How do you connect to the Internet?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious how things have changed over the years. My dad in Ohio still uses dial-up (all that is available), which seems a little stone-age, even for not ultra-western countries.

So, how do you connect to the internet? (at HOME)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I don't see Fios on the list.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    In philadelphia it is far cheaper to get DSL than cable...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Cable 1mb, but I'm changing to 3mb DSL in two months for less money
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Dial-up at home (since DSL isn't available and Cable costs a fortune)...and I'll be off to College this year, so it doesn't matter.

The wonderfully speedy MIT connection at work.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    DSL.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    How come there's no choice for "psychically"?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    1.5Mbps cable, and I hope I never see dial up again.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I'm still in the dark ages, I use Dial-up..

Cable and DSL are still do expensive plus my house has poor reception, Dial-Up is slow here and from what I was told if I got DSL it would still be slower then normal, so I'm not going to pay $40 for crappy DSL!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    4Mbps cable. 512k/s down, 50k/s up for the rip off price of US $55 a month.

soon, in my new temporary home, I'll be connecting via satellite.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    6Mb DSL through DSLExtreme.

Love them and love my speed.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm curious how well FiOS is doing in competition with cable. I have FiOS and I switched from Comcast. I'll likely move to Dish vs FiOS TV as the lineup I want is cheaper from Dish and there's no real triple play discount (i.e. my Vonage is cheaper than Verizon's offering).

Vinea
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I have 10Mbps/500kbps cable connection with 59?(73$)/month, but compared to connections in sweeden I feel robbed. Those bastards get 100Mbps/10Mbps for 320kr=35?(43$). Of course it's not available every where, neither is my cable modem, but it covers like 50 of the biggest towns in sweden. Damn you sweden damn you, dont even get me started with your women
  • Reply 13 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    In Cincinnati, where I lived for a bit, I read they are really deploying internet-over-power-lines, and they just started with phone service over power lines. You plug a $30 box into any outlet in the house and have internet/phone service. Their customer satisfaction has been pretty high. Price is $50 a month for internet & phone and $20 or $30 just for internet. it's especially good there, since phone & DSL is very expensive due to the Cincinnati Bell monopoly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    20 Mbps down 1024 kbps up DSL connection for ? 19,95 per month.