imac can't read install disk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay so i thought i post this here since i went to the mac genius and they could not figure it out:

About 2 mnths ago i disk utility told me that i had to repair disk.

i inserted the install disk and it took forever to read.

then i got the white startup screen with the (no-read sign ghostbusters)

so i restared my imac and then it went to the grey screen with the flashing folder for about 5 minutes and then continued to boot up.

i took it to the genius bar and they could not figure it out..since the same disk worked fine on my powerbook

so they had me sent a new install disk.

that didn't work. so i went it again and same thing..they had me sent a new install disk

well guess what it didn't work

mind you both these disks work just fine on my powerbook g4 1.5 ghz

my optical drive reads any disk i insert except for the OS X install disk.

any ideas?

i have an imac g5 2.1 ghz 2 gig RAM superdrive

ps-i have no idea if this has to do anything with anything but when i open photobooth effects my warhol one is missing 3 of the colored boxes...sooo strange!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    furious_furious_ Posts: 88member
    your Superdrive could be FUBAR F@#% beyond Repair
  • Reply 2 of 4
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Make sure you're using the disk for your iMac in the iMac, not the disk for your PowerBook. The OS X restore disks that come with your computer are tied to a certain model and you can't cross over.

Could also be that whatever is wrong on your disk is preventing the operation. The genius bar should offer more help than another install disk though. See if you can get a retail copy of Tiger to boot on your machine.

Also, make sure you hold down 'C' when the computer starts up and let go when you get to the grey screen with the Apple, so it knows to look for the disk. If holding C doesn't work, try holding D.

Let us know if that helps
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i tried holding down 'c' and 'd' and that didn't work

i know about the disks having to match your specific model..

i'm kinda wondering about that..

the disks i have are white and say os x tiger install disk not for resale.

i just don't understand why it would work on the powerbook and not on the imac.

i was gonna make an appt at the genuis bar but it seems they are swamped due to apple agreeing to the discoloration and whine issues.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msriotdoll

i tried holding down 'c' and 'd' and that didn't work

i know about the disks having to match your specific model..

i'm kinda wondering about that..

the disks i have are white and say os x tiger install disk not for resale.

i just don't understand why it would work on the powerbook and not on the imac.

i was gonna make an appt at the genuis bar but it seems they are swamped due to apple agreeing to the discoloration and whine issues.

Look on the disk, chances are it's for the powerbook. It should say. The disks I got with my iMac G5 are grey and there were two of them.

I'd be trekking up to the Genius Bar again when you get the chance and seeing what they can do ... or buy a retail copy of Tiger and try it out, but $129 is lot of money to plunk down for something that may or may not work.

I have a feeling the disk is bogus. Where did you get it from, again? Do you know where the disks that came with your iMac are?