Analyst sees WWDC as Mac only event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Reacting to rumors on Tuesday, an analyst for American Technology Research said it's unlikely that Apple will use its upcoming World Wide Developers Conference to introduce new music-related products.

"Today, there is speculation regarding the announcement of new iPod nanos and an iTunes movie service at Steve Jobs? upcoming keynote on August 7, 2006 at Apple?s WWDC (Worldwide Developers Conference) in San Francisco," analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a note to clients.

"While we would like to see Apple refresh its nano sooner than later, our analysis continues to indicate a late September-October launch and ramp as more likely," the analyst said.

While Wu admitted that "there is a first time for everything," he told clients to "keep in mind WWDC is a Mac event and has not been used in the past for major iPod announcements."

The analyst, who maintains a buy rating on Apple shares with a price target of $75, said he continues to anticipate "a separate event to announce new iPod related products."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Step to the Wu! Wu financial........

If his comments get any more incisive, my head might explode.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Step to the Wu! Wu financial........

If his comments get any more incisive, my head might explode.

I suppose at least it makes sense, rather than being utter garbage.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Wu ... Wu ... Woo .. Whoo! ... he's a ghost! AppleInsider is haunted!

WWDC will be Mac only. And the analyst anticipated media event in October will be iPod only, whether it happens or not. You Heard It Here First! (tm)

Guh
  • Reply 4 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I disagree,

In WWDC '04, they spent A LOT of time covering the iPod & ITMS in the keynote. I'd say it was at least 25% of the keynote.

Unfortunately, WWDC isn't just about macs any more, it's about apple. I used to love the days where it was 100% developer, but now there is a little bit of consumer sprinkled on top.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I suppose at least it makes sense, rather than being utter garbage.

That's true. I just get very exasperrated by the fact that AI posts every single one of this dude's ramblings.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The rumor is the movie service will be rental. I wonder if it will be successful?

I thought downloads would replace DVD, but it seems like online is only going to be for renting with HD DVD still there for owning. At least it would eliminate the major pain of returning rental movies to the video store. But still leaves us in the inefficient situation of buying information physically burned that we should just be able to request from the network.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I disagree,

In WWDC '04, they spent A LOT of time covering the iPod & ITMS in the keynote. I'd say it was at least 25% of the keynote.

Unfortunately, WWDC isn't just about macs any more, it's about apple. I used to love the days where it was 100% developer, but now there is a little bit of consumer sprinkled on top.

Which, for the developer's who paid $$$ to get in there, I'm sure they loved. "Hey, look, they're talking more stuff that's going to make them money, but we can't do anything with because all of it is closed and proprietary!"
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Which, for the developer's who paid $$$ to get in there, I'm sure they loved. "Hey, look, they're talking more stuff that's going to make them money, but we can't do anything with because all of it is closed and proprietary!"

I agree with you 100%. Even though, the keynote is for 2 hours out of the whole convention. The developers pay for making contacts, workshops, sessions, help, etc. I have a rant somewhere on these boards from a year ago bitching about how apple shouldn't be announcing consumer products that don't have anything to do with the devs at WWDC. But since MW Boston and MWNY have gone byebye, it's hard not to i guess.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I disagree,

That may be true but WWDC was supposed to be a developer's conference, as in software developer. I don't think it makes sense to cover much for iPods because there's no licenced way to add software to the standard iPod OS. You can do it with iPod Linux but that sort of thing isn't something Apple has to support.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    If this guy was right... people should only just be starting to get their MacBooks this month. He predicted July.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think it has been too long of a time between iPod refreshes and The Steve will break with past traditions just this once.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubert

I think it has been too long of a time between iPod refreshes and The Steve will break with past traditions just this once.

There's already a pattern for this. The main iPod has been consistently updated once a year, in the fall, and I think August would be earlier than usual. The photo iPods and U2 iPods are exceptions with respect to the main iPod but the basic design hasn't changed.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

The rumor is the movie service will be rental. I wonder if it will be successful?

