PureFTPD and Active Directory?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Has anyone deployed PureFTPD (or Rumpus) into production using AD based users and groups?

I just bought a new Xserve for FTP. It is replacing a 10.2.8 (Jag) server running on an old G4 tower. Currently all my FTP users and groups are stored locally in a NetInfo database, and its a pain in the butt to manage (considering its one the only servers I have out of a total of 30 servers that doesn't leverage Active Directory)

I have been testing and researching Tiger Server's default FTP services (xftpd - which is Apples version of WU-FTP) and I am considering other options. Apple doesnt seem to be very focused on FTP, and thus Id like to look at other solutions. Im considering PureFTPD and Rumpus. Do you know if any of these FTP products can work with AD?

Im not really excited about Rumpus because its partially a Java based solution (and I personally think Java sucks on OS X) and their customer service is horrible. Try to get a human to call you back. Grrrr. Im most interested in PureFTPD at this point in time.

Are there any other 3rd party FTP services (open source, commercial or otherwise) I should consider that would work well with AD?

Before you begin talking about how lame FTP is regarding security,etc and praising the concepts of SFTP and WebDAV - keep in mind that eventually I will migrate away from conventional FTP, but right now I cant for several reasons - not worth mentioning here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Before you begin talking about how lame FTP is regarding security,etc and praising the concepts of SFTP and WebDAV - keep in mind that eventually I will migrate away from conventional FTP, but right now I cant for several reasons - not worth mentioning here.

I was going to give you that exact rant and would like to hear a compelling reason. If you already have NetInfo, save a lot of time and add a lot of security by using NetInfo's user accounts through SFTP. I mean, seriously, it's already there.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I was going to give you that exact rant and would like to hear a compelling reason. If you already have NetInfo, save a lot of time and add a lot of security by using NetInfo's user accounts through SFTP. I mean, seriously, it's already there.

I can give you 31 reasons, LOL, but for now I just need to focus on the subject of this thread.