Rosetta with Core 2 Duo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know rosetta will still be slower than native of course, but how do you think it would compare with the core 2 duo chips intead of the core duo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I think it will run 20-30% faster. The beautiful thing is, upgrading from a TiBook 867mhz, a dual 2Ghz Intel Core processor will be faster at PPC binaries than this PPC machine at most tasks.... mmm.... speed....
  • Reply 2 of 37
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I think it will run 20-30% faster. The beautiful thing is, upgrading from a TiBook 867mhz, a dual 2Ghz Intel Core processor will be faster at PPC binaries than this PPC machine at most tasks.... mmm.... speed....

I remember when this happen with the 680x0 emulator on the PowerPC. Technology marches on. At least the PPC will remain faster at a few specific tasks for a while, whereas the 680x0 was pretty much outclassed in everything right away, even under the emulator.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Rosetta on Core Duo is already fast. Fast enough for nearly everything short of professional use production quality apps. A 20-30% speed boost with Core2 Duo should fix even that.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Core 2 Duo increases cache size and that'll help a lot I think, but the main resource hog of Rosetta is hat it uses A LOT OF RAM. ~400 MB + 25% extra from every PPC app. Core 2 Duo won't change any of that, but we will be able to use more than 2 GB of RAM.. and that'll be quite welcome. I'm not sure what 64 bit will do for Rosetta..
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Rosetta on Core Duo is already fast. Fast enough for nearly everything short of professional use production quality apps. A 20-30% speed boost with Core2 Duo should fix even that.

Right, maybe I should rephrase the question.

How do you think photoshop's performance will change using the core 2 duo compared to the core duo.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    What part of
    Quote:

professional use production quality apps

doesn't scream Photoshop!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

What part of doesn't scream Photoshop!

misread your reply. My humble apologies. And thanks for the info btw.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    No worries. And the performance under Rosetta should be acceptable/comparable, not mind-blowing compared to current G5's. I would expect mind-blowing will occur when Adobe finally delivers the Universal Binary CS suite.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

No worries. And the performance under Rosetta should be acceptable/comparable, not mind-blowing compared to current G5's. I would expect mind-blowing will occur when Adobe finally delivers the Universal Binary CS suite.

yes of course, of which I can deal with Rosetta until then.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Can someone remind me (or point me to) the details of the speed increase that Merom will bring?

Is it 20-30% like people were referencing above?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    20 % performance increase at the same wattage. According to Intel.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Core 2 Duo increases cache size and that'll help a lot I think, but the main resource hog of Rosetta is hat it uses A LOT OF RAM. ~400 MB + 25% extra from every PPC app. Core 2 Duo won't change any of that, but we will be able to use more than 2 GB of RAM.. and that'll be quite welcome. I'm not sure what 64 bit will do for Rosetta..

Core Duo can now support 4GB of RAM. I know Dell laptops using the Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) that support 4GB of RAM. I even wonder if the MBP's can support 4GB now if one was to get 2 2GB cards.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes, MacBook Pros can use 4 GBs of RAM.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Can address 4GB - maybe.

Except that there are only 2 slots, and no one makes 2GB DIMMs yet . . .
  • Reply 15 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, there's 2 GB DIMMs. I can point them out to you if you like. However, I won't bother because you can't have them for below $1k each anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    adezeroadezero Posts: 13member
    wouldn't 4 gigs of ram be overkill?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    No, just like nobody ever found 640K to be enough. Unless all you do is surf the web and do email extra RAM will help. Especially if you have any apps that run under Rosetta.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I want 4GB so I can run my Parallels stuff even better.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The funny thing about Rosetta is that it never seems to max out the CPU. My guess would be it would increase speed if the chips are faster per clock cycle but any more increase than that would be null. My $0.02.
  • Reply 20 of 37

That makes so little sense I feel dumber just reading it.