macbook turning itself off

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my macbook keeps turning itself off. first of all it only did it once a day, now its more than 5.

i have noticed that it has only happed since i started running 10.4.7. i dont know if it coincidence, or if it is linked to the update. i have tried running it without the battery, and it still happens, so it cant be that.

do you guys have any ideas on what it could be. if it continues after the next firmwire update, then i will be taking it back and demanding a new one.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    UPDATE:

ive put a video on YouTube.

click on the link to watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8A1SzUKCko
  • Reply 2 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Did you cut the bit where you throw it out the window? That would seriously piss me right off.

Looks to me like you've got a hardware fault. I don't think anything system related would cause an immediate shutdown unless there was a firmware update maybe or something affecting the tenperature control. One way to check is to reinstall OS X from your system disc. I would do that before taking it for repair.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You already reset the power management unit, right? I thought I saw the front light flashing that.

To reset the PMU on a MacBook:

MacBook, MacBook Pro

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.

Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.

Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.

Press the Power button to restart the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    i've re-instaled 10.4.7, coz i had the one with the missing files, and reset the power management thingy, and so far so good, no random shutdowns

thanks for all the pointers

ill let you know how it all goes

cheers
  • Reply 5 of 66
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    I?m glad to hear someone else is reporting this. I?m having the same problem. It started about a week ago; I?ve had the Macbook for a month. The first two times it happened I was in denial about it and refused to admit there was a problem, but it has been happening more and more lately and I am not amused!

The only culprit I could imagine was bad memory (I upgraded to 2gig two days after I got it), but that was weeks ago and there is no pattern to the shut downs that one could attribute to memory use. Long ago I had a memory chip that went bad on my desktop (after years of use) but the problem only occurred when I launched one too many applications and effectively called on the available memory (chip).

There is no such discernable pattern with the Macbook. It shuts off on its own with or without applications open and sometimes even shuts down when it is in the middle of restarting from a prior shutdown. Basically, I never know when or if it will stay on or for how long.

Also, I can no longer open activity monitor; the application refuses to launch.

How widespread is this problem? Can this be fixed with a firmware update? I'll try the suggestions above.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    I had an old (not that old actually) Dell laptop with a P-4m (first version of the "mobile" chip with speed step) that did the random shutdown thing for a few months before I put it out of my misery. It was related to the processors internal thermal protection. 190 degrees F and the thing shut itself down. Of course, both fans were broken and the heatsink wasn't fully intact anymore...

Long story short, don't throw laptops. Period. Also, check the temperature of the processor and make sure it isn't getting too hot. Those chips are set to bail before they get too hot (and in reality, it is usually after they get too hot, as I found out).
  • Reply 7 of 66
    I followed the tips above and the 'turning itself off' problem is still happening!
  • Reply 8 of 66
    just a quick update

after i re-installed 10.4.7 and reset the pmu it has only turned itself off 3 times,

this is better, but it still shudnt happen
  • Reply 9 of 66
    In the discussions on the Apple support site there are several people including myself with this problem. They are being told it's the logic board. I have always had Pro series notebooks until now but remember my wife's logic board problems with her G3 iBook and I am very upset. This sucks. I have lost a ton of work this week. Oh, and I went back to 10.4.6 because from what I have seen 10.4.7 bites.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

In the discussions on the Apple support site there are several people including myself with this problem. They are being told it's the logic board. I have always had Pro series notebooks until now but remember my wife's logic board problems with her G3 iBook and I am very upset. This sucks. I have lost a ton of work this week. Oh, and I went back to 10.4.6 because from what I have seen 10.4.7 bites.

I hope it's not a logic board thing again. I had a logic board failure on an ibook G3 too and shortly afterwards I got rid of it. I got it replaced under Apple's extended repair program because it was in a bad batch but I'd heard that some people's logic boards had to be replaced multiple times and I wasn't having it.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    I would say it's either temperature (running too hot) I've heard some say that comps are doing randow shutdowns and it has been founded that for some it is because the MB or MBP is overheating OR Logic board

Either way as you said, it shouldn't be happening. TAKE IT BACK
  • Reply 12 of 66
    it wasnt heat. i think it may be the logic board, as if i reset the PMU it stops it for a while, but then it starts again a few days later.

to tell the truth i dont realy get the heat issue, as it normally operates at about 60-70 degrees C, like it always has
  • Reply 13 of 66
    It just happened again. Shut down without warning or apparent cause.

I tried twice to restart and it shut itself off again within two seconds. I waited a minute and the third time it started up. This is really annoying. I?m traveling right now and can?t do without my computer, but when I get back home I?m going to call it in and probably take it back to an apple store. This is probably the 7th or 8th time this Macbook as shut itself off.

This is my 6th Apple computer and my 5th Mac. Obviously, I am a loyal customer, but this is wholly unacceptable!
  • Reply 14 of 66
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    have you talked to Apple support yet about this issue?

You should if you haven't.

Good luck!
  • Reply 15 of 66
    My box came today to send my MacBook to Apple for repair for this issue. This problem is very wide spread and I fear it will be the iBook logic board all over again. Of course I can't send mine out since I am in LA this week and the box is in NY!!! As of right now it powered off 3 times this morning but has been on all day. I have not shut the lid which I think that when it goes to sleep causes a lot of the problem.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    do you rekon we should start a thread on how to over come these isues?

as i have found a few ways to over come it slightly

such as:

hold the power button longer after it shuts itself off

reset the pmu every so often
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by mbaynham

do you rekon we should start a thread on how to over come these isues?

as i have found a few ways to over come it slightly

Logic boards behave oddly when they are broken or in the process of breaking. There's not really a cure. When my logic board was going, I had the notion that by plugging my laptop into an external display it fixed the issue because it seemed to work for a few hours. Then it broke again and I'd find another cure. Eventually, it just stopped working such that nothing made any difference.

The solution is to get it replaced under warranty and for Apple to stop using such crappy boards. I don't really hear of other laptop manufacturers having logic board failures much, even Dell, and I presume they are using cheaper components.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Dude, why are you still talking about this and trying little solutions for "making it happen less often". This should not be happening, period! Take it back. They will give you a new one/replace whatever is screwy. You have to still be in warranty.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Three shut downs today. I am not amsued!
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

Dude, why are you still talking about this and trying little solutions for "making it happen less often". This should not be happening, period! Take it back. They will give you a new one/replace whatever is screwy. You have to still be in warranty.

alrite calm down!!

but seriously, it does happen less often now