Analyst sees WWDC as Mac only event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

If this guy was right... people should only just be starting to get their MacBooks this month. He predicted July.

Apple said that they would be available at the beginning of the school buying season, which starts late June or so. As did Wu and the rest of the analysts who were there at the conference call. I heard that myself.

They can report on what they are told, and what seems logical. Their info isn't meant for rumors sites where people who know othing about all of this, make guesses, which sometimes are correct, but mostly not.

It's like the weather. 80% of the time they get it right, but people like to remember the 20% when they get it wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's like the weather. 80% of the time they get it right, but people like to remember the 20% when they get it wrong.

You must have really good meteorologists where you live. I was thinking the exact opposite!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Apple said that they would be available at the beginning of the school buying season, which starts late June or so. As did Wu and the rest of the analysts who were there at the conference call. I heard that myself.

They can report on what they are told, and what seems logical. Their info isn't meant for rumors sites where people who know othing about all of this, make guesses, which sometimes are correct, but mostly not.

I think it would be a good exercise to go through their predictions and see how accurate they were. I wonder if the $100 price targets all the analysts made a few months ago would become a noose of shame.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

That may be true but WWDC was supposed to be a developer's conference, as in software developer. I don't think it makes sense to cover much for iPods because there's no licenced way to add software to the standard iPod OS.

I agree that it's a developers conference. If iPods are there, developers should be able to program on them (just like apps for mobile phones, or dashboard).

However, Apple knows lots of attention goes to the show and they want the excitement, so they will use that if they feel like it.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

The rumor is the movie service will be rental. I wonder if it will be successful?

I thought downloads would replace DVD, but it seems like online is only going to be for renting with HD DVD still there for owning. At least it would eliminate the major pain of returning rental movies to the video store.

People don't have the hard disks to make downloads a replacement to purchase (yet). Personally I think rental is a great idea, I only buy movies I _really_ like. I wonder how Apple can handle the downloads though - would they use a p2p option to help that?

Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Believe it or not, HD-DVD is higher quality. The specs say otherwise, but I saw it with my own eyes at fry's. The rep from fry's put the blu-ray and hd-dvd systems on the same plasma display, the blu-ray was much more pixelated.

Both use MPEG4-AVC (h264), VC1, and MPEG2 - so it all comes down to the encoder used to do the compression. As you no doubt know, Apple uses MPEG4-AVC for all the Quicktime HD clips.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

Their info isn't meant for rumors sites where people who know othing about all of this, make guesses, which sometimes are correct, but mostly not.

Yeah I wish AppleInsider would keep Wu's info out of their main page, since it's not meant for rumor sites.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

You must have really good meteorologists where you live. I was thinking the exact opposite!

No, those are the actual numbers. It's likely somewhat higher these days.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think it would be a good exercise to go through their predictions and see how accurate they were. I wonder if the $100 price targets all the analysts made a few months ago would become a noose of shame.

Don't forget that quite a few of us were thinking $100 as well. Other events overtook the market that overshadowed Apple's own situation, otherwise I believe that we would still be sitting at around $70, or even a bit higher.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Yeah I wish AppleInsider would keep Wu's info out of their main page, since it's not meant for rumor sites.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, but I agree with the comment.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I'm not even going to read the 30 posts and jump straight to saying: UTTER BOLLOCKS. Mr Wu has been hitting the spliffs a bit too hard lately. Get fracked.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    "While Wu admitted that "there is a first time for everything," he told clients to "keep in mind WWDC is a Mac event and has not been used in the past for major iPod announcements."

Keep in mind dumbass that WWDC is a Developer's Conference primarily. Hardware announcements are the icing on the cake.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by fuyutsuki

Wu ... Wu ... Woo .. Whoo! ... he's a ghost! AppleInsider is haunted!

Being half-Chinese in origin I find playing on his name is Racist. But he talks the most utter rubbish so go for it
  • Reply 33 of 39
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by emig647

Believe it or not, HD-DVD is higher quality. The specs say otherwise, but I saw it with my own eyes at fry's. The rep from fry's put the blu-ray and hd-dvd systems on the same plasma display, the blu-ray was much more pixelated.

You'd have to have the exact same movie released by the studios and have both to be 1920x1080p in resolution to make such comparisons, I'd say...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

Personally I think rental is a great idea, I only buy movies I _really_ like.

I also only buy movies I really like. I would love to buy more, but am just too fussy. That is why the opportunity to buy from a huge online catalog would be great, if they would only offer it.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

the logic is there for a new ipod to be released at WWDC...

the press would have to report about leopard at the same time.

good free advertising for the new ipod and OS!

Actually its faulty logic. Announcing a new iPod at a developer's conference would be just a big advertising/marketing screw up. What press is at the WWDC? Computer press, mostly mac press. That's it. There's no audio/video press. No music press. So you'd be introducing a new iPod to a group that, while they might find it interesting, won't report it the way the music press would, which is kind of important, I think, because, well, its a music/video device, NOT a computing device.

And how hard is it for Apple to hold a press event. They do it all the time, and they can actually get the reporters they want to show up to show up.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

"While Wu admitted that "there is a first time for everything," he told clients to "keep in mind WWDC is a Mac event and has not been used in the past for major iPod announcements."

Keep in mind dumbass that WWDC is a Developer's Conference primarily. Hardware announcements are the icing on the cake.

Umm, keep in mind, dumbass, that developers develop for the hardware. The hardware is a Mac. Therefore, the conference can easily be considered a mac event. His point is that its not an iPod showcase, an iTMS convention, or simeplace to expect the new Apple phone, Apple PDA, Apple Tivo, Apple shoes, Apple socks, or anything else to that point, so don't be expecting some major iPod announcements at the event. Which is, in fact, what he did say.

Hardware announcements at WWDC aren't icing so much as just some logical sense. Developers are a major purchaser of pro machines. And they also need to know what features/hardware apple is planning. Its also why they show off the OS at the event. They need to know what features its going to have as much as the public (which, of course, just makes it odd that they haven't shown it off earlier, if you're expecting a quick release, because it'll take developers time to upgrade their software to support all those nifty new features apple puts in there).
  • Reply 37 of 39
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

You'd have to have the exact same movie released by the studios and have both to be 1920x1080p in resolution to make such comparisons, I'd say...

Yes, that's BS. If anything, with a true 1080p output vs the 1080i output of HD DVD the quality would be better.

If it WAS more pixelated, then ther were other reasons for it.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

No, those are the actual numbers. It's likely somewhat higher these days.

Whaaat!!?? What are you smokin'?

On second thought this is misleading... You didn't mention a lead time. For example for predictions in the morning for the afternoon, maybe you are correct. But 3 day or 5 day forecasts...Suree...
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Whaaat!!?? What are you smokin'?

On second thought this is misleading... You didn't mention a lead time. For example for predictions in the morning for the afternoon, maybe you are correct. But 3 day or 5 day forecasts...Suree...

I'm not going to get into a long discussion of weather forcasting. But accuracy obviously gets worse the longer the forcast is out in the future. But if you go read some actual information about it, you will see that it is much more accurate than you think it is.

Four days is the given limit on accuracy. Within that, it is pretty accurate. That doesn't mean it will be exact, just accurate. If they say it will rain, it likely will. How much, and when during the day gets difficult as you go longer in your timescale.

The first day, it might be 90%, the second might be 85%, the third might be 75%, and the forth might be somewhere around 65%