A compact keyboard for an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

What I've been using for the past 3 years is 128x128, I think. So no, I don't *need* 240x320. To get me to buy another phone my #1 priority is that it fits well in my front pocket, even with jeans. Otherwise, I won't want to carry it everywhere, and no, I don't wear a phone clipped on my belt like some Batman belt.

But, that's me. I just want a phone to make calls and send text messages. I leave my work in the office, so I don't need/want a PDA. Don't need a camera either.

Mobile TV? Recently I've read the article where the analysts predict over 100 millions of mobile TV users in 3 years. I found it.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/13000.php

"This is further dependent on the availability of quality handsets, providing users with a large high resolution colour display, a good user interface, and lasting battery life."

Also, an interesting quote from another article

"Indeed, price structure is another important factor for operators if mobile TV is to reach the mass market. Research shows that consumers are most attracted to a subscription-based service where a flat monthly fee offers unlimited usage. Around EUR 8-12 per month is an acceptable figure in most markets.

"Pay-per-view didn't take off in the TV world and if users have to pay every time they tune in they will have to evaluate the worth of mobile TV. Therefore they will be less inclined to watch," says Johansen.

People are unlikely to replace their home viewing habits with mobile TV. But in the future the mobile phone is set to add another function to its growing repertoire, becoming a remote control on the run with television on the move."

http://www.ericsson.com/solutions/op...obile-tv.shtml
  • Reply 22 of 46
    And in Korea it's free of charge right now. They have their own standard - T-DMB.

"The number of free mobile broadcast users topped the 1 million mark as of June 15, seven months after the debut. The Special Committee for Korean Terrestrial DMB reported that about 320,000 units had been sold up until then, while other gadgets such as car navigation terminals, laptops and PMP (portable multimedia players) amounted to about 680,000 units.

According to the committee, daily sales of DMB gadgets reached almost 10,000 during the World Cup period. It also predicted that the number of users would double to 2 million by the end of this year."

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...9462611910.htm
  • Reply 23 of 46
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gene_technics

Mobile TV?

Definitely don't need.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Do you agree that minimalism means effectiveness in use in case of iPod? And how do you evaluate the fact that every company goes after Motorola RAZR V3 in the race for the thinnest phone. Why couldn't Apple provide such a device for customers and with the functionality of a notebook?

Yes, minimalism definitively works for iPod, I really can't imagine any buttons current iPod is missing. What comes to minimalism in cell phones, I think the current set of buttons(18-20) is optimal for the basic use. I would be more interested to try out either nokia 7380 or 7280 that have only that scroll wheel than your keyboard setup. Full qwerty keyboard is handy when you write something longer, but most people don't use their phones that way.

Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

*sigh*) I love my 6820, which is going on 3 years old now. I wish I could find a replacement though before it dies on me again. (It's already been replaced once). But all the new phones that has a qwerty keyboard is bigger than the 6820.

Please, please, we don't need another keyboard layout.

New Nokia E70 has the same design as 6820, and it also sports nice screen + wlan so I might be interested in that.

Quote:

Mobile TV?

Definitively no, I have been trying to get rid of my habbit of watching normal tv, Tv these days doesn't send anything but commercials. I haven't made my mind about video iPod yet, but video podcasts is definitively something I enjoy.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

New Nokia E70 has the same design as 6820, and it also sports nice screen + wlan so I might be interested in that.

SWEET! And I could probably live with the *slightly* bigger size. Can't wait until they're available so I can go in and hold one.

Thin is fine in a RAZR, and all my friends seem to have one. But I can see me slipping one of those babies in my back pocket and sitting on it! <CRACK!> Which is what I image would happen if I owned a Nano. They are so small that I would be tempted to put it in a back or front pocket and when I sit down, break it. However, I don't own one so I can't say how sturdy something that small is.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    i had a nokia qwerty phone. it was one of the first virsions but it works very well. its an awesome design.

its quick and easier to use then one would think. i mean your fingers dont hit the extra keys.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

Full qwerty keyboard is handy when you write something longer, but most people don't use their phones that way.

Say that to the inventor of the mobile phone - Motorola that's introducing the Moto Q this year. I'm refering to the inventor of the PDA - Apple Computer.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

Say that to the inventor of a mobile phone - Motorola that's introducing the Moto Q this year. I'm refering to the inventor of a PDA - Apple Computer.

