Parallels virtualization software coming to Apple stores

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer and several other retail store operators will soon carry Parallels' virtualization software, which allows Intel Mac users to run both the Windows and Mac OS X operating systems simultaneously.

Parallels on Tuesday said it has entered into an agreement with Nova Development to bring its Parallels Desktop software to thousands of retail stores nationwide by next month.

In addition to Apple's retail stores, Parallels Desktop for Mac will be available at CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot, Fry's Electronics, Amazon.com, and numerous other software outlets.

Until now, Parallels Desktop for Mac had only been available for purchase online for the suggested retail price of $79.95.

"This retail launch helps to further eliminate the barrier that previously kept Mac and Windows from effectively working together, side by side, simultaneously, on one computer," said Benjamin Rudolph, marketing manager of Parallels.

Parallels Desktop is similar to Apple's Boot Camp software, but does not require the user to shut down Mac OS X in order to run Windows or vise versa. It also runs other operating systems such as Linux.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think Apple needs to buy Parallels to stop Microsoft buying it and doing what they did to Virtual PC (taking forever to update).
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Parallels has been in my Apple Store since Saturday
  • Reply 3 of 41
    jimhilljimhill Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Parallels Desktop is similar to Apple's Boot Camp software, but does not require the user to shut down Mac OS X in order to run Windows or vise versa.

In today's literacy-from-Latin lesson, we discuss the term "vice versa", which literally means "turned position" or idiomatically, "with the positions reversed." It has nothing to do with a "vise", or clamp.

As long as we're discussing phrases derived from "vertere", it's also worth mentioning that when discussing opposition, the word is "versus", not "verses". The latter is more than one lyric or poetic block.

Just doing my part to bring about that rebirth of literacy the Internet gushers promised us.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimhill

In today's literacy-from-Latin lesson, we discuss the term "vice versa", which literally means "turned position" or idiomatically, "with the positions reversed." It has nothing to do with a "vise", or clamp.

It's called a typo.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    What's the point of selling Parallels in store withpout selling boxed copies of XP? Apple said they wouldn't sell or support Windows directly, so now you buy your Mac and a copy of Parallels at the Apple Store and then have to drive to CompUSA to buy Windows?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

It's called a typo.

No, it's a misspelling. Big difference.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

As long as we're discussing phrases derived from "vertere", it's also worth mentioning that when discussing opposition, the word is "versus", not "verses". The latter is more than one lyric or poetic block.

Just doing my part to bring about that rebirth of literacy the Internet gushers promised us.

Good luck with taht.

(Yes, I know it's misspelled... it's a joke!)
  • Reply 8 of 41
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    Mispelled or typo, does it really matter? People make mistakes!

Well it would be nice if this came to the UK. I would hope that some stores do a sweet deal with this and a copy of Win XP. Well heres hoping...
  • Reply 9 of 41
    The more I read about Apple promoting and recommending Parallels, the less I'm inclined to believe that Leopard will have virtualization built-in or vice verses.

Personally I would love to see Apple turn the heat up on both Microsoft and DELL.

If I were Steve, I would start selling a bare-bones Mac mini and Mac Book with Windows pre-installed. Sell more computers and lower your costs. This could also take a nice chunk out of DELL's marketshare and get Apple's foot into a lot of businesses. Many of these computers would ship with Windows but some users would eventually decide to try Mac OS X. When you compare Windows verses Mac OS X it's no competition. Mac OS X wins hands down.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Mozzarella

The more I read about Apple promoting and recommending Parallels, the less I'm inclined to believe that Leopard will have virtualization built-in or vice verses.

no doubt, there's no way Apple is including virtualization now. And I for one am glad.

That would be like Apple stores selling Konfabulator.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

In today's "what makes culture interesting lesson", we look at how misspelling, mispronouncing, misusing, and even making up words can make language much more rich and expressive. Language is a living, evolving entity. I mean, if you're taking Latin to be the rulebook for today's language, then what did they use to define their rulebook at the time?

Not saying that greater literacy isn't a good thing, but culture will develop as it will, and it shouldn't necessarily be prevented from happening. In fact, try to force culture/language down people's throats, and they'll intentionally fight it (see street slang and regional dialects).

And now back to the originally scheduled discussion...
  • Reply 12 of 41
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Personally I would love to see Apple turn the heat up on both Microsoft and DELL.

Microsoft and Dell have plenty heat already. Which company would you rather be? Better yet, where would you rather place your retirement money?

Quote:

If I were Steve, I would start selling a bare-bones Mac mini and Mac Book with Windows pre-installed. ...

And now we know why you are not Steve.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

In today's "what makes culture interesting lesson", we look at how misspelling, mispronouncing, misusing, and even making up words can make language much more rich and expressive. Language is a living, evolving entity. I mean, if you're taking Latin to be the rulebook for today's language, then what did they use to define their rulebook at the time?

Not saying that greater literacy isn't a good thing, but culture will develop as it will, and it shouldn't necessarily be prevented from happening. In fact, try to force culture/language down people's throats, and they'll intentionally fight it (see street slang and regional dialects).

And now back to the originally scheduled discussion...

Ar yoo sayin that speling iz nott importent becuz thuh langwij iz evolving?

Edit: Agread, hiz poste wuz uh bit nit piky, but u cant say that speling eros ar simplee sines of culcheruhl diveluhpment
  • Reply 14 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

No, it's a misspelling. Big difference.

You're assuming Kasper didn't know how to spell the word right. It is much more likely, however, that he merely suffered a Freudian slip.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Edit: Agread, hiz poste wuz uh bit nit piky, but u cant say that speling eros ar simplee sines of culcheruhl diveluhpment

fa shizzle!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

I'll spare everyone another hip-hop/street slang joke here...

Agreed that not all spelling mistakes are "evolution". However, mistakes/happy accidents which are funny and/or seem to express a concept better will likely stick and become part of language in the long run (or at least, a regional dialect in the short term).

For example, some friends and I have been using the word "soonly" a lot because it's shorter and sounds better than "sometime soon". I heard some politician who had poor public speaking skills use it in a press conference and laughed at first, but then it stuck. Go figure...
  • Reply 17 of 41
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

For example, my some friends and I have been using the word "soonly"...

Isn't that Woody Allen's wife-daughter? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

In today's "you're a pompous prick" vocab lesson:

snob (noun): n.

One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect.

condescend

To deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner.

Instead of the highfalutin, pompous, and pseudo-intellectual self-aggrandizement of breaking down the latin etymology of the word "vice", you could have simply acknowleded that the wrong word was used and kept on reading rather than giving all of us a latin lesson. Or if you HAD to comment with a post, a simple, "dude, you used the wrong word" would have sufficed. To follow my own advise, I could have just called you a pompous prick and called it a day.

Yes, I purposely mispelled "advice" and "misspelled" just to piss you off. Looking forward to seeing what interesting grammar lessons you can dig up from wikipedia (or whatever online souce you got your info) to put me in my place. That's literacy for you, google the words "vice versa" and then impress everyone with your wondrous intellectual prowess.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vice+versa

PS: It is hot and I am cranky, please accept my apologies in advance.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    my how this thread has gone off course.

Hey, did anyone hear that Apple stores are going to start selling Parallels?!?!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

my how this thread has gone off course.

Hey, did anyone hear that Apple stores are going to start selling Parallels?!?!

Yeah, I did hear that somewhere

Does this put a damper on the rumors of windows virtualization built into Leopard?

Apple files virtualization patent:

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph.../list_news/C15