cleaning my glossy screen

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After having my new MBP at work for the last few days, the screen has gotten quite smudged in places (I blame people pointing out their house on Google Earth).. what should I/can I use to clean the glossy screen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Windex. Spray into a paper towel, not directly onto your screen.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Ummmm, never use windex on a computer screen. It can actually damage some types of screens because it's too strong. Lens cleaner could be ok, but frankly I've simply wet a soft cloth with water and then works fine unless you got some nasty goop on your screen.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Ummmm, never use windex on a computer screen. It can actually damage some types of screens because it's too strong. Lens cleaner could be ok, but frankly I've simply wet a soft cloth with water and then works fine unless you got some nasty goop on your screen.

Wow, I never knew Windex had ammonia in it. According to their website,

Quote:

Windex.com

Does Windex® contain ammonia?

All Windex® Glass Cleaners contain ammonia except Windex® Vinegar, Windex Sparkling Orange and Windex® Outdoor.

Anyway, it's anti-glare coatings that are affected by ammonia, so it's fine for glossy screens. (And from experience, it's fine on Apple Studio Displays, as well).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    The characteristic odor never gave it away?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Why bother with chemicals if you have access to water?

Just apply some hot water to a soft cloth of some kind, squeeze it well and then carefully rinse the screen with that, and after that a dry cloth. It works fine.

My MB had a acquired a horrible 'scratch' that I thought came from contact with the space bar during transport, but it was luckily only smudge that came of by the abovementioned method.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

Because if the water is on the hard side, it will leave overtime traces. I am not sure if you will be able to get rid of those easily.

Unless you talk about pure water.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Token

Just apply some hot water to a soft cloth of some kind, squeeze it well and then carefully rinse the screen with that, and after that a dry cloth. It works fine.

My MB had a acquired a horrible 'scratch' that I thought came from contact with the space bar during transport, but it was luckily only smudge that came of by the abovementioned method.

Water won't always get rid of fingerprints, which is his problem.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I use iKlear Apple Polish, it works a treat on the MacBook glossy screen. I had the same problem with people touching the screen (you should NEVER touch screens). Anyway a couple of blasts of iKlear and some elbow grease got the screen back to perfect.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Windex. Spray into a paper towel, not directly onto your screen.

WHAO WHAO WHAO STOP RIGHTG THERE! Do not tell me you use a PAPER TOWEL to clean a screen? Thats the biggest mistake you could make, paper towels are made from wood, yes chopped up wood, and so you get small fragments in the towel (hard sharp pieces) which will scratch the surface of the screen scaring your screen for life.

For best cleaning results use a soft, clean COTTON cloth or a MIRCOFIBRE cloth (this is what i use very cheap to get hold of and also good for use when dry). The best cleaning fluids to use would be either non-solvent based window cleaning solutions or make up a sink of warm water and washing up liquid to soak the towel in, but remember to ringe out the towel throughly so the towel is slightly damp. And so you are ready to clean your screen.