Apple, bring back "laptops"... to hell with "notebooks"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Chucker - yeah I know the Alienware laptops are massive and think, I forgot too mention that sorry

If they made the MBP a little thicker, personally I wouldn't mind, 1 inch thick is insane already.

I am 100 gettin a laptop by, or before Christmas, so I really hope any new laptop apple introduce has 2 mouse buttons for windows (WLM 8.0, games, photoshop (until CS3 for OS X) along with others)
  • Reply 22 of 63
    My MacBook gets about the same temp outside as my iBook did?_and this is at full load. I can use it on my lap without getting that warm.

Why two mouse buttons? Just hold two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button - that's a control-click right there. Or use an external mouse.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
  • Reply 24 of 63
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    The 3 year old Dell laptop (which was not top of the line even when new) my school provides me as a teacher runs too hot to place on my lap while I am simply web surfing or using Word to create quizzes and tests. If it's been on--not sleeping--for over an hour, I know *not* to put it on my lap. It doesn't actually burn me to the point of injury, it's just really uncomfortable.

Some other teachers at my school have similar problems, but some have none. I just figure its the roll of the dice with these things.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mullmanmullman Posts: 26member
    My BlackBook might be slighter warmer than my 1.5 GHz PB G4 (Aluminum).

It is much faster and was PERFECT out of the box.

I think the problems with the Intel Macs are over hyped.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Just read the MacAddict review of the MacBook, they call it 'ludicrously hot' just watching a DVD, and quoted Apple's webiste (not sure what page) as saying 'Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

Plus the screen is so tiny it'd take allot of getting used to!

I'll wait for Rev. B, thanks!

• Reply 27 of 63
    Maybe they got a bad unit ? it happens.

Tiny screen? Have you used the 12'' iBook? This thing's bigger than that ? trust me, compared to my dad's 17'' iMac, the MacBook screen seems like it's almost as large. Obviously it's not, but it just FEELS nearly as large.

I have the Rev A MacBook, and it gets nowhere near as hot as some people have been saying their MacBooks get.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    http://cbs5.com/seenon/local_story_193213753.html

This is great: exactly the kind of bad press that might, just might, get Apple to take notice and address this heat issue as the serious matter it is. Funny how Apple's standard response to reporters is almos always "If users have any issues with their Apple computers, they should contact Apple directly." Right. So that they can be told that "in today's industry, computers are all getting hotter", blah blah blah... And here I thought Apple was different, caring about both form and function, silly me.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

http://cbs5.com/seenon/local_story_193213753.html

This is great: exactly the kind of bad press that might, just might, get Apple to take notice and address this heat issue as the serious matter it is. Funny how Apple's standard response to reporters is almos always "If users have any issues with their Apple computers, they should contact Apple directly." Right. So that they can be told that "in today's industry, computers are all getting hotter", blah blah blah... And here I thought Apple was different, caring about both form and function, silly me.

I think Apple does take the heat issue seriously. Evidence is the lack of a G5 portable.

I am not sure that they have to think different to take it seriously. I think all the computer manufacturers take it seriously. There is manufacturing variability and it seems to be larger than I expected. I think DCQ made a good point that "Some other teachers at my school have similar problems, but some have none."

The computer manufacturers and consumers want speed and comfort and there can be a trade off. The P4 Desktop chips that went into Gamer "notebooks" are definite evidence that some people only care about speed. If Apple only but the low power chips in notebooks with a low thermal characteristics (or gasp underclocked the chips) there would be a lot of complaints from another segment of the Apple population.

As consumers we choose what is important, unfortunately Apple does not have a line up to satisfy every demand, yet. Hopefully in the not too distant future you can find your perfect machine.

(Unfortunately I also know people who are never satisfied, the computer should be the fastest available, really cheap, run quiet and cool, have a monster screen and did I mention that it should be really cheap.)
  • Reply 30 of 63
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I think Apple does take the heat issue seriously. Evidence is the lack of a G5 portable.

Very true.

Quote:

Unfortunately I also know people who are never satisfied, the computer should be the fastest available, really cheap, run quiet and cool, have a monster screen and did I mention that it should be really cheap.

