Gotomypc like app?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I need a application that is somewhat like gotomypc where i can enter in my IP into a browser give up a password and control my PC from somewhere else.

Does such a program exist for OS X or am I stuck with VNC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Orionetheus

I need a application that is somewhat like gotomypc where i can enter in my IP into a browser give up a password and control my PC from somewhere else.

Does such a program exist for OS X or am I stuck with VNC?

Years before Symantec's pcAnywhere, there was Timbuktu and it was Mac-only. Timbuktu Pro is still going strong and is cross-platform across Mac and Windows. GoToMyPC is a little bit more convenient in that you don't need to manually install the software on the remote station. Also, its remote station may be Windows, Mac, or Unix. Although it doesn't have a Mac host, it is not ignoring the Mac. Hopefully, it will completely support our favorite platform. For now, your best bet on the Mac is Timbuktu Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There's Timbuktu, there's Remote Desktop, there's many free VNC-based solutions (in fact, Tiger ships with a free VNC server, all you need is a client).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I managed to get a copy of timbuktu pro and I have spent 20 minutes playing with it...I can't seem to get it set up though.....how do I connect from one computer to another

(ps. it's a 14 day eval not pirated )
  • Reply 4 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, step one is to trash it (Timbuktu) and get a free VNC client. Step two is to start VNC on the desired remote computer, whether it be Mac, PC, or linux/bsd.

http://www.cs.vassar.edu/SysNews/vnc/osx.html

You can grab any of several VNC clients.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Can you guys reccomend a service for telling me the IP of a computer that has Dynamic IP?

Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Well, step one is to trash it (Timbuktu) and get a free VNC client. Step two is to start VNC on the desired remote computer, whether it be Mac, PC, or linux/bsd.

http://www.cs.vassar.edu/SysNews/vnc/osx.html

You can grab any of several VNC clients.

• Reply 6 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    whatismyip.com?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Thanks, but I meant have some service to tell me the IP at Location #2 everytime it changes/renewed so I can always VNC or SSH into my computer from Location #1.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

whatismyip.com?

• Reply 8 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    go to http://www.dynDNS.org and get a free account and make up a domain name. Then grab one of the free clients from the link on the dynDNS site and install it on your server.

The client checks your IP periodically and notifies dynDNS.org what it is. Then anyone connecting to your dynDNS domain name will get the correct IP.

Or you could write your own script like I had to do if it is for another purpose.

Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Can you guys reccomend a service for telling me the IP of a computer that has Dynamic IP?