God! those motorola phones get if possible even more hideous day by day. I never said anything about PDAs, If someone wants one, I'm not going to stop them, but I personally can't find any need for one after smart phone. By smart phone I mean firstly a phone secondary anything else, so communicator has always been my choice. If world should have learnt something from Newton is that PDA really doesn't efficiently solve any problems. Don't get me wrong, I thing tablet PC has some interesting possibilities, and might be interested if apple released one.To work, it would have to be completely thought thru solution, not like Windows glued over solution.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:

God! those motorola phones get if possible even more hideous day by day. I never said anything about PDAs, If someone wants one, I'm not going to stop them, but I personally can't find any need for one after smart phone. By smart phone I mean firstly a phone secondary anything else, so communicator has always been my choice. If world should have learnt something from Newton is that PDA really doesn't efficiently solve any problems. Don't get me wrong, I thing tablet PC has some interesting possibilities, and might be interested if apple released one.To work, it would have to be completely thought thru solution, not like Windows glued over solution.

Quote:

If world should have learnt something from Newton is that PDA really doesn't efficiently solve any problems.

As a notebook? Tablet PC is just a form factor for pen computing. My design can do it with a rotating display solving a more interesting task for every consumer - for watching Mobile TV. The matter is in the software (Windows software in the first case), and in the mobile software that mostly was developed for a PDA having the same functionality concerning the display resolution as Newton (336x240 pixels - http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/computers/omp.html) even without a decent keyboard (HP 6515 is on the way to that).
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

As a notebook? Tablet PC is just a form factor for pen computing. My design can do it with a rotating display solving a more interesting for every consumer task - for watching a Mobile TV. The matter is in the software (Windows software first of all in that case), and in the mobile software that mostly has been developed for a PDA having the same functionality concerning the display resolution even without a decent keyboard (HP 6515 is on the way to that).

Yes, IMHO PDAs are too big to carry around, and too slow to run proper programs(funny I say that, I used to have Nokia 9000 ), if I bother lugging around something, it's going to be something more like Flybook or proper laptop. Your other points have already been discussed on this thread so I'm not going there anymore. I primarily want phone, and everything else comes secondary, thats why Nokia 9300 is perfect for me. This discussion seems to boil down to that you like pda type of devices and I like smart phones, fighting over which is better is kind of futile because neither can turn others head around.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Yes, IMHO PDAs are too big to carry around, and too slow to run proper programs(funny I say that, I used to have Nokia 9000 ), if I bother lugging around something, it's going to be something more like Flybook or proper laptop. Your other points have already been discussed on this thread so I'm not going there anymore. I primarily want phone, and everything else comes secondary, thats why Nokia 9300 is perfect for me. This discussion seems to boil down to that you like pda type of devices and I like smart phones, fighting over which is better is kind of futile because neither can turn others head around.

The key is in VoIP. What phones in the future? Computers. Cell computers.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

The key is in VoIP. What phones in the future? Computers. Cell computers.

In that I agree with you, but before anything I want to see standards, SIP seems the way to go. Before anything proper can come out of VoIP, cell operators and internet operators have to be put in order, operators business model should be about delivering services not producing them, or they can produce them, but net neutrality is a must.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

In that I agree with you, but before anything I want to see standards, SIP seems the way to go. Before anything proper can come out of VoIP, cell operators and internet operators have to be put in order, operators business model should be about delivering services not producing them, or they can produce them, but net neutrality is a must.

Integrity. DSL becomes the most profitable business for fixed networks instead of ordinary telephony that is now integrated in mobile networks, VoIP would be developing a similar trend for Wi-Fi and provide mass consumption of this service. Portability, simplicity and comfort in use, and what is the most important thing, full mobile computing functionality of Wi-Fi VoIP phones are the factors that will boost the demand in such devices. I found an example of the implemented device in a similar form factor - http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=485
  • Reply 34 of 46
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=908

hey thats the link to see the phone with this keypad...theres a bunch more but i was too lazy to find them all...most never saw the light of day in the US this one how ever is due out on t-mobile sometime in the near future
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by shady104

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=908

hey thats the link to see the phone with this keypad...theres a bunch more but i was too lazy to find them all...most never saw the light of day in the US this one how ever is due out on t-mobile sometime in the near future

Unfortunately thats maybe the most futile design ever, why double the amount of buttons, if you still can't have own button for every character, try writing with proper qwerty keyboard or normal phone keypad with predicting text input and you would not even consider such a stupid key setup.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Unfortunately thats maybe the most futile design ever, why double the amount of buttons, if you still can't have own button for every character, try writing with proper qwerty keyboard or normal phone keypad with predicting text input and you would not even consider such a stupid key setup.

Anyway, just the SureType technology, Blackberry's design with full QWERTY and affordable email service has made RIM a successfull company and it's a big step for the industry.

