Lacie/Samsung SH-S162L Firmware Update

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all.

I recently purchased a Lacie SH-S162L DVD+/-R/RW with lightscribe, which is apparently just the Samsung SH-S162L. The drive is sort of OK... It burns CDs and DVDs, but not without tossing up errors, which, I found out, are related to the firmware, which Samsung has updated already on their website.

Question:

1) There's apparently no way to update the firmware on the Mac...the download is an .exe. Can I update the firmware on another PC and expect it all to work fine when I put it back in my Mac? That is, these firmware updates aren't OS-specific, are they?

2) Is there a way for me to update this firmware in linux? I have a PC with it installed, and I just don't feel like taking my wife's PC apart to fix my drive.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well, you could install WINE in Linux (or CodeWeavers' CrossOver Office) and try to run the .exe that way. Assuming you have Ubuntu, you would type in the Terminal:

Quote:

sudo firmwareupdate.exe

and it should run just fine. If you don't have Ubuntu, you can use

Quote:

su firmwareupdate.exe

This may not work though. Or it may burn your hair. Be careful.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, you could install WINE in Linux (or CodeWeavers' CrossOver Office) and try to run the .exe that way. Assuming you have Ubuntu, you would type in the Terminal:

and it should run just fine. If you don't have Ubuntu, you can use

This may not work though. Or it may burn your hair. Be careful.

GC: I've got Ubuntu installed.... How much of a PITA is WINE to install?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It's not at all.

Quote:

sudo apt-get install wine

is the command-line version of it, or you could just use Synaptics for a GUI. Search for 'wine'. You may have to enable the 'universe' and 'multiverse' repositories in Synaptics.

Also, this article may be helpful about installing things in Ubuntu.