Apple's Mac sales rise 12 percent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer, which released its third quarter results on Wednesday, said sales of its Mac computer line rose 12 percent, fueled primarily by the company's new Intel-based product lines.

During the three month period ended June, Apple shipped 1,327,000 Macs and 8,111,000 iPods, representing 12 percent growth in Macs and 32 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

The results compare to 1,182,000 Macs and 6,155,000 iPods which the company shipped during its third fiscal quarter of 2005.

"We're thrilled with the growth of our Mac business, and especially that over 75 percent of the Macs sold during the quarter used Intel processors. This is the smoothest and most successful transition that any of us have ever experienced," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

Apple's Mac sales were also up sequentially, showing 19 percent growth in both units and revenues from the company's previous fiscal quarter. During the same period, iPod unit sales slowed by 5 percent, accounting for a 13 percent decline in revenues from the previous quarter.

The company's fiscal third-quarter profit of $472 million, or 54 cents a share, represents an increase of 47.5 percent from the $320 million, or 37 cents a share, a year ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    How does this compare to the rest of the industry?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Exactly. It would be nice to see some actual journalism from Apple Insider, just once every so often.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I agree with you guys. I visit AppleInsider.com daily because I want information on Apple. I would be thrilled to get more in-depth reports. What else am I going to do while I'm at work?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 231member
    Last I checked, Apple doesn't compare to the rest of the industry. It owns the MP3 player market and it makes the best hardware and software out there. Can't we just be happy they pulled off another great quarter?
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Over 9 Billion in Cash on hand!!! Where will they use this or who will they buy? Abobe's Market Cap as of today is 16,454.48. Buy them already.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zeus423

Can't we just be happy they pulled off another great quarter?

This is not a thread discussing Apple's results. It is a thread with the title "Apple's Mac sales rise 12 percent". And last I checked, Apple is a computer manufacturer and their market share matters to many people.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Thats a pretty nice growth actually... Tech industry or not.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    I agree with you on "This is not a thread discussing Apple's results. It is a thread with the title "Apple's Mac sales rise 12 percent". And last I checked, Apple is a computer manufacturer and their market share matters to many people." -

Last I checked there is something called freedom of speech.

I believe that mac sales would rise if they buy one of the biggest software companies that are holding back future growth because products are not Universal.

By the way; Apple's Market Cap today is 46,012.48. This does not include after hours trading.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muchicuchi

Last I checked there is something called freedom of speech.

Last I checked, this wasn't a public place, and therefore, throwing "freedom of speech" into the conversation makes no sense because it is simply not effective.

Quote:

I believe that mac sales would rise if they buy one of the biggest software companies that are holding back future growth because products are not Universal.

And then magically pull Universal Binaries out a hat? You'd still need months of man-hours creating them.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Over 9 Billion in Cash on hand!!! Where will they use this or who will they buy? Abobe's Market Cap as of today is 16,454.48. Buy them already.

That's a pretty common figure for Apple actually. Even in their leanest years Apple has always sat on several billion in the bank.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    That was a great quarter for Apple!

In my view, the introduction of the MacBook during the quarter really helped to drive Macintosh sales, especially notebooks. The slow desktop sales can be attributed to the G5 PowerMacs. There will be a dramatic increase in Macintosh desktop sales following the introduction of the Intel based PowerMac replacement.

I expect to see increasing Macintosh sales during the upcoming holiday shopping season.

Apple's Market Share is on an upward swing. Keep up the good work Steve.

8)
  • Reply 12 of 48
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

That's a pretty common figure for Apple actually. Even in their leanest years Apple has always sat on several billion in the bank.

Had to break out of my self imposed exile (congratulations BTW)... Only because you have no idea WHAT you're talking about... Pretty 'common' figure?!?! Leanest of years and 9B in the bank?!?!!??!

'a COUPLE of billion or less' (lean years) doesn't come close to TEN billion...

