DDR PowerMacs - problems?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How do the power buttons work on your dual G4 DDRs? Mine powers-up fine from the display, but if I try the button on the CPU I generally get no lovin'. If I keep trying it eventually works, but the button gives no satisfying click and it doesn't give very much. Is this how it works on all of the new dual G4s?

Is anyone else having phantom problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by joesph mother:

<strong>How do the power buttons work on your dual G4 DDRs? Mine powers-up fine from the display, but if I try the button on the CPU I generally get no lovin'. If I keep trying it eventually works, but the button gives no satisfying click and it doesn't give very much. Is this how it works on all of the new dual G4s?

Is anyone else having phantom problems?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I dunno, I've only pushed it twice.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Satisfying click? Huh?

The front-mounted power buttons have NEVER "clicked" on the PowerMacs, as far as I can remember. All it should take is a gentle, soft push as the button glows brightly (not sure if the newest Mac's button lights up) for the brief instant you are pushing it. If you're trying to get it to click, you may have pushed it too hard, maybe broken it.

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Satisfying click? Huh?

The front-mounted power buttons have NEVER "clicked" on the PowerMacs, as far as I can remember. All it should take is a gentle, soft push as the button glows brightly (not sure if the newest Mac's button lights up) for the brief instant you are pushing it. If you're trying to get it to click, you may have pushed it too hard, maybe broken it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My QuickSilver 2002's button most definitely clicks. I can't turn it on or put it to sleep unless I make the button click, in fact. I just tried it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The power button on the new PowerMac will glow brightly if pushed - and will put the system to sleep if the machine is running (give it a sec - sometimes it takes a little while to go to sleep). If you hold down the button for a few seconds and then release, the machine will shut down. As far as booting up, just hit the button once, and it should work!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    My new DDR PowerMac's button makes a fairly soft click when pushed.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Im not satisfied too with the power button.

Where my old G4/400 needed only a soft push

I need much higher force to activate my new dual.

The first time I tried I thought it to be defective

Maybe quality problems?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Like Programmer, I have only used my Power button twice so far. Sleep is your Powermac's friend, especially if you're using X.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Sizzle and Programmer are encountering the same thing I have- I am now on Day 5 of UPTIME... no reboot, no problems. God bless the Jaguar, the most noble of all OSs....

I am taking down the Fisher-Price-XP blue of my office walls and replacing it with leopard-print Jaguar Faux Fur (but not faux b/c of any conscience on MY part- I would have the real stuff if I could...)

UberIM-Pressed
  • Reply 9 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    You're aware that "uber" means nothing, right?

G-News
  • Reply 10 of 12
    UBER = Absolutely Nothing. That is the point.

I have been a victim of Titular Promotion Syndrome... where you give a guy a killer title so he will keep working and think he is advancing, while really adding rungs above him on the corporate ladder. One of the ways they keep us on the little rat wheels we love so much.

"Vice President for East Coast Uber Promotions"

Welcome to corporate Amerika.

NothingInstaller.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I was rather trying to say it doesn't mean anything, not "nothing".

It's a non-word. An invention of pseudo German speaking Americans.

G-News
  • Reply 12 of 12
    The Ubermensch*, Nietzche's superman (lit, 'overman'), specifically meaning 'beyond normal'.

Then someone called someone else an 'ubergeek', and here we are....

Oh, and yes, it IS real German (usually).

* - Damn, where's that umlaut?

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: Capt. Obvious ]</p>