I thought downloads would replace DVD, but it seems like online is only going to be for renting with HD DVD still there for owning. At least it would eliminate the major pain of returning rental movies to the video store. But still leaves us in the inefficient situation of buying information physically burned that we should just be able to request from the network.

I hope not HD DVD. I think Blu-Ray will win, why would anyone suport HD DVD, I don't get it.

HD-DVD: 15GB

Blu-Ray: 25GB

no contest, and besides, Apple's backed Blu-Ray
  • Reply 14 of 39
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    the logic is there for a new ipod to be released at WWDC...

the press would have to report about leopard at the same time.

good free advertising for the new ipod and OS!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I hope not HD DVD. I think Blu-Ray will win, why would anyone suport HD DVD, I don't get it.

HD-DVD: 15GB

Blu-Ray: 25GB

no contest, and besides, Apple's backed Blu-Ray

Believe it or not, HD-DVD is higher quality. The specs say otherwise, but I saw it with my own eyes at fry's. The rep from fry's put the blu-ray and hd-dvd systems on the same plasma display, the blu-ray was much more pixelated.

Anyways, blu-ray will probably win over hd-dvd because stores are basically being told to represent blu-ray only. (best buy is a good example). This was all discussed in the hd-dvd vs. blu-ray discussion.

But the real question isn't who's gonna win: blu-ray vs. hd-dvd.... the real question is: who's gonna win between blu-ray and DVD. I'll stick with DVD.

check this out:

Best Buy buying experience
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Believe it or not, HD-DVD is higher quality. The specs say otherwise, but I saw it with my own eyes at fry's. The rep from fry's put the blu-ray and hd-dvd systems on the same plasma display, the blu-ray was much more pixelated.

The thing is, that's not a good A-B test. The HD-DVD players for the first round were suspect (word is, very clunky operation), and the authoring of some of the first Blu-Ray discs are suspect. I don't think either are a reflection of the format itself. The DVD format had a shake-down period too so this isn't a surprise. I'd give it a few months.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    We'll just have to wait and see. I really don't want to have to carry around cartridges of discs (iE blu-ray). I'll stick to DVD as long as I possibly can. It serves me just fine.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

We'll just have to wait and see. I really don't want to have to carry around cartridges of discs (iE blu-ray)

Those cartridges are are obsolete. I'm surprised anyone bothered to remember them. The Pioneer Blu-Ray writer drive doesn't use them.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This guys deserves a raise...

This ain't trading places this is real f*ckin life!

You need to diversify your bonds ni**a!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    WELCOME TO THE 2006 WWDC

Steve: (Clap, Clap, Clap) Thank you. Thank you. As you have all seen, our earnings exceeded the analysts predictions... Again.. And you all saw the super OS that does everything faster and better than before. Also many of you saw our Video ipod display outside. That is available for order today. I also think that our new movie rental section on ITMS will be a great success. Here you can rent movies for only 1.99 and are able to view them as many times as you want in a 30 day period before they expire. Also as you can see, the Video ipod can connect to any TV with a SVHS or DV connector for full screen HD experience!

In light of the recent sudden death of Ballemer, (Or however it's spelled, since I don't allocate much brain space on his behalf.) I would like to pause for a NANO second in respect. There. Speaking of Nanos, in another week, we will be releasing the new 12 gig WIFI nano. This also plays videos. And Games are also available on the ipod as well. (Much applause from the developers.)

And before I forget.... Shaw WU is locked in the janitor's closet... before we leave, make sure I give this key to someone willing to let him out. Thank you. Thank you.

And one more thing.... be sure to pick up your free iphone on the way out.

That day: Stock does the traditional plummet of 6.00 per share. And Analysts assure us that THIS TIME Apple is for sure out of new ideas.

p.s. Did anyone get the key from Steve and let Shaw Wu out?