Region Free DVD playing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I want to play a Region 2 DVD without spending one of the region changes in the DVD player app. I have an iMac G5, and I'm not sure if "Region X" works or not.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Use VLC

I also have RegionX, but to use it you need to flash the firmware of your DVD drive, and this comes with a risk. If the new firmware doesn't install correctly it can render your drive useless, and void any warranty too. Not heard of this happening to anyone though.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Or rip it with MacTheRipper, watch it, and then delete it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    VLC doesn't seem to play the disk. After using Mac the Ripper, it didn't seem to work either. VLC recognizes that a disc is there, but there's no playback.

I'm starting to think that the disc is somehow bad. Grrr. For the record, it's the (real) Gumball 3000 video narrated by Burt Reynolds. I bought from eBay from some wank in the UK.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    VLC can be temperamental when you first insert the disc, and thereafter when you try and play successive discs. You need to insert the disc and then activate VLC. Click play and it will let you browse for media. Click disc and it should see it and be set to DVD. OK that and then press play again. It's not the most stable or reliable app, especially on my old G3PB, but it does the job usually.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'll try again. I suppose the fact that I'm force-quitting DVD player can't be good either. Otherwise, I have no idea how to kill the region dialog box and DVD player app before it spits out my DVD.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'll try again. I suppose the fact that I'm force-quitting DVD player can't be good either. Otherwise, I have no idea how to kill the region dialog box and DVD player app before it spits out my DVD.

In System Preferences, go to CDs & DVDs, and make sure "Insert video DVD" isn't set to open DVD Player.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ^^^ Wot 'e says. System Prefs/CD+DVD/ set to "Ignore" for DVD's.

Launch VLC, click PLAY and select DISC and OK.

Click PLAY.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    BTW Splinemodel, UK is region 1 just like USA and Canada, not region 2. Western Europe is region 2. So you should not have to change regions at all if you bought the DVD in the UK.

Cheers
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I heard somewhere that there is no hacks for these newer drives, but I could be wrong
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

BTW Splinemodel, UK is region 1 just like USA and Canada, not region 2. Western Europe is region 2. So you should not have to change regions at all if you bought the DVD in the UK.

Cheers

I bought the DVD from eBay. The seller was from the UK. The DVD appears to be a UK edition, although it wasn't exactly a major pressing. It's quite likely that it was produced in western Europe, and sold in England by a producer with little attention to detail.

For the record, It is a Region 2 and 4 disc.

Also, thanks for the System Preferences tip. I'm an EE, and a good one (dammit!), but I can never keep up with all the new goings-on in OSes. Especially Windows.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    UK is region 2, same as the rest of Western Europe and Japan. I would never buy a DVD player that isn't region free though.

DVD Regions...

Didn't know about them closing the gap on the new Intel Macs. Another reason to delay upgrading 'til someone does a work-a-round
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Region coding is the stupidest idea ever.

Agreed. Not only is it irritating to the consumer, but it appears to have totally backfired as an anti-priacy measure.

The disc still won't play. I cleaned off the bottom and ran it through "mac the ripper," but still no luck. Mac the ripper says the DVD has bad sectors -- I'm not sure what that impacts, but perhaps that's why it doesn't play.

• Reply 13 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Mac the ripper says the DVD has bad sectors -- I'm not sure what that impacts, but perhaps that's why it doesn't play.

If it says "bad sectors" then you are unlucky. It is very unlikely to get it play in a Mac. But I have seen such DVDs with bad sectors playing just fine under Windows.