Superman Returns....Opinions?...No spoilers...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anyone who saw Superman Returns...what did you think?

Is there anyone who absolutely hated it?

IMHO, I liked it. Maybe it was a little long, then again I had to go to the bathroom during the movie...but I didn't hate it.

I know someone who saw it and absolutely hated it. Hated everything about the movie. Don't know why. Maybe the person was just trying to be different than everyone else.

But, most of the people I saw the movie with liked it. One person had their gripes but they were the kind of gripes wher you say, It was just a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO, how realistic is it supposed to get?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I thought it was ok. To me the movie didn't seem to have any ups or downs in it's plotline. It was just like I was sitting there watching the movie. It didn't seem to really get me into it. However, I have not seen any of the other Superman movies, so my lack of relationship with the characters probably has something to do with that.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I liked it Ok but I was a little bummed that Superman accidently kills Lois, I didn't like that Lex Luther turned out to be Jimmy Olsen's real father and I think it was a big mistake to have Superman die in the end. Oh, and to have Ma and Pa Kent turn out to be aliens was just silly.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I liked it Ok but I was a little bummed that Superman accidently kills Lois, I didn't like that Lex Luther turned out to be Jimmy Olsen's real father and I think it was a big mistake to have Superman die in the end. Oh, and to have Ma and Pa Kent turn out to be aliens was just silly.

Don't forget that lame scene where godzilla begs superman to go to the roller derby.

flick.

( go see it I thought is was a gooder. )
  • Reply 4 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

• Reply 5 of 35
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    A very good start of resurrecting the Superman franchise. Singer had a ton of ground to cover from start to finish and he did a great job. The plot was weak. But it was because of the amount of fluffy-fluff they had to write in first.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 35
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I liked it. It wasn't great, but it was good. It seemed to be a emotionally complex but intellectually simple movie... which doesn't necessarily jive with me all that well.

Parker Posey and Kevin Spacey were great :-D
  • Reply 7 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Why didn't they use the Smallville guy? The superman in the new one looks like a dork. His hair's too long too. What good is that when you are flying faster than a speeding train? There's too much wind resistance.

Kevin Spacey's head is also too small. Lex Luthor is supposed to have a massive baldy.

I've yet to see the movie but I'm not impressed with the trailers. Some of the effects look quite bad IMO. I've seen better ones on Smallville.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the film though.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Generally liked it. Wanted to see it in IMAX 3D, but the two shows I had time to see were sold out.

Story line was ok if a little weak. Most of the FX were quite good, except some of the flying scenes had the badly done CGI appearance that Matrix Reloaded suffered from.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Spoiler! (not really)

Superman's hair gel can survive re-entry. The only thing cooler than that was Lex Luthor's boat. Despite the fact that they botched some of the shading in some of the scenes, it was damn cool, and the boat animators redeemed themselves by the end of the movie.

One more time, Lex Luthor's boat fucking rocks.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Yeah, it was good if you like plot holes large enough to drive a small PLANET through. Remember the kiss of forgetfulness at the end of Superman II? I guess it was a bit selective. (Hey, I didn't give anything away, really.)

Has everyone seen this whose gonna? Cuz I'd really LOVE to discuss those holes. Hmm, maybe a new thread?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here's a review of Superman and a few other summer blockbusters:

• Reply 12 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That was the worst feature of Harpers for months, that cartoon.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Well I had high hopes for this movie however I didn't like it as well as I though I would. The FX were great. Flying has never looked better. However the heart of this movie seemed to be missing when compared to say the reedited version of Superman 1. Donner did a great job and probably would have been even better if it hadn't been for the Salkind's infererence.

As for Routh. It's amazing how much he sounds like Reeves in his performance.

Also I didn't think the 2 dog thing was funny or that it moved the story along in any way. No Spoilers.

I think Spacey is great as Luthor and I'm glad there was no Otis.

The problem is that some of the best parts were retreads of Superman 1 right down to some of the dialog.

It just seemed that Superman 1 had a whole lot more class.

Forget the rest of the Salkind's efforts as they fired Donner after 1 and played up the comedy ruining the franchise at that point.

I'm hoping the next one will be better.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I heard the next superman movie is going to be called Superman 3000 EXTREME: Defender of the Universe
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

One person had their gripes but they were the kind of gripes wher you say, It was just a movie ABOUT A SUPERHERO, how realistic is it supposed to get?

So yeah, he can fly, move fast, heat things with his eye etc. BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.

I really wanted to like this movie, have liked the X-Mens, the Spidermans, and the recent Batman Begins, but this had little soul, and as stated lots of things happen that have already happened way too many times before in the Superman universe.

Not to mention the fact that although this is done by WB as Smallville is, the one reference to Clark's past goes against the whole series of Smallville. I know it's all written by different people, but come on! This is all meant to be the same world. (Forgetting the obvious leap in technology from Lois and Clark to Smallville, which happens before it...)
  • Reply 16 of 35
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

.....BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.....

Well I was going to wait to see this when it comes out on DVD but I don't know if I can wait now. THEY HAVE AIRPLANES FLYING ON THE MOON???
  • Reply 17 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by dac0nvu

Well I was going to wait to see this when it comes out on DVD but I don't know if I can wait now. THEY HAVE AIRPLANES FLYING ON THE MOON???

We can really explain this bit, could be considered a spoiler. PM me or someone else who has watched it. If you really really want to know before watching the show.

So, BTW, I liked the emotion part of it and nostalgic bits of my childhood. I went in with low expectations and was quite satisfied by the end. This is all given I do not watch Smallville.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I wasn't so disappinted since I don't watch Smallville 90210 either. It is what it is; a Superman movie.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    when are they going to make a superfriends movie?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Justice League movie maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_league