The 20GB Windows iPods have arrived

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple Store at Saddle Creek called today, Meine Frau and I went there. Apparently, you have to be on their call list to pick one up right now. The second we asked for one, the sales persons' face grew long as he asked us if we were on this fantabulous list. We said yes. He was happy again, and scurried back into the mysterious back room.

It is now sitting next to me, busily downloading everything off of my wife's computer.

It's taking forever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    can you format the Windows iPod to work with a Mac? Can you do viseversa? i mean as long as you get the software and conversion firewire pins when necessary
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]can you format the Windows iPod to work with a Mac? Can you do viseversa? i mean as long as you get the software and conversion firewire pins when necessary<hr></blockquote>

It might be possible, but I dare not reformat her iPod if I wish to live another day.

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: DoctorGonzo ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I wonder why it was taking a long time to transfer? FireWire is the same speed whether it's transferring data on a PC or a Mac. On the other hand, my FireLite HD transfers data a bit quicker on my PC than it does on my Mac, but I assume that it because my PC has a faster HD and processor. What are conversion FireWire pins? My PC has a 6 pin powered FireWire port.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]I wonder why it was taking a long time to transfer? FireWire is the same speed whether it's transferring data on a PC or a Mac. On the other hand, my FireLite HD transfers data a bit quicker on my PC than it does on my Mac, but I assume that it because my PC has a faster HD and processor.<hr></blockquote>

It might have to do with the fact that MusicMatch is a buggy POS that is crash-prone and incapable of comparing file sizes correctly.

My wife attempted to put 10GB of MP3s on the 18.5 (formatted) iPod.

Music Match refused, saying there wasn't enough space. It then offered to sync the maximum number of songs that would fit. Hitting "Yes" crashed the app (for the 50th time).

She had to move files over one folder at a time.

And it simply crawled. Took most of the evening.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Patchouli, if you look at a typical Sony laptop or whatnot, Sony's implementation of IE1384 (Apple = FireWire, Sony = iLink) is different. Most of the time its a miniscule UNPOWERED port that is used to transfer video from their videocams to their laptops for video editing.

So, while data transfer is totally standardized under the IE1384 protocol, you may need a 'small' to 'big' (standard Apple Firewire port) adapter. For example, if you connect a Sony (or other) videocam to an Apple firwire port, you'll have one side really small and the other big, going into the 'big' Apple port.

My Lacie Pocketdrive Firewire needs a 'big' port to 'small' iLink port... AND HAS TO BE EXTERNALLY POWERED because the Sony unit provides no power to the HD. While on my iBook all is done through the Firwire port we know and love.

Does this make any sense... im a bit, umm, tipsy... ah hell... im drunk, lets just say the things as they are dammit
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hmm, tipsy enough to mistake the 8 key for the 9 key? It's IEEE 1394, and it's a standard (not one or even two protocols...IEEE 1394 can use/deliver many protocols) :cool:
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thanks Zo, even though you were a bit tipsy - I got what you were saying.

Well, I am surprised at Sony for using that kind of FireWire port. My Dell (X200) notebook has a 6 pin powered FireWire port and my FireLite HD flies when connected. No need for external power or any other adapters. My sister's PC has 3 powered FireWire ports as well.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a good FireWire HD, I highly recommend the SmartDisk FireLite series. I have two 40GB models for my Mac and my PC and they are both great. Totally plug and play on both X and XP and have worked flawlessly (and VERY fast) since I got them. They are affordable, made well and are highly portable too.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Hmm, tipsy enough to mistake the 8 key for the 9 key? It's IEEE 1394, and it's a standard (not one or even two protocols...IEEE 1394 can use/deliver many protocols) :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

ah hell... ten more, ten less
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well, im glad im not the only one having problems with their pc ipod. If i go running with it, the damn thing crashes all the time. Also, musicmatch has annoying default modes. I have deleted entire folders by accident because of how it highlights the playlists. And playlist management in musicmatch is screwy.

But, i still love my ipod--my first and hopefully not my last piece of apple hardware.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: chweave1 ]</p>