Quote:

Interesting question is what's a proper qwerty keyboard in relation to mobile devices. It is proper only when it's a standard computer keyboard and no options - just as an external BT keyboard for a mobile device. What has made the QWERTY keyboard (Christopher Sholes, 1868, first implementation - 1873) so popular - ten-finger method of touch-typing (Frank McGurrin, 1878 ). How did they match? They have the same system of construction. The keyword - honeycomb. Any key is surrounded by six keys - let's take the J key (the natural position of the right hand - the hand is inclined to the left forming about 60 degrees angle). The construction of the keyboard - the J key is a central cell, UJM - vertical axis of a seven keys' group. The index finger "alone" has 6 possible "ideal when it's used alone" positions - Up - U, Up-left - H, Up-right - I, Down - M, Down-left - N, Down-right - K. That's the point for advancing - the middle finger is placed on the K key and is now getting designated for the I key. The group has changed - the index finger that has more freedom than the middle finger is naturally moving by arc when it's stretched to the Y key - now it's is on Up position, the U key became Up-right (symmetrically, the B key is a new Up position for the left index finger - the C key has been designated to the left middle finger), note that is only for the index finger - two designated columns of keys, the rest of the fingers have one designated column each - IK<, OL>, P:/. It's a practical implementation now - it works. That's the QWERTY keyboard - hardware and the system of typing for two hands. My project is for one-hand typing based on the same principles of ergonomics - the compactness of the prototype of a mobile notebook allows to designate the three overlapping areas this time for three fingers - 1-2,2-3,3-4 and at the same time they have their columns for the start of typing. The fingers are moving freely and easily following the sequence of keys that are pressed and the wrist of hand is in a relatively fixed position - like in the ten-finger method.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Anyway, just the SureType technology, Blackberry's design with full QWERTY and affordable email service has made RIM a successfull company and it's a big step for the industry.

Interesting question is what's a proper qwerty keyboard in relation to mobile devices. It is proper only when it's a standard computer keyboard and no options - just as an external BT keyboard for a mobile device. What has made the QWERTY keyboard (Christopher Sholes, 1868, first implementation - 1873) so popular - ten-finger method of touch-typing (Frank McGurrin, 1878 ). How did they match? They have the same system of construction. The keyword - honeycomb. Any key is surrounded by six keys - let's take the J key (the natural position of the right hand - the hand is inclined to the left forming about 60 degrees angle). The construction of the keyboard - the J key is a central cell, UJM - vertical axis of a seven keys' group. The index finger "alone" has 6 possible "ideal when it's used alone" positions - Up - U, Up-left - H, Up-right - I, Down - M, Down-left - N, Down-right - K. That's the point for advancing - the middle finger is placed on the K key, the group has changed - note only for the index finger, the rest of the fingers have the strictly designated vertical axes - IK<, OL>, P:/. The index finger that has more freedom than the middle finger is naturally moving by arc when it's stretched to the Y key. Now the Y key is Up position (symmetrically, the B key is a new Up position for the left index - the C key has been designated to the left middle finger). It's a practical implementation now - it works. That's the QWERTY keyboard - hardware and the system of typing for two hands. My project is for one-hand typing based on the same principles of ergonomics - the compactness of the prototype of a mobile notebook allows to designate the three overlapping areas this time for three fingers - 1-2,2-3,3-4 and at the same time they have their columns for the start of typing. The fingers are moving freely and easily following the sequence of keys that are pressed and the wrist of hand is in a relatively fixed position - like in the ten-finger method.

Ok, I'm not going to get into semantics of QWERTY keyboard, and I now see that my knowledge about qwerty was not up to par, in all my previous posts qwerty references to a keyboard that was capable of producing all 29 of english characters and all 10 numbers, arranged in fashion of qwerty keyboard layout. But my point stands, there is no point in creating completely new layout just for the sake of it, people have already become familiar enough with the normal phone pad and the way letters are mapped on it.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    In addition, for reliablity and easy touching the keys of the device would be sensor plates or realized on the second touch screen (3" is an exact size for such device's displays, dimensions of the device is about 58x104 mm - I would call it "Cell Tablet PC" - an appropriate name in connection with the existing UMPC concept).
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Ok, I'm not going to get into semantics of QWERTY keyboard, and I now see that my knowledge about qwerty was not up to par, in all my previous posts qwerty references to a keyboard that was capable of producing all 29 of english characters and all 10 numbers, arranged in fashion of qwerty keyboard layout. But my point stands, there is no point in creating completely new layout just for the sake of it, people have already become familiar enough with the normal phone pad and the way letters are mapped on it.

Sure, for the phone. We've made the cell computer.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mambo06mambo06 Posts: 23member
    Gene, you really are pushing your idea, aren't you.