Also very true. Hot or loud laptops in the PC world are common. You have to have one or the other you cannot have both.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Also very true. Hot or loud laptops in the PC world are common. You have to have one or the other you cannot have both.

Um, my PC laptop is both hot and loud, so there. It's also 10 lbs, so there's absolutely no excuse.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silverdog

My qualm with Apple is that they never seem willing to sacrifice bragging rights like having the thinnest laptops around, even when that causes massive problems with things like heat. If it gets too hot, then feel free to make it slightly thicker if that helps, by all means! Also they take an incredibly long time to learn their lessons: witness the lack of CD-RW in Macs for a long time, the hockey puck mouse, the lack of built-in flash card readers as of yet, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    'Massive' problems? Not that massive. I'm not denying there are problems - just not massive ones.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:

Um, my PC laptop is both hot and loud, so there. It's also 10 lbs, so there's absolutely no excuse.

I meant you cannot have both cool and quiet. Who wants a 10 pound laptop that is hot and loud?

Quote:

My qualm with Apple is that they never seem willing to sacrifice bragging rights like having the thinnest laptops around, even when that causes massive problems with things like heat.

Aren't you being a wee bit over the top.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

I meant you cannot have both cool and quiet. Who wants a 10 pound laptop that is hot and loud?

err... I think that was... sarcasm. 8)

Quote:

Aren't you being a wee bit over the top.

Alright so maybe they're not 'massive', maybe they're just 'serious'.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mackilroy

Maybe they got a bad unit ? it happens.

Tiny screen? Have you used the 12'' iBook? This thing's bigger than that ? trust me, compared to my dad's 17'' iMac, the MacBook screen seems like it's almost as large. Obviously it's not, but it just FEELS nearly as large.

I have the Rev A MacBook, and it gets nowhere near as hot as some people have been saying their MacBooks get.

I've seen a 12" iBook but never used one myself. I am comparing the MacBook to a 17" iMac. (points to sig) To me, it has about 1/2 the 'real-estate' the iMac has, at least after spending 5 or 10 minutes checking out a MacBook at the Apple store. Probably not a quantitative comparison, but...

And the MacBook I was using at the store was noticeably hot under the wrist rest areas just paying around with the desktop and Office.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    MacBook vs Dell Latitude in a heat test.

Averaged over all the MacBook was about two degrees hotter than the Dell Latitude but a lot of the heat was in one part of the laptop. Basically over all they were the same for heat dissipation.

http://www.krischeonline.com/staticp...p?page=macbook
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

I've seen a 12" iBook but never used one myself. I am comparing the MacBook to a 17" iMac. (points to sig) To me, it has about 1/2 the 'real-estate' the iMac has, at least after spending 5 or 10 minutes checking out a MacBook at the Apple store. Probably not a quantitative comparison, but...

And the MacBook I was using at the store was noticeably hot under the wrist rest areas just paying around with the desktop and Office.

That's what I compared it to as well. Trust me ? I put the MacBook and iMac side-by-side and the MacBook looks like it has an enormous screen for a laptop.

Then again, if you're looking for a ton of desktop space, get a MBP.

You were using Office. Of course it's going to get warmer, because Office isn't a UB yet and has to go through Rosetta, which puts more strain on the processor. Try a UB app next time you go.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mackilroy

You were using Office. Of course it's going to get warmer, because Office isn't a UB yet and has to go through Rosetta, which puts more strain on the processor. Try a UB app next time you go.

Huh? Who cares that he was running Rosetta apps? It's not like he had a choice, considering that key apps are not available as UBs (Office, Photoshop). When those apps have been ported over, then you can give him hell. In the meantime it's just another lame excuse from, dare I say it, an Apple fanboy (not that you necessarily are one yourself.. just saying).
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

Huh? Who cares that he was running Rosetta apps? It's not like he had a choice, considering that key apps are not available as UBs (Office, Photoshop). When those apps have been ported over, then you can give him hell. In the meantime it's just another lame excuse from, dare I say it, an Apple fanboy (not that you necessarily are one yourself.. just saying).

He didn't have a choice of what apps to run? That's ridiculous. I still see your point, but he could've tried other stuff as well. That kind of heat isn't normal.