Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

In theory, yes, but the proximity sensing still throws a monkey wrench because a finger near the secondary button while clicking the primary button registers as a secondary button click.

I tried every mighty mouse in the Apple store my last trip there, I couldn't get a single one to right-click properly with consistency! I'll wait until Apple comes out with a true 2 button mouse, not a 1.5 button one...
  • Reply 42 of 111
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Because it's not two real buttons and cannot be used as efficiently as a real second button. The proximity sensing demands that a finger to be away from the left mouse button in order to click the right mouse button, which isn't ergonomic. It's a contrived solution.

Not really. It's just different to older mechanically operated mice buttons which let you leave a finger on the other button. Most people get used to it in no time at all.

Quote:

Left-handed use of this mouse is exceedingly irritating too because it would assume the secondary button for every click.

You can configure the buttons either way. See http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html and watch the preference animation.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    People who actually own them seem to come to love them very quickly.

I am buying two today. Can't wait.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

In theory, yes, but the proximity sensing still throws a monkey wrench because a finger near the secondary button while clicking the primary button registers as a secondary button click.

Not in theory, in real life. Are you on crack?

I'm quite left handed, and I use my mighty mouse quite well. I think that obviously it's not for everyone, but to insinuate that it's unusable for a left-handed person is just off the wall BS.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

I tried every mighty mouse in the Apple store my last trip there, I couldn't get a single one to right-click properly with consistency! I'll wait until Apple comes out with a true 2 button mouse, not a 1.5 button one...

It IS a true 2-button mouse ? my dad has one, and while I prefer my Kensington mouse, I can easily right-click every single time. Perhaps you keep leaving your index finger resting on the left button?
  • Reply 46 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

" In fact, the average desk harbors 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.

That would explain why there's always so much crap on my desk...
  • Reply 47 of 111
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    It took me about 3 days of hating it when I first got my Mighty Mouse to finally love it over any other mouse I've ever used.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

But where, oh where, are the bluetooth trackballs? *sniff*

- Jasen.

P.S. Thank heaven the Mighty Mouse banner finally pushed the TV ads off the front page of Apple's site!

That's what bothers me. I don't use mice. Trackballs seem to use some other, usually proprietary radio method. I don't want another wireless method.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Is this the real precursor to the wireless iPod? A little segue for Steve, perhaps?
  • Reply 50 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Bluetooth trackball:

http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html

I don't know why you'd want Bluetooth for something you leave in the same place on your desk all the time though.

I designed my computer desk with two slide out units. The top one holds the remote switchbox, keyboard, and trackball. The bottom, much deeper one holds a 12 x 18 drawing tablet, and rulers etc.

When pulling the shelves out, and pushing them in, wires can get snagged. Even though I have methods to try to prevent that, with a complex set-up, it's impossible. No wires are much better. I use Apple's wireless keyboard, but it doesn't have a USB socket.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

Or maybe that worrying about surface bacteria is about the dumbest thing in the world and a scam perpetrated by disinfectant companies to sell their products.

No.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    hkbaqhkbaq Posts: 58member
    is there anything else that changed, besided the cord?

is the regular mighty mouse laser too?

what about battery life?
  • Reply 53 of 111
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hkbaq

is there anything else that changed, besided the cord?

is the regular mighty mouse laser too?

what about battery life?

The old mice were optical and not as accurate as even a normal basic optical Microsoft Intellimouse so hopefully that's a big improvement. I don't know about battery life but the old bluetooth mouse wouldn't run on one battery.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Not in theory, in real life. Are you on crack?

I'm quite left handed, and I use my mighty mouse quite well. I think that obviously it's not for everyone, but to insinuate that it's unusable for a left-handed person is just off the wall BS.

The original driver certainly was unusable, IMO. It might be fixed but I'd have to uninstall USB Overdrive to test it out again.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Bluetooth trackball:

http://www.chwangyi.com/the_ball.html

ewww... I can't stand the palm trackball mice. Using the thumb is way more precise and less wrist strain since you never actually have to twist your hand.

Quote:

I don't know why you'd want Bluetooth for something you leave in the same place on your desk all the time though.

Say you have you have a really large monitor which you place a long distance away from yourself and so your mouse cable won't reach that far.

Or in my case, I have a pullout keyboard drawer and the cable tends to snag and/or get caught on something every now and then. Or when I connect new devices/change things around, and some other cables pile on top of the mouse cable, weigh it down, causing the mouse to get pulled off the edge of the tray.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

The original driver certainly was unusable, IMO. It might be fixed but I'd have to uninstall USB Overdrive to test it out again.

I have no idea about the original driver, but it works just the same for a right or left handed person at the very least, as of February 06 when I got my iMac.

Being a bit ambidextrous, I have in fact had it set up both ways.

Perhaps you should make sure you're not spouting out of date opinions in the future?
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Perhaps you should make sure you're not spouting out of date opinions in the future?

Maybe because I've never seen anything, anywhere, mention an updated driver? Maybe the PPC driver is still behind, the proximity detection is still problematic.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, that wasn't my intention.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Not really. It's just different to older mechanically operated mice buttons which let you leave a finger on the other button. Most people get used to it in no time at all.

I understand that most people might get used to it, but I highly doubt it's ergonomical, especially in light of having to move two fingers to make one click, rather than just one, or always hovering the hand rather than letting it rest.

Quote:

You can configure the buttons either way. See http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html and watch the preference animation.

I know you probably think I am stupid for not trying that, but I really have tried that control panel, the proximity sensing problem ran deeper than that.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Because when I travel I'd rather just pull out the device (trackball or mouse) and not deal with running cables across a conference table, or hotel bed, or airport chair.

And I have the drawer issue like melgross. My wired keyboard's cable was too short and I had to buy an extender.

And, I'm a Mighty Mouse owner and hater. Came with my iMac. Tried it for a couple weeks. HORRIBLE little creature. (Left-handed too, FWIW).

Thanks for the link, though. If my current Kensington trackball ever dies I may try that one out.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

HORRIBLE little creature.

Oh yeah? Well...

the Mighty Mouse is NOT horrible.

this is an objective, reality based statement, so don't bother responding.