And I quote Steve Jobs circa 2004:

Quote:

Today is a historic day of sorts for our company. When I arrived back at Apple in mid-1997, the company was burdened with $1 billion of debt. Through everyone?s hard work we turned Apple around, paid off the majority of our debt and began to amass a war chest of cash in the bank which has grown to about $4.8 billion! But there was still $300 million of remaining debt, which we decided to hold to maturity. Today we used $300 million of our cash to pay off this remaining debt. Apple is now a debt-free company ???ë ? for the first time in over a decade! It sure feels good.

Carry on.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It does seem as though the doubts about the transitions in any consumers minds is about over. I consider the 19% Mac growth over last quarter to be more indicative of this than the 12% growth from last years quarter.

Now we just have to see what was meant by the pro machines being available by the end of the year.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    nmcphersnmcphers Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Had to break out of my self imposed exile (congratulations BTW)... Only because you have no idea WHAT you're talking about... Pretty 'common' figure?!?! Leanest of years and 9B in the bank?!?!!??!

'a COUPLE of billion or less' (lean years) doesn't come close to TEN billion...

And I quote Steve Jobs circa 2004:

Carry on.

I don't think he meant 9 billion exactly. But before jobs returned and Apple was losing a lot of money, I think they had around 4 billion in the bank.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nmcphers

I don't think he meant 9 billion exactly. But before jobs returned and Apple was losing a lot of money, I think they had around 4 billion in the bank.

Yes, they had a good amount in the bank, which was why they were in no great danger financially.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes, they had a good amount in the bank, which was why they were in no great danger financially.

Or 'Doomed' as the less savvy pundits described having billions in the bank.

Are Apple more Doomed now ?

• Reply 17 of 48
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Exactly. It would be nice to see some actual journalism from Apple Insider, just once every so often.

Perhaps you could post a link to Gartner's or IDC's figures for this years Q2 worldwide PC sales?
  • Reply 19 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Gene Clean

Hi Gene, Apple's market share for laptops in the USA has gone up from 6% to 12%. First time I've seen any market share figure exceed 10% !!

Edit: I am not sure if the 12% is 12% of all portables sold in the USA in April-June (more likely) or (less likely) 12% of all portables being used in the USA during April-June.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Gene Clean

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piot

Perhaps you could post a link to Gartner's or IDC's figures for this years Q2 worldwide PC sales?

For the quarter April-May-June 2006 Apple Mac shipments have been quite excellent to hit 12% growth compared to April-May-June 2005. Shipments hit 19% growth compared to Jan-Feb-March 2006.

If Apple continues this trend across 2006, they would have shown significantly more growth compared to PC shipments which are expected to grow in 2006 at 10%-11%

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125039,00.asp

"Shipments of PCs worldwide will grow at a slower pace in 2006 than in 2005, partly because the replacement cycle for desktop PCs has hit a peak, market researcher Gartner said last week.

\t

PC shipments in 2006 are expected to reach 234.5 million units, up 10.7 percent compared with 2005. However, PC shipments grew 15.5 percent in 2005, compared with 2004.

Desktop PC shipments are projected to grow just 1.9 percent this year overall, declining 8.6 percent in mature markets while increasing 19.5 percent in emerging markets, according to Gartner. Mature markets include the U.S. and Western Europe.

Mobile PC shipments are expected to grow 31.4 percent worldwide this year.

Meanwhile, IDC separately has similar expectations. IDC expects worldwide PC shipments to grow 10.5 percent this year over 2005, helped in large part by strong sales in Asia-Pacific with 13.2 percent growth in shipments and in emerging markets, such as Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, with 18.5 percent growth, analyst David Daoud says.

Mature markets will experience more moderate growth, with Western Europe seeing a 9.7 percent increase in shipments, the U.S. a 6.8 percent increase, and Japan remaining essentially flat this year compared with last year."

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,3...9259805,00.htm

"Worldwide PC shipment growth is expected to be 10.5 percent, down slightly from expectations of 10.6 percent outlined by IDC in November. This is coming off stronger-than-expected growth of 15.9 percent in 2005. The slowdown will be more pronounced in the US, as overall growth slows from 9.6 percent in 2005 to 6.8 percent in 2006, the research firm said on Monday."