MBP Logic Board Replacement for Whine "official"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey folks,

Just got off the phone 1-800-275-2273...and I am *elated*.

After running down my nit-picky list of issues (airport signal strength, seemingly short battery life) I finally came to my biggest issue - the dread CPU whine/hiss (week 20, 2.0Ghz model).

I only had to say a couple of sentences and he instantly said, "Yes, we have a fix for that. Let me put you on hold for a moment, then we'll arrange for you to send your MBP in for a logic board replacement for that issue."

Sweet!

I encourage anyone with the whine/hiss to call Apple and initiate a repair.

I'll report back in this thread what, if any, difference the LB replacement makes.

In closing, I'm somewhat surprised that the Apple rep. used such specific language and acknowledged the hiss/whine as an issue worthy of repair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    They did the same for my old 15" MBP a couple months ago, didn't fix it though .
  • Reply 2 of 9
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    if I remember correctly (from the apple.com/support forums) this Logic Board is new as of 6/20/06.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Called Apple support yesterday before Noon. Came home this morning & found the DHL packing box at my front door. DHL is due anytime for pickup to overnight MBP to Texas. Nice, quick turn around!

Problem code on back of shipping label is "604 - Noise/Hum"

got my fingers crossed that the LB replacement cures the "hum."

I'll post again once I get the MBP back in my hands.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    looks like there is hope in the world.

Link to article about new LB
  • Reply 5 of 9
    YES!

Received MBP back today. Super-fast turn-around.

Sent in on Tuesday, received back today...Friday.

First, I'd like to say that I am impressed by Apple Repair...Even though the MBP was only officially authorized for the "Hum" fix, I decided to go ahead & stick a hand-written note on a 3"x5" note card on top of the MBP. I wrote on there, "Technician, please take note of warped case fix if you believe it s/b repaird."

They did! Finally, I have a non-rocking, -flush- display when closed.

However, more importantly.....

That infernal Buzz/Whine is utterly gone when on battery power. Dead silent. Before, running on battery, it was quite annoying & definitely too loud to use in a classroom.

One difference is that now, when plugged in, there is a slight buzzy/odd electrical sound...but it is quite muted...I have to put my ear within 1 foot of the upper left aspect of the MBP in order to hear it. This is more than acceptable.

Parts replaced are:

630-7684 SVC, MLB, 2.0GHZ, 128VRAM(M1-CAP)

612-0020 ASSY, INVERTER, NCC

as an aside, in the 80F room I'm in, the MBP is operating at 50C/122F. Before the repair, I was running at 67C *all the time* regardless of room temp. Of course, if I stressed the CPU, the temp. would climb into mid- 70's. I've only had the MBP on for 15-20 minutes...I'm sure the temps will climb a bit more...but, again, before repair..it would ramp to 67C in a couple of minutes.

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

btw: turning on the mirror widget eliminates the slight buzz there is when it's plugged in...However, buzz comes back on when mirror widger is turned off.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Included in the box is a letter from Apple stating:

"While repairing your MacBook Pro, Apple installed a different version of the Main Logic Board (MLB). The new MLB provides equal functionality to the one it replaces. It does not add any additional functionality."
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Just curious, but when you guys are complaining about a whine, do you mean a high pitched tinny sounding noise? I also hear this, though barely. I also hear this from my 3 year old Thinkpad at work. Acutally, I always thought it was the hard drive spinning or a fan or something. It never bothered me since it was hardly audible, but maybe you guys are experiencing something else?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

Just curious, but when you guys are complaining about a whine, do you mean a high pitched tinny sounding noise? I also hear this, though barely. I also hear this from my 3 year old Thinkpad at work. Acutally, I always thought it was the hard drive spinning or a fan or something. It never bothered me since it was hardly audible, but maybe you guys are experiencing something else?

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_gf...search=macbook
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Damn, I watched that youtube video & that is loud.

That particular issue seems to be the inverter problem.

My buzz/whine sounded like that...but not quite *that* loud. My buzz came from upper left speaker area, and also middle of keyboard, close to the # keys.