firewire interfaces for ProTools set up

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm getting ready to either buy a new Mac Pro or a G-5 (dual core 2ghz with an extra meg of RAM) for my home studio and want to get some feedback re: a reliable FIREWIRE INTERFACE with more than 2 simultaneous inputs (4 or more needed). It needs to work well with ProTools.

I'm leaning toward the M-Audio 1814 w/M-Powered ProTools (7.1 version) bundle.

However, since I've got time before the new Macs come out, I am curious what others have to say and might recommend.

Let me say thanks in advance for any of your sage advice or personal experience.

Sincerely

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hi you will get a lot more responses if you post on the Digidesign BBs

http://duc.digidesign.com/

Whats wrong with the Digi 002r?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rickster62

an extra meg of RAM

Pushing the boat out a bit there, aren't we?

;-)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    wow! 513megs of ram the RDF is in full force

make sure you wear your sunglasses at night
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thanks for steering me to the ProTools bulletin board...

I'll check it out.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

Pushing the boat out a bit there, aren't we?

;-)

Sometimes If you dont have anything useful to say it is better not to.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rickster62

thanks for steering me to the ProTools...

I'll check it out.

Hi Rick I remember you posting on the DUC about this subject.

If you want (I believe) better audio specs and a possible upgrade path to a future better model, you should go with the Digi002R that includes an even better version of ProTools and more plug-ins ($1200@sweetwater).

If you want the cheapest way, FW1814 and ProTools M-Powered is OK ($750@sweetwater).

Both solutions will work on the new Intel-Macs as soon as Digidesign releases an update the 7.1.1 version that currently works on Intel-based iMacs and MacBook Pros. It shouldn't take long.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've gone onto the ProTools site to see the list of what software versions are compatible with which Macs and Interfaces...

I think that the 1814 is going to be plenty for me in terms of number of inputs. Being cost conscious with the components (after shelling out about $2000 for the MAC) is just a reality for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

rick
  • Reply 8 of 8
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've got the 1814 and the only two things I don't like about it are that AFAIK there is no direct input monitoring in Pro Tool M-Powered so you will get a little bit of latency. I don't think this would bother me if I had a better box though. My G5 1.6 tends to crap out if I push the latency, tracks and plug ins. The other thing I'm not crazy about is that the headphone controls are digital and they don't respond that well. There's a definite lag between turning up and down before the volume changes. Kind of minor, but annoying. I don't want to sound too negative though as in general I've been very happy with both pro tools and the 1814.