tried rubbing alcohol instead and it worked like a charm!